Post-Game Talk: Game 40: Preds at blackhawks. 6:00 CT. "Olympic gold dive rematch"

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
So is there anybody great in the AHL that should be called up if Fisher is out? Except for the second line our lines looked horrible. Hoping it doesn't get worse. I'm all for putting Fiala back w/ Forsberg and moving Jarnkrok down as that line didn't look good and had difficulty scoring.... at least Fiala is fast or fun to watch.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Also think they should keep Ekholm with Ellis. Have Matt Irwin w/ Josi.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
So is there anybody great in the AHL that should be called up if Fisher is out? Except for the second line our lines looked horrible. Hoping it doesn't get worse. I'm all for putting Fiala back w/ Forsberg and moving Jarnkrok down as that line didn't look good and had difficulty scoring.... at least Fiala is fast or fun to watch.

I'd either do that or move Fiala to play with Joey and find anyone to play on the other wing. Then put Forsberg and Smith on the wings with Ribeiro and hope we start generating offense. The other thing is hoping either Wilson or Arvy is back on Tuesday. If one of them are, put them with Fiala and Joey.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well at least the team tried to keep this game close but just frustrating to watch us being close but no cigar. We just don't seem to be able to catch a break this year.

Last edited:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Sell..selll...sell
Wilson and smith first.

What are you going to get for Smith right now? Nothing. Not sure why some people are riding Wilson so hard this season. He's played hard and done a good job creating chances via disruption but just isn't putting it in the net. Which is basically on par with the performance of the Preds across the board.

Honestly if one were to apply an expectation floor to every player, and then beg to trade that player if they go below said floor, then I'm guessing most everyone on the roster would be on the block.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
What are you going to get for Smith right now? Nothing. Not sure why some people are riding Wilson so hard this season. He's played hard and done a good job creating chances via disruption but just isn't putting it in the net. Which is basically on par with the performance of the Preds across the board.

Honestly if one were to apply an expectation floor to every player, and then beg to trade that player if they go below said floor, then I'm guessing most everyone on the roster would be on the block.

Both Wilson and Smith are paid to score goals. This was the mistake of those contracts. It is also the issue with most of the forwards on the team. Most play hard and create chances. The problem is there must be a few guys that can bury those chances. You can not just fill a roster with guys that create chances without your finishers. Ideally you have both. Any time you hear people say this guy or that guy should shoot the puck more its a pretty good bet the ratio is out of proportion. Wilson is guilty of thinking pass first, something he was taught coming up as a center and he never has adjusted his game and IMO it has been a reason he has struggled in the reg season but in the playoffs it seems he does shoot more and scores some. It is not he is a better sniper than a playmaker hes confused as to what his actual role is. Smith is well supposed to finisher but struggles with shot accuracy. If one has paid attention the majority of his shots this seqason are now occurring from the top of the circle out to the blueline he will never succeed shooting from this area. He struggles being accurate close in and it is only magnified as he moves out. Smith does not have good stick handling abilities to deak and move the puck into scoring position before taking a shot either. Smith has been pretty much removed from shootouts as well.

SO trade them???? Well at this point neither have much value. And as good as Wilson has been in the playoffs it is hard to imagine until the last year of his contract he would be deadline bait just due to term left. Smith is well just a hot mess having play hisself out of a top 6 job but is still paid as such for three more years. Nobody wanted to believe me when I said everyone would regret these two contracts and made fun of me well. Now here we are 8 mil in cap tied to two guys who do not produce and there is very little chance to trade them without adding other assets to shed that cap. These contracts are at least as bad as the Nystrom and Gaustad contracts.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
If we can get a top forward out of PK I would be okay for trading him. Otherwise I would just sit him out this year to get his surgery and then see how he does next year.

They aren't trading Subban. Not after the Jones trade and it just being a bad idea.

It hasn't worked out so far but I wouldn't give up on him, yet. And, again, I don't think the team can lose a DMan after Weber and Jones departures.

And, as for sitting out, unless he's seriously hurt, no. You can't send that signal to the team and fans. When or if they are hopelessly out of the playoffs, sure. Else, there is no way you can tell guys who are out their busting themselves on the ice, and the fans, that you are just playing for fun the rest of the season. It's looking bad, but eh, it's not over....yet.

As I've said many times, good thing we got rid of broken down Shea Weber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad