GDT: Game 44: Ottawa at Columbus - Help a computer-less brother edition

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Small detail but Washington is about to win so we won't be first in the league anymore.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I won't comment on the first 48 minutes, because I didn't see it. I'll take it they weren't good.

The part I saw was great. Trailing teams are supposed to get a bit more zone time / shots / goals. But this was nearly total. And as frustrated as the guys were, they did the right thing in my book. They played the right way (excepting a bit of overpassing). Condon needed a lot of luck to hang on to that shutout.

Foligno's net drive with zero space was pretty damn impressive. He forced Methot to pull him down, on a play that started with Methot in the right position.

I can't believe we didn't score a goal tonight. Great push in the third with nothing to show for it.

On average, you'll get shutout every so often, effort be damned.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Dead crowd. Dead team. Bad game... moving on to the next one. Got a quick shot at revenge on Sunday.

Can only imagine what is was like on here tonight...not a lot of fun watching in person though :laugh:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The PP is completely broken

Or the league adjusted to it.
The players on our PP didn't change that much. The system did. Perhaps the league has finally scouted the 1-3-1 and have ways to defend it better.
Some of the numbers we saw early were unsustainable over a season, but recently I do think the league has caught up to us, so now it's about execution, not about having a schematic advantage.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Or the league adjusted to it.
The players on our PP didn't change that much. The system did. Perhaps the league has finally scouted the 1-3-1 and have ways to defend it better.
Some of the numbers we saw early were unsustainable over a season, but recently I do think the league has caught up to us, so now it's about execution, not about having a schematic advantage.
There have been some adjustments. PKs going up after us look like they're starting to immediately double-team anyone (other than the point guy) who even briefly has a mishap with the puck - everybody's being aggressive with our folks. That doesn't always lead to a turnover and clear, but it does disrupt flow, and we don't seem to turn those moments into opportunities very well. That and they've gotten better at anticipating our favorite shooting lanes (pretty much everybody knows by now that Gagner always shoots and Wennberg never does).

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Anyone have an idea why we parked two guys behind the net on the 5v3 and just kept passing the puck below the endline? It was obvious they wanted to set up Jones, but seemed counterproductive to essentially take two guys and put them in a non-threatening position on the ice.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
You put up 40 shots and 70+ shot attempts and you'll win most games. Nothing to worry about. It happens.

I'd be alarmed if they lost that game 2-0 and had less than 25 shots.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
You put up 40 shots and 70+ shot attempts and you'll win most games. Nothing to worry about. It happens.

I'd be alarmed if they lost that game 2-0 and had less than 25 shots.

And I would add you have a Vezina contender in your net, and you feel pretty good about your chances of winning.

Condon defied the odds and stood on his head. Goalies can steal games, we should know that as well as any team. We also just missed on a couple of glorious chances.

I'd give our overall performance a B+ tonight, and that wins most nights.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So now it is 9 games with one goal from Wennberg/Saad combined? Sure, just a little "slump".

If it's not a slump then it must mean that this play they're giving the team now is the kind of player they are and that any success they've previously had is the outlier.

Which would mean that fans who thought the players were so good were only judging them on what they were doing when they were playing well.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
At this point I would bet the Pens are kicking themselves in the Ass for trading Condon. Great game by him last night, but a good job by entire Sens team keeping most stuff outside.

We were a little disjointed, and the Sens played a very solid road game. Gotta give them credit.

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
If it's not a slump then it must mean that this play they're giving the team now is the kind of player they are and that any success they've previously had is the outlier.

Which would mean that fans who thought the players were so good were only judging them on what they were doing when they were playing well.

Right...

The team is in a bit of a lull. So are the Penguins. So were the Flyers. So are all of the teams not fighting for a playoff spot. This is the hardest part of the schedule too... Also, for what it's worth, Saad had 7 shots last night, multiple near goals (and near goal in Carolina).

I'm not saying nothing needs to change, or that everything is perfect. But, I mean, ease up! Have some faith! Love your team when they're down. For god's sake, stop *****ing! Or at least productively comment on what could be done better while still praising them for having the best first half in franchise history.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Right...

The team is in a bit of a lull. So are the Penguins. So were the Flyers. So are all of the teams not fighting for a playoff spot. This is the hardest part of the schedule too... Also, for what it's worth, Saad had 7 shots last night, multiple near goals (and near goal in Carolina).

I'm not saying nothing needs to change, or that everything is perfect. But, I mean, ease up! Have some faith! Love your team when they're down. For god's sake, stop *****ing! Or at least productively comment on what could be done better while still praising them for having the best first half in franchise history.

Hear hear!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anyone have an idea why we parked two guys behind the net on the 5v3 and just kept passing the puck below the endline? It was obvious they wanted to set up Jones, but seemed counterproductive to essentially take two guys and put them in a non-threatening position on the ice.

It looked like it worked to me. . Jones was an inch from scoring.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
As I was watching last night (mostly just the last period), I couldn't help but think they needed Anderson or Jenner to run the goalie. Not in a malicious, injury inducing way, but just some contact to get Condon off his game a bit.

I still don't know what to think about last night's game. Part of me is in the camp we ran into a hot goalie. The other half sees a club really struggling and not nearly as confident as the club during the streak. I don't want them to **** away everything they worked so hard for in the first half.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I just watched the first part of the game I missed last night. I don't see that much to worry about - the structure was good, the zone time was lopsided. It looked to me like execution was the only thing missing - some of the offensive zone passing has dropped off, a lot of pucks in the skates. I don't think Ottawa was that good at keeping the danger areas clear. They had a good number of blocks, but the Jackets just had a lot of near misses.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They're struggling to execute, which is a lot better than struggling to play. Dubi and Jenner were struggling to even keep up earlier in the year. I don't see that sort of struggle from anyone now.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
Also, I hate that he did it against our team, but Karlsson's pass to Turris was incredible. Not many people on the planet can zip that pass to that window. Now, our defense could've played Turris better, I think it was Prout that got burnt, which wouldn't have resulted in a goal, but sometimes you gotta recognize when the other team makes a great play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad