GDT: Game 5 | Columbus @ Minnesota | 8 PM EST

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Congrats to the team and to the fans. Just watching highlights and looking at the stats.. unbelievable shot differential - and there are some real bright spots, playing fast, great passing, some dangles. Need to get them believing in each other.. and knowing each player on the ice will be where they should be.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
something that is baffling to me… Tex has no points through 5 games while having the worst +/- on the team (+/- means little. I know).

he seems like he has been playing to atleast 2 points minimum these first 5 games. weird

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Gutsy road win. Dominated, but still had to get the victory in OT.

Two honest questions from a visitor...

Is Werenski okay? Big fan. Hope he's not being rushed, or rushing himself.

Can CBJ win with Merzlikins? No idea what options you have in net.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Can CBJ win with Merzlikins? No idea what options you have in net.

Probably not but we hope he returns to what he used to be given he has an untradeable contract.

Daniil Tarasov is his backup, and he is always injured.

Spencer Martin is a guy we found on the waiver wire.

Jet Greaves is an up and down AHL goalie with a cool name. We like goalies with cool names.

Sergei Ivanov is a promising Russian who is 5’10” or 5’11”, depending on the website. He has some folks excited.

Melvin Strahl is a 5th rounder we just drafted.

I’d say the Jackets future is Merzlikins figures it out, Ivanov overcomes the perceived height issue and is the real deal, or we don’t have our future goalie on the team. I lean towards the third option, but it would great if Merzlikins at least becomes a serviceable goalie while Ivanov cooks in the KHL for a few seasons.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
The book on Elvis seems to be, shoot the puck between his glove/blocker and pads. Seemed like damn near every Minny goal last night was to that area.

Other than Elvis, great team effort. Should have won going away. I love this 4th line. I have not been real big on Kuraly, or Roslovic, but they seem to be clicking with Danforth. Hope Vincent keeps them together and sees how this works longer term. Hell of a lot better 4th line than we saw before he put it together.

Reactions: I3LI3

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The book on Elvis seems to be, shoot the puck between his glove/blocker and pads. Seemed like damn near every Minny goal last night was to that area.
Maybe, but more so get traffic in front of him as he seems to be below average at tracking pucks. 1 or 2 goals last night I felt like he should have had if he just tracks it better. The other few Wild just did a damn good job taking his sight away.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I know there were a lot of negative voices after a couple of games but this team has looked solid for the last two

Anyone complaining after 4 games should not be listened to.

I just wanted to add a few comments rather than make it sound as harsh as it did. With a new coaching staff, so many new skaters and important players like Zach and Elvis coming back from injuries and Tex coming back…..to expect great things right out of the box would be really unfair. The fact that they are 3-2 seems about right given how they have played.

I know it seems ridiculous to ask fans of a team that have never won anything to keep being patient but I don’t know how else to watch his team right now other than being patient.

Last edited:

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
something that is baffling to me… Tex has no points through 5 games while having the worst +/- on the team (+/- means little. I know).

he seems like he has been playing to atleast 2 points minimum these first 5 games. weird
I have watched completly all the games, dissected Tex's games - same for almost all the others players - and yes indeed, I've rarely seen so much bad luck overall (in terms of points)

However he is still one of the best forward overall

For example, you take Danforth with 4 points, Sillinger with 2, it's insane to me to say they've been better overall (in terms of energy/grit, pucks steals, pure skill, creativity, defensive backchecks, puck battles wins, decisions etc)
That's why I usually say, don't rely ONLY on points to evaluate players, it's the easy way but not the truth of a whole game on the ice

Tex should have at least 3 or 4 points already, he is just not lucky at all, that's frustrating for him for sure, but it will come soon
I'm just a bit disappointed he's already off the PP, especially to see... Sillinger over him

Nice to see Fantili and Johnson score their 1st of the season too
And one last word for Roslovic, he's been really good on the last 2 games, congrats to him
:nod:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It appears both Jiricek and Bean were benched for the majority of the third period

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I hate when vets get a free pass for being vets. Gudbranson will block shots so clearly Vincent likes that but Gudbranson went from having a solid game to being on his heels as soon as he was forced to start playing those heavier minutes we all wanted him avoiding. If you wont trust Jiricek to play normal minutes then send him down, its by far the worst thing coach is doing currently

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Joking aside and as bad as Gudbranson can be he hasn't been that bad yet. The coach is trying to win hockey games and in a tight game he plays the guys who he thinks give the CBJ the best chance to win. At this point in time he thinks Gudbranson is one of those guys. Looks like he's protecting Jiricek, shortening his bench in a close game and not putting him in a position to fail. Jiricek is not going anywhere away from the NHL now and he looks more confident every game. I don't mind how Pazzy is handling him right now. I'm even less concerned about Bean as he's shown to be a good pro.

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023

Other than Elvis, great team effort. Should have won going away. I love this 4th line. I have not been real big on Kuraly, or Roslovic, but they seem to be clicking with Danforth. Hope Vincent keeps them together and sees how this works longer term. Hell of a lot better 4th line than we saw before he put it together.
Elvis has awful positioning. If he has to rely solely on his positioning, he concedes a lot. He's very athletic and can move side to side but in terms of making saves with screens around him, he's not good. He's often too deep in his net or just off the angle completely.

I'll give him a pass for this last game bc I realize he's been sick and he's been solid other than that but he almost gave away this game.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Maybe, but more so get traffic in front of him as he seems to be below average at tracking pucks. 1 or 2 goals last night I felt like he should have had if he just tracks it better. The other few Wild just did a damn good job taking his sight away.
Problem is, one of the goals scored was because there were about six guys in front of him and he had no chance of seeing it.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The Blue Jackets dialed up 54 shots on goal in Saturday’s win over Minnesota, tied for the fourth most among regular-season games in franchise history. Odd fact: The Jackets haven’t won any of those five games in regulation. Odder fact: All five of those games have been on the road. The franchise record is 60 shots on goal in a 3-2 shootout win at Arizona on Dec. 3, 2016. The other games were losses at Toronto (57 shots in a 6-3 loss on Feb. 14, 2018), at New Jersey (55 shots in a 4-3 shootout loss on Feb. 16, 2020), and at Arizona (54 shots in a 2-0 loss on April 3, 2012).

It’s interesting that Arizona shows up twice on that list, some five seasons apart. It was the same Coyotes goaltender — Mike Smith — in both of those games.

from Portzline’s Sunday article

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad