GDT: Game 41: Sharks @ Maple Leafs 4:00pm NBCSCA

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Bailey is someone I'd like to keep on the 4th line because of those attributes he brings. The reality though is that above that, he's out of his element and simply not good enough to use his size effectively and consistently. Those details to the game are obviously important but it's still not as important as being able to put yourself in the right positions to create offense. You still need offensive-minded players to do that when your supposedly more balanced players aren't putting points on the board. The fundamental reason a one-dimensional winger isn't sticking here is because they're not afforded the opportunities, plain and simple. Gushchin and Bordeleau are not the only one-dimensional sort of wingers around the league. Plenty are sticking when given opportunities. Some develop more to their game as they go and some don't but they still stick and have roles on teams that succeed.

Guys like Bailey and Carpenter deserve their opportunities. I believe Gushchin, Bordeleau, Cardwell, and Peterson deserve opportunities as well. When we have proven failures in the process of failing that don't bring anything to the team still getting opportunities over them, it's counterproductive to the team's desire to succeed and rebuild. At least in Gushchin's case, I think his offensive talent is enough to translate to the NHL. That alone should make you of all people want to put him in that spot to at the very least improve his trade value because he can actually do that. Hoffman, Labanc, and Zadina cannot. I don't think Bailey can either even though I like a lot of his game. I don't think Carpenter can either. A good thing to have is a 21-22 year old kid with NHL experience that maybe can return you a similar draft pick to where they were selected. Then at least you could draft your guy with another pick acquired.

I don't put a lot of stock in guys with size being able to do certain detailed gameplay if they can't score in those scoring roles. Details only matter if you're in the right position to begin with. None of the pro guys are really in the right position to begin with and their production suffers because of it.
The deadline is less than two months away. We have a much better chance at getting value back for someone like Duclair or Hoffman if they're able to produce in plum opportunities vs. calling up someone like Gushchin to play the same role. Playoff teams want proven veterans at the deadline and our #1 team objective until then needs to be maximizing the value of our pending UFA vets.

After the deadline Gushchin, Bordeleau, Cardwell, Mukhamadullin, etc. will likely all get their end of season tryout like some of the younger players did last year. Peterson is a 24 year old forward scoring 0.6 ppg in the AHL, he's not worth caring about. It's not like Bordeleau and Gushchin haven't been given real opportunities in the NHL this year. So far they've been unable to prove they belong unlike Eklund.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The deadline is less than two months away. We have a much better chance at getting value back for someone like Duclair or Hoffman if they're able to produce in plum opportunities vs. calling up someone like Gushchin to play the same role. Playoff teams want proven veterans at the deadline and our #1 team objective until then needs to be maximizing the value of our pending UFA vets.

After the deadline Gushchin, Bordeleau, Cardwell, Mukhamadullin, etc. will likely all get their end of season tryout like some of the younger players did last year. Peterson is a 24 year old forward scoring 0.6 ppg in the AHL, he's not worth caring about. It's not like Bordeleau and Gushchin haven't been given real opportunities in the NHL this year. So far they've been unable to prove they belong unlike Eklund.
They have absolutely no chance of getting value back for Hoffman. None. Duclair, yeah but I'm not advocating him being taken out of the lineup.

I'm not going to argue with you over what is a real opportunity. Two games is a real opportunity but it's also not when compared to the sort of opportunities they're giving to those that are failing repeatedly in the lineup.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
Working through this one.

SNOG:

4-2 Sharks.

Eklund, Hertl, Sabourin and Granlund.

Nylander and Reilly.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Sweatshirts and t-shirts, not sweaters

1 for 4 on smiles

1704844966069.png

Do folks get to crop their gallery of previews on Twitter/X?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
welp this game is over already. but hey at least we aren't paying a 2nd line center 11.5 million dollars a year for the next 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad