GDT: Game 49: Columbus at New York Rangers | 1/31 7PM

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If The Rangers convert on one of their 70 chances they had in the first period they probably win that game. Their goaltending really cost them tonight. Our defensive play was just awful. So many breakdowns. So many stupid turnovers and missed assignments. Korpi let in a softy (the first one) and really looked shaky in the 3rd. I don't believe in the kid, he's not ready to be backup and neither is Forsberg. We need someone.

Our 2nd period was actually really good. What a reversal.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If The Rangers convert on one of their 70 chances they had in the first period they probably win that game. Their goaltending really cost them tonight. Our defensive play was just awful. So many breakdowns. So many stupid turnovers and missed assignments. Korpi let in a softy (the first one) and really looked shaky in the 3rd. I don't believe in the kid, he's not ready to be backup and neither is Forsberg. We need someone.

Our 2nd period was actually really good. What a reversal.

No Savard. Jones played in the ASG and flew cross-country west to east. Prout was on the ice. ;)

Miggus

Feb 8, 2011
I'm guessing Torts is going to make another burn the tape remark after this one, at least defensively.

What he ought to do is have Dan Singleton make an hour or two long video loop of the plays that resulted in Rags' 2nd and 3rd goals and then sit the guys down to watch it taking notes.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Not making excuses for the defense, but look around the NHL tonight, a ton of high-scoring games. Looks like a lot of teams are a little lax in their own end.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm in a good mood. I came home in time to watch the third period. Then I watched the first 40 minutes. The team can score. (Really they never stopped).

Korpi let in a softy (the first one) and really looked shaky in the 3rd. I don't believe in the kid, he's not ready to be backup and neither is Forsberg. We need someone.

C-Mac for a 5th?

Anyone ready to see Kukan for Prout next game (assuming Savard can't go)?

I would love to see what Kukan can do.

I noticed turnovers by everyone but Harrington tonight, so I hope he stays in.

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Go Jackets! Concerning third period. Joonas looked good aside from breakdown. Unfortunately games like this don't give us a firm idea about backup. Y'all still think we need to pick some one up? I'm sure they will at least look at the options....

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Go Jackets! Concerning third period. Joonas looked good aside from breakdown. Unfortunately games like this don't give us a firm idea about backup. Y'all still think we need to pick some one up? I'm sure they will at least look at the options....

Yes, I do think we need to pick a backup goaltender up. Him and Forsberg can get rattled/shaken rather easily in the NHL. I'm not feeling confident with him as our backup goalie heading into the playoffs. His positioning can be pretty bad at times and it doesn't get any better when he's shaken. I'd rather not have to rely on scoring 5 goals a game when he's in net in order to come away with a win come stretch time/playoffs.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Yes, I do think we need to pick a backup goaltender up. Him and Forsberg can get rattled/shaken rather easily in the NHL. I'm not feeling confident with him as our backup goalie heading into the playoffs. His positioning can be pretty bad at times and it doesn't get any better when he's shaken. I'd rather not have to rely on scoring 5 goals a game when he's in net in order to come away with a win come stretch time/playoffs.

Korp over commits on plays really badly. I feel like he wants to be a very aggressive goaltender, but in the NHL the play moves so much faster and he ends up getting caught in the wrong place a lot.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
C-Mac for a 5th?

Funny I had that thought this weekend of having to give up something like a 5th or 6th for a guy similar to CMAC.

I guess good news is we are winning ugly games a lot more frequently than past years. But they need to get started in better trajectory. Just not playing good hockey for 60 minutes.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
-

Yep. It's like his performance in the ASG just pumped him up even more.

If the ASG performance does nothing more than give Seth Jones the green light to shoot(in his own mind-I'm sure Torts is telling him to rip it) then Seth Jones may ease his way into one of the top five defensemen in the game. Loved Ryjo.. but this was such a good trade for both teams SETH JONES is da schitt.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

True, this game was no barometer.. & yes Joonas does seem to get the yips when the other team gains momentum. I am still happy to go into the garden and lead the rags by 6 goals. We did a lot of coughing up pucks that should have been firmly cleared but the game was over at 6-0 IMO.

I think we need a good backup for the 2nd half.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'd let that last one slide, Korpi had 3 guys layered in front of him and probably didn't see the puck at all. The first one was totally his blunder though and what started the comeback. The 2nd and 3rd goal then were just result of abhorrent defensive coverage showcased by our defenders.

pretty fair assessment.

For me nothing takes away from the 1st period, when Korpisalo kept us in the game.

Solid goaltending in the 1st, great team effort in the second, and tbh, we quit playing in the 3rd.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Watched the replay this morning, and in my opinion, the 4 goal third (other then the first softie) was more on the team then Korpi. Looked more to me like the team pretty much just mailed it in after the 6th goal. Korpi faced a ton of shots, and made some good saves.

If I were the coach, I would be all over everyone not named Korpisalo this morning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad