GDT: Game 4: Sharks vs. Bruins 7:30pm NBCSCA

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The hotel wifi appears to have spared me this game. Must be a mental welfare protection setting.

I take it we sucked?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
This team is very bad and very unlucky lol. I liked the pace and effort again, barely any whistles tonight. Thought Eklund was the best player for the Sharks. Good forechecking and defense, but doing too much with the puck at times but nobody's getting open so idk.

Not having a defenseman that can break out the puck is either the biggest brain tank move ever or the lulziest blunder in team building in a while.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
More like Marc-Edouard ASSic.

fD9euZp.png

Reactions: DG93

Jts4thgoal

King of the idiots
Aug 28, 2015
Hoffman's inability to get shots on net but continue to blindly shoot every time he has the puck is beautiful, 8 shot attempts, 1 recorded shot.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I still don't understand how he went from one of the best defensive D in the league to this. Like did he just forget how to play hockey?
Seems like it. The only thing that makes sense, as Vlasic never relied on any physical parts of his game to be where he was. So can't use the excuse that he got weaker physically or even lost his skating speed.

Or we can all start to go with my actual theory and that Vlasic was never as good as we or others thought he was and he was actually propped up by the play of Braun.

• Wow

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Seems like it. The only thing that makes sense, as Vlasic never relied on any physical parts of his game to be where he was. So can't use the excuse that he got weaker physically or even lost his skating speed.

Or we can all start to go with my actual theory and that Vlasic was never as good as we or others thought he was and he was actually propped up by the play of Braun.
Nah. He was good. Injuries and age just caught up to him fast. Remember, they were consistently in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs so those games took its toll.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I still don't understand how he went from one of the best defensive D in the league to this. Like did he just forget how to play hockey?
His skating was a big part of his game apparently. He just can't react quickly enough to kill plays and you see it a bunch in the video. This still feels kind of weird because we all thought his hockey IQ was a bigger part of him knowing how to shut down guys. and that should've aged well.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think they'll get their first win on the road trip. They're a bad team playing bad but not so bad that they can't steal a win here and there against worse teams. Most teams on this road trip aren't very good either right now.

Reactions: coooldude

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Vlasic has also lost his physicality, while he was never a huge body checker he would throw them when it made sense and now he completely shies away from contact, his whole game has been altered largely because he seems to be in incredible pain at all times

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Vlasic has also lost his physicality, while he was never a huge body checker he would throw them when it made sense and now he completely shies away from contact, his whole game has been altered largely because he seems to be in incredible pain at all times
As you say, he was not a physical guy in the hitting sense. Boardwork and stick work were his rise to importance.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
As you say, he was not a physical guy in the hitting sense. Boardwork and stick work were his rise to importance.
Yeah, and now he's disengaged from contact along the boards and in front of the net, he can't play the game the way he spent his whole life playing it anymore

It's sad, he was so good in his prime, but now he doesn't have any usable NHL skills left in his arsenal

Reactions: Cas and Sandisfan

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
His skating was a big part of his game apparently. He just can't react quickly enough to kill plays and you see it a bunch in the video. This still feels kind of weird because we all thought his hockey IQ was a bigger part of him knowing how to shut down guys. and that should've aged well.
Vlasic has suffered a few concussions in his career, and while you hate to think about it, they literally damage the brain and could lead to a decline in game processing.

Yeah, and now he's disengaged from contact along the boards and in front of the net, he can't play the game the way he spent his whole life playing it anymore

It's sad, he was so good in his prime, but now he doesn't have any usable NHL skills left in his arsenal
Tbh it's not hard to imagine not wanting to sacrifice one's health for a bottom scraping team.

Reactions: weastern bias

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Vlassic has really been hurt by how the game has evolved the last few years. He always had elite stick work and positioning where he could kill plays effortlessly. With how talented all players are now with the puck it is so much harder to disrupt a play with your stick.

Even five years ago very few NHL players had the stick skills to “Michigan” or stick handle in a phone booth at the speed of the NHL. Now almost all junior players are so good with the puck on their stick that it takes more than positioning with his body and stick to disrupt the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad