Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it
I swear, livin' on a prayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Unbelievable this team managed to lose this one after being up 2-0. Cody gets some hits, then a fight, then a goal which brings some life into a dead Nashville team, then gets the hit on Barrie which directly leads to the tying goal. Those are the kinds of plays that win a team like Nashville games.

A team like the Avs loses games by having d men like Gelinas be absolutely useless in tying up McLeod as he's driving the net, and lets him get an easy tap in back door.

They lose by Barrie trying another of his classic low percentage plays after pinching in, as he slides on his stomach and just sweeps the puck right to the Pred player in the slot, and watches it go down the ice and end up in his net.

They lose by signing a D man that should have retired in Fedor Tytutin, who on the same play tries to step up on the puck carrier, but since he can't skate worth ****, he misses, leaving the only other guy back another guy past his prime with no legs in Iginla. Which of course results in a clear breakaway goal that absolutely never should happen in a tie game.

They lose by Mack losing a face off clean on his off side with a half assed effort, right to one of the best shooters on their team, so he can slam home the game winner, and that's all she wrote.

Of course it doesn't help either that Mikko got too carried away with his secondary route at the point, and ignored what should have been his primary objective, and that was tying up Forsberg standing right next to him if the puck came that way.

I'm worried what this team is doing to Mikko, because the last 15 games or so he's let some really bad habits creep into his game. He used to be the antithesis to everything that is wrong with this team with his great possession game, patience with the puck, and seemingly always making the right play. Now too often he's looking like exactly what's wrong with this team. I hate that this team's bad mojo has gotten into him a little bit.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
The entire coaching staff is clueless. The Avs sure now how to pick coaches :laugh: While Bednar and company are outstanding for tanking they do not develop players properly, they barely can even get anything out of the team in the first place. Hopefully next year we finally get a proper coaching staff.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
For the past half decade players coming in look so different. Hustling to loose pucks, winning board battles, supporting the breakout. After 20 games they regress to playing avalanche hockey.

Look for the same to happen with Greer when he sticks. There's something wrong that has lasted through multiple coaches now.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Why and or how is Tim Army still employed by this team? How do you persist from Joe Sacco's coaching staff?

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
There's something wrong that has lasted through multiple coaches now.

Maybe its the fact that the Avs haven't had a good coach since Q left has something to do with it ;) A decade of **** poor coaching with Bednar aiming to do even worse than both Sacco and Granato. On top of that, the Avs are very loyal to someone like Tim Army. It is so bad that its hilarious :laugh:

If for once the Avs went out and hired an actually proven good coach and he would bring his own staff, the difference would be night and day to anything we have seen in years. There are probably going to be some decent coaches available this summer but look for the Avs to either keep Bednar or hire some scrub from the AHL. Yeah my optimism is sky high :laugh:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I was actually thinking of Army the other day. I know that they say how much the players love him. Well then why don't you fire him to send a message to the locker room. He isn't a good coach.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
But the players love him! The players are so in love with the outstanding PP that he has designed for them and all the other tactics that he comes up with. What a lame excuse to keep him around. Its a result oriented business, either do a good job or get out. If the players really dig him that much and want to keep him around for that reason, they are more clueless than I thought. You would think that a bunch of pros would get that what Army does is not working and would get turned off by that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why and or how is Tim Army still employed by this team? How do you persist from Joe Sacco's coaching staff?

I'm sure Army is a good guy, and his enthusiasm is great with the players, but his terrible track record on the PP, and the team's terrible track record with him on it, means they need to make a change.

They need a good veteran NHL assistant who's highly regarded, and has a proven track record on the PP. Army's not enough to even out Bednar and Pratt learning on the job, trying to find out what works and what doesn't in the NHL.

If the Habs for some reason clean house with their coaching staff, Kirk Muller would be a great addition. He's done great work with the Blues and the Habs power play. If the Avs can pry Paul McLean out of Anaheim he would be great as well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nate is on and off, but Bednar is slowly entering a tailspin unless Nate did something outrageous.

It's a double standard that I don't like one bit with Bednar.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Roy, but I really loved his player management and motivation tactics.

Bednar seems like a complete 180 in reversal to what Roy was, in a negative way.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
if a new coach gets fired this year. Colorado should be all over him and hire him. this team needs an experienced coach and not a rookie one.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's a double standard that I don't like one bit with Bednar.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Roy, but I really loved his player management and motivation tactics.

Bednar seems like a complete 180 in reversal to what Roy was, in a negative way.

Agreed. Its the double standards that drive me up a wall. Como takes a million penalties with next to no punishment sep that one game recently. The vets can do no wrong it seems. Did anyone see what Mack did to earn him time on the pine? Did Mack over extend on a shift? Did he carry the puck in instead of dumping it in as Bednar seems to be in love with that crap tactic?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed. Its the double standards that drive me up a wall. Como takes a million penalties with next to no punishment sep that one game recently. The vets can do no wrong it seems. Did anyone see what Mack did to earn him time on the pine? Did Mack over extend on a shift? Did he carry the puck in instead of dumping it in as Bednar seems to be in love with that crap tactic?

Especially considering we don't have the speed to get the puck back most of the time.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I honestly thought MacK was playing a decent game. Not a spectacular game, but definitely not a game worthy of benching

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The double standard with vets getting a long leash and kids on short ones is really, really toxic. Players aren't stupid, they see Beauch and Tyutin making garbage plays and never facing consequences while they get benched for one mistake. That's got to sour them on the coaching real quick. Not to mention, those are the guys who are actually the future of the team, not the scrub vets. I'm OK with Bednar figuring out what works in the NHL as far as systems go, but that **** is dangerously close to grounds for firing.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
At this point the Avs clear and only outlook is akin to me eating 8 Oreos before bed and wondering why I'm getting fat

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The double standard with vets getting a long leash and kids on short ones is really, really toxic. Players aren't stupid, they see Beauch and Tyutin making garbage plays and never facing consequences while they get benched for one mistake. That's got to sour them on the coaching real quick. Not to mention, those are the guys who are actually the future of the team, not the scrub vets. I'm OK with Bednar figuring out what works in the NHL as far as systems go, but that **** is dangerously close to grounds for firing.

Amen brother. Its easy to pick on Z or Mack or any of the young guys. Its hard to put balls on the table and bench/scratch vets. I get it. Some vets have paid their "dues" and maybe deserve a longer leash but if the same vet consistently makes the same stupid mistakes at some point you have to put your foot down and say enough. I have no idea why im constantly seeing Iginla out on the ice with a minute to go but there he is slugging around. The worse is when we have one of those rare one goal leads and Jarome is out there with a minute left in a game. Why is he out there?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Part of it is about having an effect where it matters. If Bednar can figure things out with MacK, Zads, etc. then that's something that can have a huge impact moving into next season. Whereas if Bednar can get through to Iggy or not, the dude's gone in a matter of months. That's why that sort of a double standard bothers me less on a rebuilding squad if the coach can reach the younger players and help them take their games to new levels. Unfortunately Bednar has yet to accomplish the latter part, even if he has been saddled with a ton of lazy players that just don't fit the high-energy hockey he's tried to impliment.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Part of it is about having an effect where it matters. If Bednar can figure things out with MacK, Zads, etc. then that's something that can have a huge impact moving into next season. Whereas if Bednar can get through to Iggy or not, the dude's gone in a matter of months. That's why that sort of a double standard bothers me less on a rebuilding squad if the coach can reach the younger players and help them take their games to new levels. Unfortunately Bednar has yet to accomplish the latter part, even if he has been saddled with a ton of lazy players that just don't fit the high-energy hockey he's tried to impliment.

The thing is though, the young guys pick up on those double standards too. It's easy to get jaded and turn on the coaching staff when you feel like you're being treated unfairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad