GDT: Game 47: Anaheim Ducks vs Buffalo Sabres, 7pm PT, ESPN+, Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
They were playing something close to what they were doing early in the season in that 2nd. Cronin's system requires that the D aggressively challenge puck carriers to stop progression or force dump ins that the D partner or the backcheckers are supposed to deal with.

Guys like Zell and JD (and Fowler) should be good at that but for the most part the team doesn't do it. I don't know if they don't trust each other or the system or the coach or what, but they rarely do what they're supposed to without the puck, as a unit I mean.
This is what I noticed - the aggressive challenges. They played with confidence because they were facing an opponent who has none. I know that they won't win all their games if they're willing to play that way every night; plenty of teams are skilled enough to take advantage of that aggression and create scoring opportunities out of it. But at least it will be fun hockey to watch, just like it was at the beginning of the season.

The third period kind of bummed me out, though. I was hoping they'd keep pressing. I don't know if that was coaching or tension or just Buffalo finally figuring out that they're not that bad.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think if the injuries didn’t hit so much, they’d be on the bubble at least, or like around .500. Lost too many man games to injury.

Top line is at least looking dangerous, several games in a row now. Just bummed Leo didn’t get a point, he deserved to.

I get there are injuries, but that doesn't mean the basics of the scheme goes out the window. Last night's game gave up odd man rushes. Why? We've been giving up a lot of odd man rushes all season long. The culprit is most often our forwards not rotating back up to the blueline when we're pinching on defense. In Carlsson's pre-draft interview, some media pundits (some who played there) cited how the SHL rarely has odd man rushes because the defense there is great.

Similarly, @The Midnight Burrito identifies what we're supposed to be doing on defense, but we're not executing it often.

Last year's team had more man games lost to injuries on a team that had less talent than this year's team, especially on defense. I saw improvement from last year's squad than this year's squad as the season went along.

Ducks2022-23SplitsEakins
Game setGamesWLOTLPtsPts %
Total
46​
13​
28​
5​
31​
0.337​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 46
21​
7​
12​
2​
16​
0.381​

Ducks2023-24SplitsCronin
Game setGamesWLOTLPtsPts %
Total
46​
15​
30​
1​
31​
0.337​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 46
21​
5​
15​
1​
11​
0.262​

If Cronin was doing his job of being better at X's and O's than last year's Eakins, then why are the Ducks experiencing similar problems this year when we're essentially using the same scheme: pinching defense/rotating F3 and man-defense.

The six game winning streak to start the season had many come from behind wins. That's an unsustainable way of winning games because we're relying on Hurculean effort by one or more individuals. Once we couldn't replicate it, then we were able to see our true form. I dunno how we could be around .500 when the team got shutout by the Hawks 1-0 or recently lose to the Sharks 5-3. Even with injuries, Anaheim has the better roster between those two teams.

We won a game by weathering a fierce, failed comeback by the Sabres. I want to see that positive consistency carried onto the next game against the Stars. Let's see a winning streak!

Reactions: Leonardo87
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I love how polarizing Fowler is becoming around here. Definitely gonna be one of the things i remember most about this season lol.
Dude played 28 minutes, setup half a dozen chances, picked up a couple assists, was a plus player for once, and knocked a couple guys down on the wall, and people are still like hurr durr he skated out of the offensive zone that one time.

He ate all those minutes so we could give Zell a nice, sheltered first NHL game - 13 minutes! But still no love.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Dude played 28 minutes, setup half a dozen chances, picked up a couple assists, was a plus player for once, and knocked a couple guys down on the wall, and people are still like hurr durr he skated out of the offensive zone that one time.

He ate all those minutes so we could give Zell a nice, sheltered first NHL game - 13 minutes! But still no love.
I've never cared for Cam's attitude towards creating offense but in this season with all these injuries and with how this team isn't going anywhere this year, seems a bit misguided to home in on him as a culprit.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I've never cared for Cam's attitude towards creating offense but in this season with all these injuries and with how this team isn't going anywhere this year, seems a bit misguided to home in on him as a culprit.
Cam is a great player.. Just being over worked.. He deserves a chance to win the cup.. Ducks owe it him.. Hes being asked to be a #1.. He is not that.. His offense has dried up... Hes skating is still good. But Hes soft and shys away from hits... And his point shots never get through.. Thats the nack on him

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I think last night was more of a function of the Sabres being terrible rather than us finding a groove, but at least we got the win.

Looking forward to seeing how Zell plays the next few games, cause I think he's earned at least 2. I think LaCombe had a pretty solid debut, then he petered out after like 10 games of duty with Fowler. I wouldn't wish that on Zell obviously, but I want to see where the cracks form as the pressure ramps up.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, I complain in game threads about specific plays Cam makes, but with all the injuries and young players (not just this season), he has to carry a lot of the defensive load both in terms of responsibilities and TOI. That's on the Ducks management not being able to get him enough veteran defensive help to ease his workload.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Yeah ... i guess there are still teams worse that Ducks out there. That 2nd Silv goal where the Buffalo dman got snipered was just sad. I feel bad for that guy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce