Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Nucks 3 @ Sens 0 | Can't live if living is without Nilsson

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
We went 4-0-0 at the start of last season which set everybody up for unrealistic expectations...I think that the team is still adjusting to Green and his methods/systems..They're not as bad as everyone is perceiving them to be.

This team is terrible and looks to be another bottom five Benning special. This was apparent prior to the commencement of the regular season and isn't an over reaction.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We went 4-0-0 at the start of last season which set everybody up for unrealistic expectations...I think that the team is still adjusting to Green and his methods/systems..They're not as bad as everyone is perceiving them to be.

Yes, they most certainly are as bad as they are perceived. By January, we will be in agony watching this crap roster and hoping the draft comes sooner. Vanek and Gagner etc change nothing except the average age of this team and maybe some more loser points.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This team is terrible and looks to be another bottom five Benning special. This was apparent prior to the commencement of the regular season and isn't an over reaction.
They didn't look too bad in the pre season.....It's only been 4 games..jeez...but please carry on with the 'glass half empty' posts..

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes, they most certainly are as bad as they are perceived. By January, we will be in agony watching this crap roster and hoping the draft comes sooner. Vanek and Gagner etc change nothing except the average age of this team and maybe some more loser points.
I wouldn't have expected any less of a reply from you...but I believe Green is a good coach ..If we get to January and we are still sucking,I will gladly concede that I am wrong....Were only 4 games in....The overreaction here is astonishing.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well, since someone has to sit in the pressbox, I figure it's best if they called up Chaput for that job instead of Rodin or Goblin. It had better be Chaput sitting.

3-1 Canucks

Horvat, Hank and Jake

Burrows for the Sens

Green's MO is to switch lines and D-pairs all over the place for the first 20-25 games and drive the fan base crazy with it. He will try all kinds of unlikely combinations. You may all of a sudden see one of these combos much later in the season when an injury occurs because that combo showed it can work together if they have to.

After the experimentation time he will settle in on what has surfaced as the best combos and ride them hard towards a playoff berth. He usually rotates keepers based on performance. Marky was decent, pitched a stinker, and now Nilsson's in. If there is little difference, he will rotate them

You must realize these guys are basically a new team to him and he's not going to ride lines that used to be under another coach. He also gives responsibilities to his coaching staff. He isn't riding the Sedins on the PP his PP coach is. He doesn't usually make up the D-pairs, Nolan probably is. He will go just so long before he steps in and makes tweaks or major upheaval.

I have seen he has already put the Vancouver fan base into a tizzy. I expected it. You may remember that I was calling for his head in Utica after only maybe 15 games. I referred to him as a cardboard cutout due to his stoic, stationary position on the bench. He was emotionless no matter good or bad. He didn't coach or dress down any player on the bench. Eventually you will see what we saw. He transitions into a very interactive coach. We came to expect what you are seeing at the beginning of every season. Somewhere between US Thanksgiving and X-mas he transitions into his alter ego. The same makeover will be even more evident at practices if any of you take those in.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Anyone who was paying attention didn't have unrealistic expectations. In those four wins, we only spent two periods with a lead. A lot of extra time played where we won in either a shootout or overtime. We were generally outplayed at the start of that season, kind of like what we've seen at the start of this one (Edmonton game aside, that was probably the best I've seen this team play in years).

Anyway, Ottawa has been awesome lately, Karlsson is back. I'm still expecting a close game though, Ottawa stuttering a little as they rely on Karlsson to get back up to speed. Still, they're going to beat us at home, their first at Scotiabank place this season. 4-2 Final.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Green's MO is to switch lines and D-pairs all over the place for the first 20-25 games and drive the fan base crazy with it. He will try all kinds of unlikely combinations. You may all of a sudden see one of these combos much later in the season when an injury occurs because that combo showed it can work together if they have to.

After the experimentation time he will settle in on what has surfaced as the best combos and ride them hard towards a playoff berth. He usually rotates keepers based on performance. Marky was decent, pitched a stinker, and now Nilsson's in. If there is little difference, he will rotate them

You must realize these guys are basically a new team to him and he's not going to ride lines that used to be under another coach. He also gives responsibilities to his coaching staff. He isn't riding the Sedins on the PP his PP coach is. He doesn't usually make up the D-pairs, Nolan probably is. He will go just so long before he steps in and makes tweaks or major upheaval.

I have seen he has already put the Vancouver fan base into a tizzy. I expected it. You may remember that I was calling for his head in Utica after only maybe 15 games. I referred to him as a cardboard cutout due to his stoic, stationary position on the bench. He was emotionless no matter good or bad. He didn't coach or dress down any player on the bench. Eventually you will see what we saw. He transitions into a very interactive coach. We came to expect what you are seeing at the beginning of every season. Somewhere between US Thanksgiving and X-mas he transitions into his alter ego. The same makeover will be even more evident at practices if any of you take those in.
Thanks for the write up BG....what you've written is pretty much what I expected...Green is basically seeing 'what he's got',and we're still in a 'adjustment period' for players and coaching staff alike.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Anyone who was paying attention didn't have unrealistic expectations. In those four wins, we only spent two periods with a lead. A lot of extra time played where we won in either a shootout or overtime. We were generally outplayed at the start of that season, kind of like what we've seen at the start of this one (Edmonton game aside, that was probably the best I've seen this team play in years).

Anyway, Ottawa has been awesome lately, Karlsson is back. I'm still expecting a close game though, Ottawa stuttering a little as they rely on Karlsson to get back up to speed. Still, they're going to beat us at home, their first at Scotiabank place this season. 4-2 Final.
You thought we were outplayed by the Senators when they were here.?..Baertschi almost won it for us in OT..That was a close game,although it was pretty boring (mainly due to Boucher's 1-3-1 deployment)

The Jets game was close...I wouldn't say we were dominated..It was a one goal game,until they got the empty netter..

Calgary game was not good..especially the execution (or lack thereof) of the PP.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Yesterday they had Hutton paired with RealGud in practice. They really need to stop trying to force that pairing, it doesn't work...
Hutton has just played his 150th game. We all know that it takes exactly 300 games played for a dman to 'get it'. Although in this environment provided by Benning and Linden - with such a great group of veterans, that have taught him how to win- his development has been accelerated. The genius that coach Green is proving to be has a brilliant plan - test Hutton at the 150/300 game mark with Gubranson. The point of this test? Well that's beyond my knowledge - I am just a casual fan and I need to show patience.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Don’t like Bo having to take the brunt of it again this year. He starts slow every year, and its not for a lack of effort. He has easily the best character along with Sedins and Tanev. He has always started slow, but when he gets going he’s a beast. Why take it out on him just because you know he’ll take the high road.

On the flip side, the comments from Vancouver media spread like wildfire. I hope Green will learn from it next time when the vultures come fishing for headlines.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am curious to see how our defence looks when we don't have last change.

i think the senators were the best coached team we have faced this year. well organized with total buy in, good defensive system and patiently waiting to pounce on mistakes with good opportunistic players. perfect road game execution.

we are disorganized, still breaking in our defensive coverage, prone to mistakes generally and trying too hard offensively leading to more mistakes. plus i am skeptical some of our personnel can consistently execute the high tempo approach green apparently wants.

hopefully the home ice and karllson return wrongfoots ottawa, or we get some early goals.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Travis Green is a great coach if you want to make the playoffs, and go for a cup run.

For a rebuilding team, he's a terrible fit. Given our team's position, we should've hired Trent Cull. He seems to be great with young kids, basically the anti-Green.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Well, we know they're awful and the brain trust in charge are buffoons. Nothing else to do but sit back and enjoy the journey I guess. Winning, or even just having some hope for the future doesn't seem to be in the cards for us so I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is. Following a losing team can have it's own rewards.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
They didn't look too bad in the pre season.....It's only been 4 games..jeez...but please carry on with the 'glass half empty' posts..

A team’s preseason record isn’t a great predictor of regular season success, and accordingly, basing your regular season expectations on their preseason record is unreasonable.

In terms of glass half empty, this team has been objectively awful over the past couple of seasons and this year’s team is substantially the same. Anyone that is predicting this team to be poor isn’t being pessimistic, they are being realistic. Predicting this team to be anything but poor is being optimistic and not grounded in rational thought.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The team is an absolute train wreck so far, Loui Eriksson has the worst contract in the entire NHL. Team is filled with slow, old junk with guys like Eriksson, Vanek, Gagner and even the Sedins as of right now. That being said the Sedins absolutely 100% should be given the benefit of the doubt due to their tremendous track records. They're 100% overpaid and over deployed right now, but they do still have value to a rebuilding team. The issue with this team and "blocking the youth"isn't the Sedins, it's soft tweeners like Gagner, Vanek and Eriksson players not only taking up valuable cap space, but they're clearly taking minutes away from good young players.

I'd much rather see Virtanen, Rodin, Boeser and Goldobin given a chance instead of watching these stale veterans. The Sedins are still valuable because they can help develop one of these wingers on their line, I felt like Goldobin should have been given a shot there but he had an awful training camp, but would still rather see him there than Vanek.

MDZ is the only signing I've liked so far, looks like a nice pick up.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A team’s preseason record isn’t a great predictor of regular season success, and accordingly, basing your regular season expectations on their preseason record is unreasonable.

In terms of glass half empty, this team has been objectively awful over the past couple of seasons and this year’s team is substantially the same. Anyone that is predicting this team to be poor isn’t being pessimistic, they are being realistic. Predicting this team to be anything but poor is being optimistic and not grounded in rational thought.
Fair enough....nobody is predicting these guys to be world beaters..As a fan though,I like to see good hockey..I think Green will get these guys to be competitive and fun to watch...If you want to keep constantly posting negativity (this is obviously the site to do it)....thats your prerogative..Thats why its a discussion board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad