GDT: Game 48: Red Wings vs philly 7:00 pm et 1/25/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Couldn't catch the game unfortunately, BUT...

Wings W

Islanders L, Devils L

Tasty, delicious, a fest for the most discerning palate and when the elite meet to forage.
I worry about islanders at this point and I think the devils just start sliding more and more. I think we are firmly going to be the 2nd wildcard spot with a chance at 1st or 3rd in division. Bare minimum, 2nd wildcard.

So that means we are playing boston and I am not too upset about it. We probably lose but I think that series would be a lot closer than people would think, especially since we have played well against them a couple times. I just think they edge us out because of grit and playoff experience. Though it helps that we have guys like kane/compher/perron/copp/petry/chiarot/ghost for playoff experience too. Just that grit part 🤷‍♂️

Maatta+ for Hanifin, get it done pls Yzerman

We need someone to take some of the hard minutes from Seider so he can shine offensively too
definitely would do this. Add a bit more to get markstrom too. Lyon/Markstrom? Yes please.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Watched the highlights reel, and saw a little more than my glitchy browser/app feed let me see last night. I still think Philly and Detroit looked very similar, skill- and energy-wise. Shocking observation given they have pretty much the same records.

I like the "retro" 2 Unlimited riff for goals - always have. I like the Eminem one too. What's a fan to doooooooooo?

After that swimmer goal net stand by Walman, I believe my journey toward the Man-crush Side is complete.

Fun stuff. I could watch games like that all season, even without the shutout. It goes in the bin labeled "games I would show a buddy who kinda wanted to become a hockey fan but wasn't quite sure".

Eventually the other teams might say it's

View attachment 810727
Dare we say teams properly built between GM and coach to build a system? We obviously have players to do the job, I think the recent winning has been build upon Lalonde's system, and guys are buying in. We have a goalie, we have some defense, and we can score when we need to. That will garner wins all season long

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I worry about islanders at this point and I think the devils just start sliding more and more. I think we are firmly going to be the 2nd wildcard spot with a chance at 1st or 3rd in division. Bare minimum, 2nd wildcard.
Until he proves me wrong, I'm not worrying at all about a team coached by Patrick Roy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

So that means we are playing boston and I am not too upset about it. We probably lose but I think that series would be a lot closer than people would think, especially since we have played well against them a couple times. I just think they edge us out because of grit and playoff experience. Though it helps that we have guys like kane/compher/perron/copp/petry/chiarot/ghost for playoff experience too. Just that grit part 🤷‍♂️

definitely would do this. Add a bit more to get markstrom too. Lyon/Markstrom? Yes please.

Philadelphia losing Carter Hart will see them slide a bit in the standings. They were running a solid tandem but after last night I think it's obvious who the better goalie of the two on that team was.

I think Detroit finishes as high as the #5 seed if they hit a hot streak. As low as the final wild card seed.

NJD have major injury and goalie problems. I think they just miss the postseason unless they get really hot.
NYI is just not built for the modern NHL and has management problems.
PHI goalie and depth problems.
PIT I have no idea what's wrong with them.
WSH is solid defensively but Ovechkin has 9 goals this year.
MTL has 11 regulation wins. I'm not worried about them at all.
BUF has the most potential to be a threat but they need to get 46+ points from here on out to pose a threat.
CBJ no way.
OTT look better now that the gamblin' man is back but I'm not convinced they're anything more than a top heavy team with no structure.

You are more confident than me. We’re still at 55% of the season. I think the Capitals are the only ones I’m not worried about. Their points to goal differential ratio wasn’t gonna hold up. But if we can keep up this level of play the biggest worry is injuries. MUFASSSSAAA has to be healthy. A little bigger cushion would be nice to give him a rest here and there. But right now we just can’t afford to go with the other Swiss cheese stakes.

Dude, If they make the playoffs, then I’m ecstatic. Wouldn’t care if they even got swept. I had us 6th in the division.

One thing I have noticed since chiarot has been out, petry + maatta combo is actually not that bad at all.

I think they were absolutely dreadful against Dallas. But then again… pretty much every defenseman was.^^

Maatta+ for Hanifin, get it done pls Yzerman

We need someone to take some of the hard minutes from Seider so he can shine offensively too

Like Hanifin a lot. That price would probably be Maatta+Wallinder+1st. But I’m not even sure that will get it done cuz there will be a lot of bidders.

And another thing I thought about with Hanifin. when I look at him for right now: he probably won’t get on our PP. Sprong would have to come off and I like his shot too much. ES he should munch minutes like a Cookie Monster. And if there’s one thing we have in abundance it’s PKing dmen. Though I think he would lift that unit up a bit.

For down the road: ASP takes Ghosts spot on PP1 and Mo ain’t going nowhere. Edvinsson will be in the mix as well.

So what is the right price for a dman that prob plays only on our PK and on the 1st or 2nd pair? Is that worth 8x7,5 or 8x8? So more than Toews got? Are we out of the bidding war if it goes north of 8mil?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
You are more confident than me. We’re still at 55% of the season. I think the Capitals are the only ones I’m not worried about. Their points to goal differential ratio wasn’t gonna hold up. But if we can keep up this level of play the biggest worry is injuries. MUFASSSSAAA has to be healthy. A little bigger cushion would be nice to give him a rest here and there. But right now we just can’t afford to go with the other Swiss cheese stakes.

Dude, If they make the playoffs, then I’m ecstatic. Wouldn’t care if they even got swept. I had us 6th in the division.
just not worried about the capitals, devils, and pittsburgh. There really the only ones that are going to challenge. Out of this group, devils would be the most worrisome. Pittsburgh looks like they may start selling off, starting with guentzel. Islanders worry me moreso because patrick roy is a pretty good coach, so that is probably the only reason other than sororkin.

I started out this season believing playoffs probably 2nd wild card spot and squeaking in the playoffs in the last week of the season. I knew we would get swept or possibly win one game and didn't care. We need the playoff experience for seider/raymond/larkin. They need the taste because if we don't do it this year, it will feel like a buffalo issue and I don't want to go there.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Philadelphia losing Carter Hart will see them slide a bit in the standings. They were running a solid tandem but after last night I think it's obvious who the better goalie of the two on that team was.

I think Detroit finishes as high as the #5 seed if they hit a hot streak. As low as the final wild card seed.

NJD have major injury and goalie problems. I think they just miss the postseason unless they get really hot.
NYI is just not built for the modern NHL and has management problems.
PHI goalie and depth problems.
PIT I have no idea what's wrong with them.
WSH is solid defensively but Ovechkin has 9 goals this year.
MTL has 11 regulation wins. I'm not worried about them at all.
BUF has the most potential to be a threat but they need to get 46+ points from here on out to pose a threat.
CBJ no way.
OTT look better now that the gamblin' man is back but I'm not convinced they're anything more than a top heavy team with no structure.
can't like yet until tomorrow i think so "like" :thumbu:

I agree with basically everything you said other than islanders. Sororkin is an x-factor like no other and with patrick roy there now, I think they make a push. Maybe they take philadelphia's 3rd division place and philly just gets knocked out completely. As of right now, the atlantic is 100% have 5 teams in the playoffs right now.

maybe instead of markstrom we go after sororkin?!? probably untouchable but fuc* it, amiright?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think they were absolutely dreadful against Dallas. But then again… pretty much every defenseman was.^^

Like Hanifin a lot. That price would probably be Maatta+Wallinder+1st. But I’m not even sure that will get it done cuz there will be a lot of bidders.

And another thing I thought about with Hanifin. when I look at him for right now: he probably won’t get on our PP. Sprong would have to come off and I like his shot too much. ES he should munch minutes like a Cookie Monster. And if there’s one thing we have in abundance it’s PKing dmen. Though I think he would lift that unit up a bit.

For down the road: ASP takes Ghosts spot on PP1 and Mo ain’t going nowhere. Edvinsson will be in the mix as well.

So what is the right price for a dman that prob plays only on our PK and on the 1st or 2nd pair? Is that worth 8x7,5 or 8x8? So more than Toews got? Are we out of the bidding war if it goes north of 8mil?
Yeah I would do maatta wallinder and a 2025 1st for Hanifin. Hanifin will not get 8, he’ll come in long term around 7-7.5, and any deal will be based on that conversation first

Hanifin is a very good defensive defenseman with very strong physical play as well. Long term he would be fantastic as a partner for ASP with Mo and Ed on the 1st pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad