f*** you Freddie Anderson

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
I'm not putting all the blame on Freddie but I do believe it's time to move on from him. Seems he is more injury prone than most goalies. Every year he has been average at best in the playoffs and average will not be enough if you want a shot at winning the whole ball of wax.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Watch out Freddie, Svechhammer is coming to get you

RDT_20240417_0803153477495043776664304.png

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yep have a nice night(I'm sure you will, I'll go smoke a bowl go to sleep and get up for work. )

Just cause I don't have the free time you do to frolick these boards doesnt mean I'm less diehard, neither know less about the game, that much is to be sure. Thanks for demonstrating that .. bud.
I don’t even know why you’re coming hard at me. My post was a joke poking fun at OP for losing his shit and nothing in this thread I posted was harsh in any way. Are you even responding to the right post. Legit confused here.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I was going to make fun of OP for misspelling Freddie’s last name, but I have it on good authority that Freddie was so embarrassed by his play, and feared OP’s threats that he decided to abandon his Nordic heritage, and assumed a new identity by changing the spelling of his last name.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I was going to make fun of OP for misspelling Freddie’s last name, but I have it on good authority that Freddie was so embarrassed by his play, and feared OP’s threats that he decided to abandon his Nordic heritage, and assumed a new identity by changing the spelling of his last name.
He’s finally ready to assume his rightful place at the car dealership

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Not for this one game specifically, but the Freddy problem was not Freddy's fault, in my opinion. We've all known for a couple of years now that Freddy is not a true #1 that you put out there night after night after night and expect sustained success. He needs breaks, not just for physical recovery, but also for mental. We've been playing him that way in the regular season for most of the time he has been here alternating him with Raanta or Kooch. But for some reason, our coaching staff reverts to the 1980's during the playoffs and suddenly expect him to "be the man" and carry the team in a way they wouldn't do in the regular season. I don't get it. If they had a true #2 backing him up, maybe I could see it. But they have a #1b to his #1a and yet they won't do the alternations in the playoffs because.....reasons?

Rod doesn't number his lines, but he sure does number his goalies I guess.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
he got me as a fan from last years ECF
He played phenomenal that series, really thought he would get it together. First goal was bad, 2nd was kinda weird if he just gloved it a tad quicker. Goals 3 & 4 no goalie had a chance.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As an outsider, who was supposed to do better?

Kotchekov was good in the regular season but Andersen was better (in a shorter sample). He also did not win the game he got. Maybe he would have done better if he played more games, maybe not.
Raanta is likely done has a NHL/AHL goalie.
Martin was worse than Andersen/Kotchekov in the regular season and has been a 3rd goalie at best most of his career.
Perets wasn't great in the ECHL.
The one counterpoint I would have regarding Kochetkov as an option is that Freddy was shaky after game 5 in the Isles series (didn't really have any "A" games in that series) and on the short turnaround for game 2 I probably would have gone to Kooch after the game 1 loss. Biggest issue is that he hadn't really worked up to a #1 type workload by the playoffs, and when he wasn't exactly on his game vs the Isles I would have been quick to pull the trigger on going to the backup. Rod's a more old school guy though so I get why he didn't, I just disagree with it based off what I had watched in the prior series.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The one counterpoint I would have regarding Kochetkov as an option is that Freddy was shaky after game 5 in the Isles series (didn't really have any "A" games in that series) and on the short turnaround for game 2 I probably would have gone to Kooch after the game 1 loss. Biggest issue is that he hadn't really worked up to a #1 type workload by the playoffs, and when he wasn't exactly on his game vs the Isles I would have been quick to pull the trigger on going to the backup. Rod's a more old school guy though so I get why he didn't, I just disagree with it based off what I had watched in the prior series.
And while I understood continuing with Andersen after the 2 days off before game 3, the <48 hour turnaround for game 4 appeared to be the right time to use Kochetkov as well.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I honestly have a hard time thinking of a single 5 bell save he made this series. And holy cow, he falls over more than a 70 year old grandmother.

He was so easily screened too, he couldn't track the puck for the life of him.

In retrospect, pretty impressive to go 6 with at kind of play.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The right time to use Kotchetkov was either Game 3 or Game 4 against the Islanders. That was the low risk play to give your 1b some time to stay fresh.

If that happens, maybe he's more ready to be thrown into the fire Game 3 against the Rangers. Maybe the coaching staff is quicker to pull the plug on an obviously shaky Andersen.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I honestly have a hard time thinking of a single 5 bell save he made this series. And holy cow, he falls over more than a 70 year old grandmother.

He was so easily screened too, he couldn't track the puck for the life of him.

In retrospect, pretty impressive to go 6 with at kind of play.
I think it was game 2 against the islanders he made a sweet glove save as he was falling backward. That only kinda serves to intensify your next point but I do remember at least that one great save

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
he got me as a fan from last years ECF
He played phenomenal that series, really thought he would get it together. First goal was bad, 2nd was kinda weird if he just gloved it a tad quicker. Goals 3 & 4 no goalie had a chance.
I re watched each goal , maybe he couldn't have saved on the 4th goal , but at slow motion he looked at the pass and puck go in front , he stayed put im sure someone else would have slid same motion as the puck.
First goal , I yelled what you doing on the ground get up and then a goal , second goal jump hard on the puck its not a kitten , 3rd nice deflection no chance (wish he had someone who can do that)
But stop the blame on Freddie , we already knew how he is , Brindy is to blame , Russian vs Russian always , they always seems to try to best each other , Jarvis not on top line and wtf was Comptois playing when we had Lemieux , screwing with KK (stop trying he cannot play wing) , Brindy is a Stubborn MF

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I would've loved to just alternate the same way we did in the regular season going into the playoffs and see if someone takes the reins. The Islanders (and perhaps this is disrespectful) seemed like a safe enough team to do that against. Then, if someone starts to fade off, or if someone starts to go bonkers, you have a bit more info and/or rest going into Round 2.

That said, I didn't really hate the notion of going into the playoffs with Freddie as the starter, either. And he played great for the first half of Round 1 and it seemed like the right move at the time.

What I don't like is the insistence on going back to the well after it proved not to work. Freddie was off, plain and simple. I'm not putting the whole series on him, but he was off, and anyone who's saying he wasn't is being unserious. It's not like giving Pyotr a chance would've been an overt shot across the bow at Freddie or anything either, you've been alternating for the last 2-3 months and it was time to alternate again.

Pyotr deserved a chance to show more than he did this playoff run, and unfortunately I do put Game 6 more on Freddie than anyone else. Goals 1 and 2 were eminently savable goals that cracked the door open for the Rangers and they did the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad