GDT: Game 5: Blue Jackets @ Wild - 7 PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
They did not deserve a point tonight. Gus was good, Johansson with his best game of the season and Zuke got a goal. All in all, a point was a good outcome of a game like this.
CBJ did really well and I think more teams is going to be outshot and outplayed by them. Take the loss, move on.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If he freezes the puck it wasn't a rebound

If it's a rebound he can't freeze the puck

okay? gobble up pucks, swallow pucks, be a vacuum cleaner, or be made of velcro sound better to you. Whatever it takes for him not to do his best Talbot impression.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Just got to watch the highlights, so I'm sure I missed some key things in the game, but I have to wonder, did Dean ask Zuccarello to shoot more? I'm sure Mats has been told to do that in the past, but maybe this time it was phrased as "pass it to the net as hard as you can." It was good to see him get his first, and second, and then back to first goals of the season.

Rossi looked fast in the highlights. He have a good game?

Man, that shot disparity. Good thing Gus can play, but this team needs to get more pucks on the net.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I'm as big a pessimist as anyone. Actually probably more than most. I said the same thing last year as well, but this is likely to be par for the course the next 2 or so years. Especially unless that defense gets it figured out. That said, the team is 5 games in. Being realistic, until they get to the 10-15 games played range, they don't really even get into a groove.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Roughly 1 in 5 shots against Gus this year are from rebounds. I don't consider this acceptable from any goalie.
Seems kind of like the +/- for goalie stats, especially since we know that all shots aren't created equal.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Watched just about every minute last night. There were some bright spots(Gus, Johansson), but in general, we were badly outplayed by CBJ, at home. If that doesn't set off warning bells I don't know what else will, but with Guerin's idiot signings locking us into old and slow for the foreseeable future it's hard to see a way forward.

We basically have no help coming from Iowa...maybe a Dman in 2-3 months?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Watched just about every minute last night. There were some bright spots(Gus, Johansson), but in general, we were badly outplayed by CBJ, at home. If that doesn't set off warning bells I don't know what else will, but with Guerin's idiot signings locking us into old and slow for the foreseeable future it's hard to see a way forward.

We basically have no help coming from Iowa...maybe a Dman in 2-3 months?
Boldy should be back rather quickly. Russo made it sound less severe than Spurgeon’s injury. Spurgeon should be back soon.

I’d like to see them trade Merrill for FC and call up someone like Lambos/Hunt/O’Rourke. When Addison is traded over the summer, Spacek to replace.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Walker sent down, I guess they'll try Khaira or Lettieri against the Oilers.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Walker has got to take advantage of one of these call ups or he’s gonna run out of chances

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean, he got 7 minutes of TOI last game with the 4th line. I thought he looked ok...certainly nothing earthshaking, but ok. It's not like he was the problem last night. It's subpar performances by a LOT of the regulars who should be better, and the management with unrealistic expectations of others. If Gus hadn't been so good it would've been 10-4.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I mean, he got 7 minutes of TOI last game with the 4th line. I thought he looked ok...certainly nothing earthshaking, but ok. It's not like he was the problem last night. It's subpar performances by a LOT of the regulars who should be better, and the management with unrealistic expectations of others. If Gus hadn't been so good it would've been 10-4.
Oh, yeah my comment wasn't meant as much of a knock on Sammy overall as much as comment that the whole team needs D play right now more than scoring depth. Khaira is actually pretty great in that respect.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Gus was average last night. He made some big saves, but he was also lost on a couple goals he gave up. It evens out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Gus *could've* saved all them, but I don't think he *should've* saved any of them.

And when you make 49 other saves, it's takes you out of "average".

Pointing at Gus, when he was playing behind that team last night, is a subpar critique, IMO.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Gus *could've* saved all them, but I don't think he *should've* saved any of them.

And when you make 49 other saves, it's takes you out of "average".

Pointing at Gus, when he was playing behind that team last night, is a subpar critique, IMO.

I'm just not playing favorites on here. Everyone should be called out for their play on it's own merits, not just better than the rest of the garbage. Swap the names around from the golden children to the whipping boys.

So, if MAF lets goals 1 and 3 happen, he doesn't get blasted on here? Doesn't know where the puck is, overplaying and putting himself out of position, and then making a weak stick sweep attempt to cover it up? Or if MAF was the one leaving juicy rebounds all over the place, he wouldn't be getting called out left and right all game?

How about if it Addison was the one that was lost on the ice on OT goal and not Faber. Or if it was Addison that was on the ice for 3 GA instead of the 1 (FO goal he could do nothing about).

Or it was Boldy that scored a goal, had one called back, and then tries to pass instead of shoot in OT? It would be something along the lines of "well he had a good game overall, just made a mistake in OT."

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm just not playing favorites on here. Everyone should be called out for their play on it's own merits, not just better than the rest of the garbage. Swap the names around from the golden children to the whipping boys.

So, if MAF lets goals 1 and 3 happen, he doesn't get blasted on here? Doesn't know where the puck is, overplaying and putting himself out of position, and then making a weak stick sweep attempt to cover it up? Or if MAF was the one leaving juicy rebounds all over the place, he wouldn't be getting called out left and right all game?

How about if it Addison was the one that was lost on the ice on OT goal and not Faber. Or if it was Addison that was on the ice for 3 GA instead of the 1 (FO goal he could do nothing about).

Or it was Boldy that scored a goal, had one called back, and then tries to pass instead of shoot in OT? It would be something along the lines of "well he had a good game overall, just made a mistake in OT."
I can't speak for everybody else, but no, I would not be blaming Fleury for last night's loss.

I don't think anybody was particularly good last night, even the "golden boys". But I am going to give credit to a goalie that made 49 saves in a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad