Pre-Game Talk: Game 5: Tampa @ Toronto - April 27th, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If we are “exorcising demons” why not slay a few all at once. If the universe had a sense of humour, we would chase the Big Cat from the net, he gets pulled, has a hissy fit and knocks out the backup Elliot, gets put in custody, Tampa is forced to put in EBUG Zamboni driver and the Leafs put 15 past them for the series win.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Jarnkrok-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-O’Reilly-Acciari
AstonReese-Kampf-Lafferty
Extra: Bunting, Simmonds​

McCabe-Brodie
Giordano-Holl
Rielly-Schenn
Gustafsson-Liljegren
Mete-Timmins​

Samsonov
Woll
Kallgren

The Nylander with Matthews people will be happy.

I am a Nylander without Tavares vice/versa people. I will only be happy if this works out.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I showed that in the last 8 games of the regular season he had a minuscule total of 2 minor penalties that resulted opposition power plays.

And you're right that he's a penalty magnet. A penalty magnet for the opposition. He lead the NHL in penalties drawn with 42. Assuming mostly power plays from those, that's about 10 PP goals for with a PP % at about 25%.

Mob wisdom is dumber than a bag of rocks.

Awesome math there sport, let me use your logic, when I eliminate my car payments and my mortgage, I have thousands of discretionary income, I bet the bank would be super happy if I used your voodoo math. When you eliminate what you don't like and keep what you do , its pretty easy to frame a positive story. Keep your day job, analytics is not your forte..

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You can't guarantee anything in life. Lafferty took a dumb penalty in Game 3. Nylander took a dumb penalty last game. Everyone is subject to it.

What we know is Bunting has been part of the top 6 in scoring for this team and provides an element that can be very beneficial.

We'll see how it turns out, but sitting out Bunting is playing scared instead of improving your team not playing perfect hockey. Keefe and the Bunting downers better hope they are right about it.

If I knew the future before game 2 and came to you and said a Leaf forward is going to do something dirty, and concuss a Tampa player. I gave you the option of Bunting, Lafferty, or Nylander. I also told you the action was consistent with that players reputation. Honestly who would you pick out of those three?

Reactions: egd27

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
We absolutly dont want them to treat it like a game 7.

Treat it like a normal regular season game. Yeah we choke when closing out series, Yeah its the first series win in 20 years, yeah it might save your GM's and Coaches job but at the end of the day, none of that stuff matters. You can't think about the outcome, only about the process, remember your job, execute it flawlessly. Each shift for 30 to 40 seconds, play smart, with purpose and play laser focused on making that the best shift of your season. the goal is not to to win four games, its to win 16, win four is pretty small in comparison to win 16.

Yeah we got 3 games to close this out but do you want to go back to Tampa, a place where we played arguably our worse 2 games of the season and have to win game 6. What are the odds Tampa loses all three games in Tampa?

Focused purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZEBROA

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ffs the border ads are back every 3 seconds. I’m out. Do you guys not realize the site is not usable like this.
Yeah it can get bad but who is the ‘you guys’ you’re complaining to?
Nothing Leaf fans can do about it.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Tonight is scary. A lot of other teams struggling to clinch or losing home ice as big favorites. I do not want to go back to Tampa. Please come focused and ready play.

Reactions: Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I just want to add I hate how this guy who has done nothing but bleed blue and white has turned into a whipping boy. He yaps too much, sure, people liked it until this narrative of the refs hating him started. The Cernak hit was a fluke, he was trying to protect himself and messed up. Yes he deserved a suspension for it but people act like he was out head hunting.

Agreed, I love what bunting brings.

Lineup is better with him in it. If muzzin was available, I doubt we worry about chemistry. If Tavares was able to go in game 5 against Montreal you put him in.

I know bunting isn’t these guys, but he’s a better player than zar or lafferty.

Knies stepping up has let us push our depth further down, we might want to use that

I guess I would have to see his face when he said it to be sure, but this sure sounds a little bit annoyed at how many bodies are in front of him, which sounds to me like blaming his weak ass defense. If that's the case.. you love to see it

That sounds like A SHOT AT TAVARES!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
My vows for tonight:

1) No matter how bad they play in the first period, or how many goals they are down I will not run to the HFBoards and scream "Dubas has to go!" or "Blow it up!" or just curse randomly.

2) If they lose, I will not conclude "here we go again" and just assume they lose in 7. The Bolts are a good team, they will be desperate tonight, not a given the Leafs can win even with a solid performance.

3) If they win, I will finally give Keefe some credit. Someone hold me to this as I don't trust myself.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Treat it like a normal regular season game. Yeah we choke when closing out series, Yeah its the first series win in 20 years, yeah it might save your GM's and Coaches job but at the end of the day, none of that stuff matters. You can't think about the outcome, only about the process, remember your job, execute it flawlessly. Each shift for 30 to 40 seconds, play smart, with purpose and play laser focused on making that the best shift of your season. the goal is to to win four games, its to win 16, win four is pretty small in comparison to win 16.

Yeah we got 3 games to close this out but do you want to go back to Tampa, a place where we played arguably our worse 2 games of the season and have to win game 6. What are the odds Tampa loses all three games in Tampa?

Focused purpose.
Im glad they weren't great the last 2 games. Incentives them to believe that they lost and need to bounce back.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Agreed, I love what bunting brings.

Lineup is better with him in it. If muzzin was available, I doubt we worry about chemistry. If Tavares was able to go in game 5 against Montreal you put him in.

I know bunting isn’t these guys, but he’s a better player than zar or lafferty.

Knies stepping up has let us push our depth further down, we might want to use that

That sounds like A SHOT AT TAVARES!
At the start of the season I would have agreed. Lately it seems all Bunting has brought is dives, angering refs and mental midget penalties. Hopefully sitting this round fires him up later in the playoffs which he will probably be needed.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
What a beautiful day tomorrow will be boys and girls, just tremendous. Tomorrow, April 27th, 2023. Is a day that could change the very future of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Tomorrow is an opportunity to stick up their middle fingers to the past, to start re-writing Leafs history in a positive tone again, tomorrow is an opportunity to make a statement that the Toronto f'ckin Maple Leafs are back.

All these past failures could be erased and forgiven with just ONE good god damn solid 60 minute effort tomorrow. Take control of your fate boys. Finish it in 5, make the city and the country proud of you.

GO LEAFS GO
It would also likely mean that our GM gets re-signed. I'd be good with that, but I recognize that's not a universally held position....

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
My vows for tonight:

1) No matter how bad they play in the first period, or how many goals they are down I will not run to the HFBoards and scream "Dubas has to go!" or "Blow it up!" or just curse randomly.

2) If they lose, I will not conclude "here we go again" and just assume they lose in 7. The Bolts are a good team, they will be desperate tonight, not a given the Leafs can win even with a solid performance.

3) If they win, I will finally give Keefe some credit. Someone hold me to this as I don't trust myself.
I cannot promise that I wont crap on Holl if he blows during times in the game. I accept he is part of the lineup but it is under protest. If he becomes a star, I will gladly take the flak.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Awesome math there sport, let me use your logic, when I eliminate my car payments and my mortgage, I have thousands of discretionary income, I bet the bank would be super happy if I used your voodoo math. When you eliminate what you don't like and keep what you do , its pretty easy to frame a positive story. Keep your day job, analytics is not your forte..
Let me summarize. You misinterpreted Keefe's quote about how Bunting is a penalty magnet, you won't acknowledge that Bunting hasn't taken many costly penalties, you seem incapable of comprehending some basic back of the envelope math and you made a nonsensical personal finances analogy. If you don't understand the simple concept that a misconduct and offsetting penalties have no negative impact on the team then I guess it's understandable that you took an interest bearing loan for a falling asset like an automobile.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Jarnkrok-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-O’Reilly-Acciari
AstonReese-Kampf-Lafferty
Extra: Bunting, Simmonds​

McCabe-Brodie
Giordano-Holl
Rielly-Schenn
Gustafsson-Liljegren
Mete-Timmins​

Samsonov
Woll
Kallgren

The Nylander with Matthews people will be happy.

This is my preferred lineup for tonight, with the 4th line limited to about 8 minutes, outside of Kampf's penalty killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad