PGT: Game 4: Finland 1 - Sweden 2

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
No? so you saying Finland wasent better than Sweden in 5v5?

Was it? to me that hit looked pretty clean.
Hell no man. The quick counters were nowhere to be seen, also the zone entries were bad from Finland. The finns were better in the third, but the gamw was a mess overall and I thought the swedes played great hockey with their limited offensive talent.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Neither team was good 5 on 5 but Sweden was still controlling possession for a majority of the game. You wanna keep the rose colored glasses on and ignore that the Finns need to be much better going forward, be my guest, but you're not correct. I have no dog in this race as an American, and Sweden was better for a majority of the game. Until that late Finland powerplay

If you think I would say Finland was the better team if they werent as a Swede against Sweden you are gravely mistaken... Finland was the better team in 5v5 and even if non of this two teams were good in 5v5 Finland sucked less in that setup.

Or did you expect this game to be like Canada vs Denmark?

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
The reason Sweden has such a great record is that they play a superb team game. The Swedish coaches game plan was to neutralize the Finnish team's strength, the Finnish forwards, by putting pressure on the Finnish dmen when they had the puck and tie up the Finnish forwards in the neutral zone. Ahokas never had another idea how to get the Finnish game going even after this game plan was obvious. It's no coincidence Sweden's best player, a dman, scored two goals.

The Swedish coaches were relaxed and smiling throughout the game. They knew exactly how Finland wanted to play while Ahokas was clueless.

Sweden absolutely schooled Finland in this game, and I say that as a Finn. Finland has started to produce talent again but they are way behind Sweden's tactical understanding.

This.

Also lot of solo effort and show case type of plays, most important players tried to get into highlight reels not to play for team.. until last 5 minutes. Thats fully on coach, his most important job is to keep players discipline. And amount of penalties.. team just wasn't prepared. Sounds too familiar.

Reactions: HKbleu

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
It seems to me that it’s often blamed on the coaching if Finnish teams/players don’t perform as desired. Are there ANY good coaches in the country?
Actually we have a lot of good coaches. Because previously we lacked on talent we had to trust our coach to bake a cake from s***. We still focus on coaches a lot and sometimes ice hockey is marketed by our coaches not with our players. In Canada I guess it's opposite. Oilers use McDavid for marketing not McLellan etc?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
This.

Also lot of solo effort and show case type of plays, most important players tried to get into highlight reels not to play for team.. until last 5 minutes. Thats fully on coach, his most important job is to keep players discipline. And amount of penalties.. team wasn't prepared.

The Swedes KNOW the Finnish players will start to solo and showboat once they get frustrated. This was the Swedish game plan, they even talked about it before the game...

As I said, Ahokas was outclassed.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Hell no man. The quick counters were nowhere to be seen, also the zone entries were bad from Finland. The finns were better in the third, but the gamw was a mess overall and I thought the swedes played great hockey with their limited offensive talent.

I must have missed it and im being dead serious now because i was on my toes everytime Finland entered Swedens defencezone... they were everywhere maybe I just imagend it but Finland looked more dangerous than Sweden did when it came to scoring chanses.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If you think I would say Finland was the better team if they werent as a Swede against Sweden you are gravely mistaken... Finland was the better team in 5v5 and even if non of this two teams were good in 5v5 Finland sucked less in that setup.
Agree to disagree

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Brännström were best player in this game. He had some mistakes too but overall great performance. Kakko was best foward in this game by good margin. He didn’t dominate but he was only guy who stood out for fowards. Both goalies played great but Swedish goalie had way more organized team defense in front of him but he saved all the necessary shots without giving rebounds. Call it even between goalies.

Lundell is amazing center prospect. He is great at faceoffs, good at defense, has fast processor in his head. For a 2020 draftee solid performance. Slightly upgraded version of Mikko Koivu is good comparison right now. Not a gamebreaker offensively but creates a lot of room for his linemates and makes them better. He has time to prove me wrong on his offensive potential.

I think Sweden was much better team today.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
I dont think Kotkaniemi, Heiskanen and Vesalainen would even help in that game. To me its way too complicated and the distances are too big. Swedes could have scored 4 more goals

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
The Swedes KNOW the Finnish players will start to solo and showboat once they get frustrated. This was the Swedish game plan, they even talked about it before the game...

As I said, Ahokas was outclassed.

I remember when Finland perfectly executed trapping game 2014, it felt almost unfair how a junior team was playing like a pro team and everyone outside Finland was crying that tactic. That was last time when Sweden was schooled by us, maybe first time too.

What happened? We fell down from top to the bottom what comes to junior coaching.

Last edited:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
I remember when Finland perfectly executed trapping game 2014, it almost felt unfair how junior team was playing like a pro team and everyone outside Finland was crying that tactic. That was last time when Sweden was schooled by us, maybe first time too.

What happened? We fell down from top to the bottom what comes to junior coaching.

You have more gold than us in junior hockey so i don't see what your problem is obviously you're coaching is doing something right.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I dont think Kotkaniemi, Heiskanen and Vesalainen would even help in that game. To me its way too complicated and the distances are too big. Swedes could have scored 4 more goals

correct, swedes forecheck was too effective no matter who was forwards they would never had the puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad