GDT: Game 44 | Predators @ Kraken | 01.25.22 | 9:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Funny listening to JP say "we" and identifying with the team or as part of the team. Don't normally hear that on the broadcasts.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It's just that "something" about this team. The Forsberg & Duchene goal, the top guys just show up when we need them do. 3-2 game late in the 3rd, we get a PP and kill the game right there.

That's that killer mentality this team has been lacking the last few years.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Looked at the Seattle thread and people there were saying the broadcast was pro-Preds. Maybe it was actually just neutral and fans of both teams hated that.

I watched the third period. I thought the ESPN+ broadcast was pro-Seattle, especially the young woman.

I rarely think it slants one way or the other. I do keep in mind that Mason leans a lot some games!

It was nice to see Ironhook and Blackwell playing.

Reactions: AnalogKid

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Looked at the Seattle thread and people there were saying the broadcast was pro-Preds. Maybe it was actually just neutral and fans of both teams hated that.
I agree that it was more neutral than the homer broadcasts. I guess the aspect that seemed interesting was how Kraken goals got replayed and broken down at the breaks and the Predators goals were just mentioned quickly before going back to commercials. I was a little surprised they didn't spend equal time on things like that.

Maybe it is just the tone of their voice, but the broadcast seemed almost disappointed or fatigued at times. Also, did they cancel out the crowd noise? The sound of the puck hitting a stick was like the Columbus cannon going off, while the building itself sounded like the game was being played in the metro library. (Other Seattle games have not been like that.)

But, I wasn't expecting a Willy and Mase homer "we" broadcast and am sure anyone that wanted that was disappointed. :laugh:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
This was the first west coast game I didn’t even bother trying to watch. Why watch when I can wake up and feel the same energy via this thread? Plus you don’t get to hear nicknames like ‘meth fisher’ on ESPN+!

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
One more example of how little the "Tennessean" sports department cares about the Preds. In this mornings on-line edition they had the score as 4-3, and that Nick Cousins scored the first goal. I know I watched the game, obviously no one at the rag did.

Reactions: adsfan

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Honestly didn't know the Tennessean was still a thing.
Their disregard of the Preds is an old political stance from the tennessean(no caps). They’ve always ignored the fact that the Preds ignited lower Broad as destination.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
This was the first west coast game I didn’t even bother trying to watch. Why watch when I can wake up and feel the same energy via this thread? Plus you don’t get to hear nicknames like ‘meth fisher’ on ESPN+!
You’re dang tootin!

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I am all for someone like Leah Hextall getting the opportunity to do what she is doing. That is awesome. I just don't think she has anything close to the voice to be a professional PBP person. Nothing personal but her voice is almost like fingernails on a chalkboard especially on goal calls. The entire ESPN+ production for me is just not good.

I was just disappointed that I could have been listening to John Forslund calling the game last night on the Kraken network but instead we got the crappy ESPN+. For me Forslund is the best PBP guy in hockey.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Seattle was so horribly mismanaged during the draft. It's almost unbelievable how bad they are.

Blackwell had a good season, for him, in the NHL, last year with the Rags and 22 points.

He is sort of a border line NHL player, but expansion will lengthen his NHL career well past 100 games.

I like him, but I wouldn't pick him for my NHL team unless I had an empty spot on the roster.

Jared McCann is the Kraken's leading scorer with 25 points.

Nashville has 6 players with more points, including Rookie Tanner Jeannot, with 26 so far.

I would say that Seattle didn't do nearly as well as Vegas did with the draft.

Seattle is a last place team that is 3-7 in their last 10 games.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
One more example of how little the "Tennessean" sports department cares about the Preds. In this mornings on-line edition they had the score as 4-3, and that Nick Cousins scored the first goal. I know I watched the game, obviously no one at the rag did.

About 20 years ago, I visited my brother in Indy. The Sunday paper had an entire page of hockey coverage! The Milwaukee paper used to have filler stories about the Admirals. You would be lucky to see the NHL standings. There would be little to nothing about the Badgers, who won NCAA titles in 1990 and 2006.

I used to say that "the Milwaukee Journal (Sentinel) would ignore Bigfoot knocking on their door because it doesn't fit their agenda". Read that as management of the news rather than reporting it. When they were separate papers, they competed, even though they were both owned by the same company. Since the merger, the combined paper is less than either one was. Part of it is the "dead trees" are going away after they have antagonized their readers for years. It took 20 years to bring back the Green Sheet in Milwaukee, a four page supplement. The paper just ignored their readers.

Why should Nashville be any different?

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
I agree that it was more neutral than the homer broadcasts. I guess the aspect that seemed interesting was how Kraken goals got replayed and broken down at the breaks and the Predators goals were just mentioned quickly before going back to commercials. I was a little surprised they didn't spend equal time on things like that.

Maybe it is just the tone of their voice, but the broadcast seemed almost disappointed or fatigued at times. Also, did they cancel out the crowd noise? The sound of the puck hitting a stick was like the Columbus cannon going off, while the building itself sounded like the game was being played in the metro library. (Other Seattle games have not been like that.)

But, I wasn't expecting a Willy and Mase homer "we" broadcast and am sure anyone that wanted that was disappointed. :laugh:

Even my 11 year old son noticed a subtle slant in the commentary towards the Kracks. He said they sounded more excited when the Kracks made a good play.

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Even my 11 year old son noticed a subtle slant in the commentary towards the Kracks. He said they sounded more excited when the Kracks made a good play.
I had that impression early in the broadcast as well. Leah sounded thrilled when the Kraken scored and then like she was annoyed when the Preds scored.

Later in the broadcast, and once the Preds got the upper hand, I could see how a Kraken fan might see it the opposite way. The trio started down the road of how the Kraken had blown games, etc.

Frontrunning a bit, I suppose. Leah and Moore have a lot of work to do. The production was just boring.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
So like, Seattle is an expansion team. Bettman controls expansion. Bettman must look good. Bettman controls ESPN contract. Hello?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad