GDT: Game #47 Sharks vs Kings - Pizza Edition - 7:00 PM PST CSN-CA, SN, KFOX

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
That's all that really matters at this point. Sharks need points to try and put some space between us and everyone behind us in this tight playoff race.

We still got 9 games between the Coyotes and Canucks left too who are the closest behind us in points in the division. We get a winning record against them and I think it's a solid bet that we're in the playoffs. This really just leaves the Ducks as a threat.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
you know ... i'm starting to swing back the other way on 3v3 OT. I am starting to think it's too far from regular hockey to really be representative of much. It's just too easy for a great chance to go the other way as a horrible odd-man. With 4v4 at least you have a chance to defend those, but 3v3 it's over.

I think I still would prefer 10m 4v4 and ties.

Yeah I've never been a fan of the 3v3. Feels closer to the shootout than it does to actual hockey. A series of 2 on 1 rushes back and forth and a shot that misses the net and goes off the boards basically is a breakaway going the other way.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That's all that really matters at this point. Sharks need points to try and put some space between us and everyone behind us in this tight playoff race.

Yep. As much as it sucks that they lost the lead late, they just need to keep playing the same way and winning games/getting points. Getting in the playoffs is all that matters, not what seed they are.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Yeah I've never been a fan of the 3v3. Feels closer to the shootout than it does to actual hockey. A series of 2 on 1 rushes back and forth and a shot that misses the net and goes off the boards basically is a breakaway going the other way.

I don't see how the 3v3 is closer to a shoot out rather than 5v5. Here's why:

1. In the shoot out, the puck is automatically dead when either it's in the net, or past the net, or travels backwards. Not true for 3v3, 4v4, and 5v5.
  2. Line changes are extremely important, moreso than 4v4, and 5v5. Shoot-outs have no line changes.
  3. 3v3, just like 4v4 and 5v5, is played under the full regulation of penalties, whereas shoot outs have no penalties.
  4. Goalies must control rebounds in 3v3, just like 4v4 or 5v5 as the opposing team can score on a rebound. Not true for shoot outs.
  5. A finally, there is no team effort in a shoot out. It's just one player against one other. Not true for 3v3, 4v4, or 5v5.

I will say this... the 3v3 format requires more strategy on coaches decisions on when and how to shorten their bench in the 3rd period; moreso when the team has played the day before. This is where DeBoer could have done better. He ended up contributing to an already gassed team that showed it in OT.

However, as I stated earlier, most of the loss should be placed on Brown who committed a mindless penalty against an excellent PP team in the league which lead to the Kings gaining confidence on their first score of the game. Brown's hit against a guy did not have the puck was Torres-esq.

Last edited:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
3v3 is like how the shootout should be, breakaways with backchecking pressure.

I have always liked the idea of the shootout being like this:

first 3 rounds 1 vs 1 (one attacker, one defender, one goalie).

Subsequent rounds 2 vs 1 (two attackers, one defender, one goalie).

Keeps the exciting nature of the shoot out but injects some actual hockey into it.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Ugh... they have the last change, and they still can't execute basic things like matchups. Sigh.

We've been complaining about that ever since PDB became coach. Someone pointed out that TMac was also bad at that in the beginning so there's hope. I think lately he has sometimes put out the 1st or 2nd lines after killing a penalty and the other team puts out their first line. He used to never do that so that's some improvement. But, yes, he's bad. Putting Burns out to defend a lead last night was one example. (Putting Vlasic out when we needed to get a point is another. He didn't do that last night but he's done it.) I think him not having last change may be one reason that the Sharks did better on the road. Not the only reason but one of them.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Great game last night. Pretty shocked Kings won that game, Sharks deserved those two points.

We were discussing the game tying goal on Kings board and a member wrote an article breaking down the mistake there by the Sharks. This is not to "rub it in" but for those that are curious it's a pretty interesting article about what the Sharks are likely going over in video session today.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jason-Lewis/Breaking-Down-Breakdowns-Kings-Sharks-Game-Tying-Goal/179/74278

Sharks have always been one of my favourite teams despite being a Kings/Jets fan, so I hope you guys keep playing well and we can have a Kings-Sharks Pacific Division final. You guys got a good team over there.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Great game last night. Pretty shocked Kings won that game, Sharks deserved those two points.

We were discussing the game tying goal on Kings board and a member wrote an article breaking down the mistake there by the Sharks. This is not to "rub it in" but for those that are curious it's a pretty interesting article about what the Sharks are likely going over in video session today.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jason-Lewis/Breaking-Down-Breakdowns-Kings-Sharks-Game-Tying-Goal/179/74278

Sharks have always been one of my favourite teams despite being a Kings/Jets fan, so I hope you guys keep playing well and we can have a Kings-Sharks Pacific Division final. You guys got a good team over there.

...I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this part.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
...I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this part.

I picked my favourite teams when I was a kid. I was a big fan of Marleau, Damphousse, Nolan, Nabokov so they became my #2 team after LA (before Jets came back). Being from Winnipeg I didn't know anything about rivalries and whatnot. I've stuck with it so Sharks are still my #3 team to cheer for.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So even with Burns' recent spectacular defensive miscues, I think he's been getting better lately in the defensive zone. I haven't been too worried about him giving up extensive zone time and chances for the most part. Not to say he's perfect or anything.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So even with Burns' recent spectacular defensive miscues, I think he's been getting better lately in the defensive zone. I haven't been too worried about him giving up extensive zone time and chances for the most part. Not to say he's perfect or anything.

He's definitely getting better as the season progresses but I don't think it was too bright to have him out there on the last shift in a defensive situation over any of Vlasic, Braun, Martin, and Dillon. The things that will always catch Burns is similar to Thornton defensively. Instead of doing the safe and smart thing which is tie up your guy, he'll stay free and look to anticipate a play. And when they are right, they look incredibly smart. When they're wrong, they look incredibly dumb. It happens more to Burns than Thornton but it's a thing.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He's definitely getting better as the season progresses but I don't think it was too bright to have him out there on the last shift in a defensive situation over any of Vlasic, Braun, Martin, and Dillon. The things that will always catch Burns is similar to Thornton defensively. Instead of doing the safe and smart thing which is tie up your guy, he'll stay free and look to anticipate a play. And when they are right, they look incredibly smart. When they're wrong, they look incredibly dumb. It happens more to Burns than Thornton but it's a thing.

That's true. I just thought I'd mention it since it seems like there was a lot of talk yesterday about how Burns hasn't been very good lately but he seemed fine to me for the most part and the advanced stats seem to say he's been good too.

Generally speaking, I've been extremely happy with the way the whole team has played lately on both sides of the puck. The team's been a lot of fun to watch and the results have been good.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011

That was a pretty good look at the series of breakdowns, thanks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Anaheim is secretly really good, maybe better than us. I will avatar bet anyone that it's us and Anaheim in the first round. I'm cheering hard for Vancouver or Arizona to grab the third seed though. ;)

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
I don't see how the 3v3 is closer to a shoot out rather than 5v5. Here's why:

1. In the shoot out, the puck is automatically dead when either it's in the net, or past the net, or travels backwards. Not true for 3v3, 4v4, and 5v5.
  2. Line changes are extremely important, moreso than 4v4, and 5v5. Shoot-outs have no line changes.
  3. 3v3, just like 4v4 and 5v5, is played under the full regulation of penalties, whereas shoot outs have no penalties.
  4. Goalies must control rebounds in 3v3, just like 4v4 or 5v5 as the opposing team can score on a rebound. Not true for shoot outs.
  5. A finally, there is no team effort in a shoot out. It's just one player against one other. Not true for 3v3, 4v4, or 5v5.

I will say this... the 3v3 format requires more strategy on coaches decisions on when and how to shorten their bench in the 3rd period; moreso when the team has played the day before. This is where DeBoer could have done better. He ended up contributing to an already gassed team that showed it in OT.

However, as I stated earlier, most of the loss should be placed on Brown who committed a mindless penalty against an excellent PP team in the league which lead to the Kings gaining confidence on their first score of the game. Brown's hit against a guy did not have the puck was Torres-esq.

I mean it in the sense of it feeling closer to a crap shoot with bad bounces, missed shots off the boards, etc, abruptly ending games regardless of which team is getting the better of the play. Basically any mistake is a breakaway going the other way. I'm all for scoring chances but having a series of 2 on 1 rushes back and forth isn't that far off from a bunch of 1 on 0 rushes to me.

I like 4 on 4 because there is still structure to it. 3 on 3 just seems like barely controlled chaos more often than not.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

That goal last night really wasn't Burns fault. He was trying to cover both Vinny and Gaborik at the same time. Given the situation, Gaborik was the more obvious risk of the two because his lane was wide open. Honestly, Burns probably should have body checked Vinny into the net to stop play, but aside from grey area legality he didn't really have any great options. Couture and Ward completely screwed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad