GDT: Game 46: Canucks @ Avalanche | January 25th, 7:30 MT | Let's Go Back To Our Cocoon

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Don't know if it has been posted but as of tonight, there are 20 points separating us from the 3rd to last team in the overall standings, the Jets. We're sitting at 28 and they're at 48. Wow.

Wow indeed. The Avs might not even crack 48 by the end of the season.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Despite the terrible record, the same guys are showing up in the scoresheet every night. There isn't a lot going on, but MacKinnon, Duchene, and Landeskog accounting not for nearly all of it. Glad those guys are still showing up.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Well if your place holds you'll have a shot at a great draft pick this summer. That's where it could start.

The Canucks broadcast had one of your reporters as a guest in the first. Didn't catch his name but he looks like he lost a haircut bet. He said he expects both duchene and Landeskog to get traded, which I thought was a surprise. He also didn't seem to like your coach. I'd give the guy a chance... it's a big step from ahl to working with real pros. I'd like to see him be given at least some confidence. I'd like to see some new coaching blood in this league and were slowly getting there, after getting the same tired old retreads getting passed around the league like sloppy seconds.

:laugh:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Despite the terrible record, the same guys are showing up in the scoresheet every night. There isn't a lot going on, but MacKinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, and MacKinnon accounting not for nearly all of it. Glad those guys are still showing up.

Mack so good he's accounting for it twice? :sarcasm:

Sucks to hear about Varly but it's good for him to heal up and we get to really see what we have in Pickard and Martin.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Despite the terrible record, the same guys are showing up in the scoresheet every night. There isn't a lot going on, but MacKinnon, Duchene, and Landeskog accounting not for nearly all of it. Glad those guys are still showing up.

Zads starting to put up points as well, liking what I've seen from Nieto. I'm hoping we end up with a Greer-Compher-Nieto third line next year, that's a lot of hustle, smarts and grit.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
This has probably been mentioned (been skimming the last few pages after I went to bed promptly after the horn last night), but I distinctly remember hearing Iginla was the extra attacker off the bench. So yeah, full tank, Beauch and Iggy once again, ftw! :sarcasm:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This has probably been mentioned (been skimming the last few pages after I went to bed promptly after the horn last night), but I distinctly remember hearing Iginla was the extra attacker off the bench. So yeah, full tank, Beauch and Iggy once again, ftw! :sarcasm:

This is what kills me.

We willingly roll out Beauchemin on the first unit PP with all the big guns. Why in the hell are we doing this??? It would be a million times better to give Zadorov those reps. Not only is Zadorov the better offensive player, it would be good for his development to give him some much deserved top unit PP time. But yet we continue to give these old worthless pieces of **** these opportunities.

You're telling me that there isn't a better option as a 6th attacker than the walking corpse of Jarome Iginla?? I'd take Grigorenko a million times before Iginla. At least Grigs sees the ice well and can make and receive passes on a consistent basis. Unlike stone hands Iginla.

At this point in the season when we are this far out of everything, the main focus needs to be on development. Beauchemin should be on bottom pairing and PK duty. While players like Zadorov, Barrie etc. should be top pairing 22 minutes+ all situations guys so they get the reps in. Iginla should just be relegated to the press box, but unfortunately we actually have players like Colborne and Mitchell who are somehow worse than Iginla. That being said, Iginla really shouldn't be given any kind of offensive bonuses like being the 6th man, keep him on 2nd PP unit, and 3rd/4th line and that's it.

The rest of the season should be focused around MacKinnon, Rantanen, Zadorov, Pickard, Martin (If they decide to keep him up), Barrie, and IMO Grigorenko (I've really liked his play since being put with MacKinnon and Rantanen. I want to see what he can do with an extended top line role. He is still a young guy who would fit in the age group of our team going forward. But obviously there are some questions so lets see what he can do in this role.)

Obviously Landeskog and Duchene would be in this as well, but I'd put good money on them being dealt.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They had peacock focusing on his d-zone play earlier, but they've ease him onto the second unit. Plus, for all of Beauch's issues, he's still good at keeping the puck in at the blueline. So outside of Gelinas & Zads he'd be the next best dman we have to put out there. With the team also trying to showcase him, letting him play on the PP & luck into some points, is understandable, even though I'd have Gelinas out there over him, with Zads on the second unit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A good part of that is likely due to teams scouting the Avs want to see certain plays in situations, and with the Avs out of it, they will be happy to comply. The all in on development should happen when the trade pieces are shipped off. Mid to late Feb.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I sadly feel like Landeskog's trade value is going downhill as the season goes along. The guy seriously needs a new coach and to step it up in the consistency department.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I sadly feel like Landeskog's trade value is going downhill as the season goes along. The guy seriously needs a new coach and to step it up in the consistency department.

I don't know what's going on with him right now. Aside from a solid 3rd period (minus the dumb penalty which lead to the GWG) last night, he has been completely invisible since the Nashville game.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I agree, Landeskog has been pretty mediocre at best this season. He has never been consistent so that's not a shocker. But his scoring totals are dipping way hard this season.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Anyone on here know the blonde in the Landeskog blueberry who was behind our bench last night? Asking for a friend.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
A good part of that is likely due to teams scouting the Avs want to see certain plays in situations, and with the Avs out of it, they will be happy to comply. The all in on development should happen when the trade pieces are shipped off. Mid to late Feb.

This is my take also. The only reason to keep giving our lazy horrible players gracious ice time is in the hopes that someone gives us a mid-round pick for them at the deadline.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yup. Someone really needs to ask Bednar why and press the point. How is Beauchemin getting 29 minutes a game when the players are supposed to be held accountable? I don't want Bednar fired, I only want answers.

I still believe it's development over team success honestly. FB is the best excuse (even if it's smoke) for a player taking Zadorov's minutes when he makes mistakes.

FB is being used to keep Zadorov from having to be the one playing 29 minutes, and being thrown to the wolves.

This is exactly why I don't want to trade EJ, because you just can't throw your young defenders into the fire, and you need someone competent or you end up with what we have right now. This is a prime example of why rebuilding teams keep their top defenders.

Edit : Bednar has already many times eluded to being careful with Zadorov. That's my 2 cents

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You don't play a guy for 29 minutes for any other reason than because you want to.

Probably because he still is the big dog in our lockerroom right now.

And neither Bednar, Landy or anyone else will risk going against him.

There are always "leaders" in every lockerroom. And those guys usually are the last to get benched even if their on ice play is terrible.

With all of our top guys out, Bednar puts his faith in one of his leaders (he is not wearing an A for no reason).

"Obviously, Gabe is our captain, and we feel that Beauchemin is a guy we want to have a letter on all the time."

Pretty sure they consider him the leader of our D or otherwise EJ should have gotten that A.

That is the whole reason right there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't buy the showcasing stuff when it comes to Beauchemin. You don't play him that much even if a team is interested in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad