GDT: Game 4: Columbus at Colorado | 9:00pm EST FSO| "Forget Last Night" Edition

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Did you guys catch this?

- Dubinsky is talking to the refs, he's trying to get the Jackets a penalty shot. Well, it never hurts to ask.

- Is that the case at your house?

- Well, that depends on what you mean by that.

*Awkward laugh*

:facepalm:

CBJwheel

Mar 4, 2007
Findlay
It was nice to have exciting hockey in the middle of January for once, but I think this team may be done. The season is just too short and there is really not much margin of error to be flirting with.

I'm not jumping off the cliff just yet, just trying to keep it real.

I'm hoping the team can learn some things and fix some problems in this shortened season. Not holding my breath for a win versus Chicago, but it would be nice. Either way, win or lose, go Jackets.

Nikita Filatov

Jan 3, 2009
Columbus
It was nice to have exciting hockey in the middle of January for once, but I think this team may be done. The season is just too short and there is really not much margin of error to be flirting with.

I'm not jumping off the cliff just yet, just trying to keep it real.

I'm hoping the team can learn some things and fix some problems in this shortened season. Not holding my breath for a win versus Chicago, but it would be nice. Either way, win or lose, go Jackets.

Exactly, I just want to see or hear about a 60 minute effort, none of this 1 or 2 period a game stuff.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
8 of the next 9 (or something like that) at home. I'm not calling for some major run to make the playoffs seem possible, just that if the issues of rust, chemistry, fitness and effort are going to be addressed, we should see the results over that stretch. By the end, we should know what we have, IMO. That, for me anyway, includes the coaching staff, too.

Last edited:

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Least Favorite Moment of the Game:

Every moment, with the exception of when Rimer said, "Sprawling Johnson".

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If you believe Howson, Nail wasn't going to be the pick at #1 anyway.

And that's why we are where we are. Poor leadership and decision makers, as well as too cheap to bring in a decent coach last season because they didn't want to pay a big salary during the lockout.

I mean how you can say you're building a defensive team and then have (statistically) two of the leagues worst goaltenders from last year I have no idea. That doesn't mena Bob or Mason can't become a good/great goalie but if you're saying that you are a defensive club you better solidify your goal tending.

The forwards are what they are. A lot of real solid 3rd line guys (including a couple guys who could become legit top 6 forwards) with not a play maker among them. I understand Nash is gone (was never a big fan of his anyways) but why they didn't pursue someone like a Ray Whitney who is still effective offensively to help anchor one of the lines I have no idea (just throwing Whitney out as an example as a playmaker, not necessarily someone who will score 30+ goals). Instead we have 6 guys who are likley 15-18 goal scorers playing beside each other and since there aren't enough playmakers those guys would be challenged to score 12-15 goals.

Anyways I'm sure over the next 9 games (8 of them at home) that we will win a few and folks will get back on the band wagon, but the only way this team has a shot is if they go "All Out" and get Solid Goal Tending. We've not had a complete game so far (Nashville was close) and last 2 games have shown me the goaltending is average at best. No questions (I hope) that we severly lack on offense. Scoring 3 goals in regulation is a big game offensively.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
8 of the next 9 (or something like that) at home. I'm not calling for some major run to make the playoffs seem possible, just that if the issues of rust, chemistry, fitness and effort are going to be addressed, we should see the results over that stretch. By the end, we should know what we have, IMO. That, for me anyway, includes the coaching staff, too.

Agreed. Let's see how the upcoming homestand goes.

At the very least, we'll have been in the playoff race longer this year than last year.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
What would Gerard Gallant have said about this game if he were still the coach?

"I liked our effort out there. I thought there were some stretches where we carried the play to them".

I'm not going to get too up or down about anything that happens this season. To me, this year is nothing more than a transitional one. Any success achieved is a bonus. The transformation will continue this offseason when the team can use the draft and the rest of the summer to structure the roster closer to what JD feels it needs. Even next season to me is one with low expectations, but hopefully the season after that they will begin to turn the corner.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
What would Gerard Gallant have said about this game if he were still the coach?

"I liked our effort out there. I thought there were some stretches where we carried the play to them".

I'm not going to get too up or down about anything that happens this season. To me, this year is nothing more than a transitional one. Any success achieved is a bonus. The transformation will continue this offseason when the team can use the draft and the rest of the summer to structure the roster closer to what JD feels it needs. Even next season to me is one with low expectations, but hopefully the season after that they will begin to turn the corner.

Exactly my thoughts. The only things i hoped for this season was progression from guys like johan, moore, and atkinson. This team does not have the ingredients to be successful yet.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Ok, I'm starting to get a bit worried here. Two straight road games that this team just doesn't seem to have the horses, anywhere, to seriously challenge these other teams.

Losing 5-1 in Phoenix: As much as I heard RJ say it wasn't Mason's fault, I still think that, subconsciously, this team sort of resigns itself to a loss with Mason in the net and the team down a goal or two. We also see that offense is something that continues to baffle this team. My hope was with the Nash trade, It would allow guys like Brass and Johansen, really talented, highly drafted guys, to step into their own a bit, as well as have a sort of "scoring by committee" from the new acquistions as well as a sprinkle from the back end and now, I'm getting worried.

Losing last night 4-0: The team played hard, despite the final score, but I seriously wonder just how sustainable the message in the room is when nobody can seem to score despite outshooting a team in a similar situation as you are (rebuilding, retooling). Last night was the first night I really got worried when I looked at our blueline situation too. Johnson, Wiz and Tyutin are all locked up for at least another 4 years. While I appreciate the outward signs of leadership, i only hope that can hold up if this continues spiraling downward.

Basically, just like last year, a full game effort still seems to allude this team. I said after the Detroit loss that the team caught a break in that Nashville and Detroit both couldn't bury the CBJ early, which could have happened if not for Bob's play in the first periods of both games, that the team would need to find the offense in a hurry would they would go nowhere again this season.

I know its early, And I'm not going to pretend to know everyone's expectations for this team here. What I will say is that I was praying for the lockout to wipe away the season, get us a great shot at the first overall again, and come back with a renewed focus, energy next season. What we have seems to be a group of guys that are willing to try harder and for longer stretches of game time, but still to a similar, albeit less embarassing, result.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
For all those who think that when we work off the rust and get in game shape things will be better, just think the other teams will have that same situation.

About the only thing I can cling to is with all the new guys the lack of training camp is a major issue.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Anyways I'm sure over the next 9 games (8 of them at home) that we will win a few and folks will get back on the band wagon, but the only way this team has a shot is if they go "All Out" and get Solid Goal Tending. We've not had a complete game so far (Nashville was close) and last 2 games have shown me the goaltending is average at best. No questions (I hope) that we severly lack on offense. Scoring 3 goals in regulation is a big game offensively.

What makes you think that we will win anything over the next nine games? We've been pretty soundly outplayed in all four games, save about a 15 minute stretch against Detroit. We have six goals in four games, and that isn't a fluke.

I haven't seen the hard working team that was promised, and I see a rash of stupid penalties. If there is a worse team in the league, I'd like to know who it is.

Still, I'll be there Saturday.

MattTheMask

Cbus for life!
Mar 11, 2009
Columbus
www.jacketsfans.com
Detroit gets embarrassed 6-0 and comes out with a chip on their shoulder the next game.
We get embarrassed 5-1 and...

Culture problem. Have to change the culture around here first. I think Davidson is a good step in helping to do that. Need to make some other moves too. We have been losing for so long, it has seaped into their DNA

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
You guys and your post game "analysis" :tmi:

...am I the ONLY one who heard Rimer say "Sprawling Johnson" last night?

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Ok, I'm starting to get a bit worried here. Two straight road games that this team just doesn't seem to have the horses, anywhere, to seriously challenge these other teams.

Losing 5-1 in Phoenix: As much as I heard RJ say it wasn't Mason's fault, I still think that, subconsciously, this team sort of resigns itself to a loss with Mason in the net and the team down a goal or two. We also see that offense is something that continues to baffle this team. My hope was with the Nash trade, It would allow guys like Brass and Johansen, really talented, highly drafted guys, to step into their own a bit, as well as have a sort of "scoring by committee" from the new acquistions as well as a sprinkle from the back end and now, I'm getting worried.

Losing last night 4-0: The team played hard, despite the final score, but I seriously wonder just how sustainable the message in the room is when nobody can seem to score despite outshooting a team in a similar situation as you are (rebuilding, retooling). Last night was the first night I really got worried when I looked at our blueline situation too. Johnson, Wiz and Tyutin are all locked up for at least another 4 years. While I appreciate the outward signs of leadership, i only hope that can hold up if this continues spiraling downward.

Basically, just like last year, a full game effort still seems to allude this team. I said after the Detroit loss that the team caught a break in that Nashville and Detroit both couldn't bury the CBJ early, which could have happened if not for Bob's play in the first periods of both games, that the team would need to find the offense in a hurry would they would go nowhere again this season.

I know its early, And I'm not going to pretend to know everyone's expectations for this team here. What I will say is that I was praying for the lockout to wipe away the season, get us a great shot at the first overall again, and come back with a renewed focus, energy next season. What we have seems to be a group of guys that are willing to try harder and for longer stretches of game time, but still to a similar, albeit less embarassing, result.

I think a lot of it is players playing stupid right now and taking dumb and/or lazy penalties at the wrong time. In Phoenix, down 1 goal, Brass trips a guy and before play is stopped, Dorsett effing trips another guy to give a full 2 min 5 on 3. Jack Johnson just whacks Sullivan later in the period for a slash. Last night, down 1 goal in 1st and us on the Power Play, Dubinsky takes cross check penalty and then pulls in another 2 mins for unsportsmanlike. In both cases, the other team gets another goal to go up 2 on us.:shakehead

On the good side, we have the same number of points (3) as LAK and NYR COMBINED. They are 1-5-1 combined, we are 1-2-1. Although I think the chance of NYR not making the playoffs is about as good as us making the playoffs, this short season doesn't leave too much room for error. LAK barely made playoffs last year, so not as farfetched to see them miss. It'd be nice to have some good draft picks and 2-3 chances at #1 overall.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
For all those who think that when we work off the rust and get in game shape things will be better, just think the other teams will have that same situation.

About the only thing I can cling to is with all the new guys the lack of training camp is a major issue.

What makes you think that we will win anything over the next nine games? We've been pretty soundly outplayed in all four games, save about a 15 minute stretch against Detroit. We have six goals in four games, and that isn't a fluke.

I haven't seen the hard working team that was promised, and I see a rash of stupid penalties. If there is a worse team in the league, I'd like to know who it is.

Still, I'll be there Saturday.

Fine. Like I said above, I'm less concerned with making some sort of magical run on the homestand than I am with assessing whether the team is playing better and with more consistency. I'm more concerned with how the Jackets are playing. Gotta start somewhere.

For me, I think I'll be comfortable making definitive statement after the next 9 games. Right now, I still don't really know anything about this team.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think a lot of it is players playing stupid right now and taking dumb and/or lazy penalties at the wrong time. In Phoenix, down 1 goal, Brass trips a guy and before play is stopped, Dorsett effing trips another guy to give a full 2 min 5 on 3. Jack Johnson just whacks Sullivan later in the period for a slash. Last night, down 1 goal in 1st and us on the Power Play, Dubinsky takes cross check penalty and then pulls in another 2 mins for unsportsmanlike. In both cases, the other team gets another goal to go up 2 on us.:shakehead

There it is.

Having said that, Johansen seems to be the key to scoring chances at this point. Need some people to step up. No wonder Letestu was on the bench, he is not playing anything like he did last season. A lot of these "veteran" players look like they've never played a pro season before.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Watch a Caps game. Seriously, they're awful. Nashville looked even worse than the Jackets last night. Maybe them?

Anyways, gotta love the guy who runs the Blue Jackets Facebook trolling HFBoards right now by posting this.

"‎"You're not going to win every single game. The key is not to get too high when you do, and too low when you don't." -- Coach Hinote"

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&set=a.131741573917.106812.80511373917&type=1

Last edited:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

On the good side, we have the same number of points (3) as LAK and NYR COMBINED. They are 1-5-1 combined, we are 1-2-1. Although I think the chance of NYR not making the playoffs is about as good as us making the playoffs, this short season doesn't leave too much room for error. LAK barely made playoffs last year, so not as farfetched to see them miss. It'd be nice to have some good draft picks and 2-3 chances at #1 overall.

Maybe we'll land the 1st and 2nd pick :) That would be a spectacle.

Good post and I agree about the penalties and frustration taking its toll. They did play better last night imo, but obviously not well enough. Bob lettling a softie in ealry doesn't help. A strong effort Sat night could yield 2 points.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Maybe we'll land the 1st and 2nd pick :) That would be a spectacle.

Indeed it would. I'm just hoping for 2 in the top 10 and I find that to be almost impossible. Would be funny to lose the #1 pick out a non-playoff team, that being either the Rangers or Kings.

Unless we do a 180 quickly, I can really see us finishing dead last in the West based on this start. At this moment in time, we are just that bad.

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
If I'm looking to send a message to the team that they can't play undisciplined and sloppy hockey, Dorsett is sitting in the press box Saturday.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If I'm looking to send a message to the team that they can't play undisciplined and sloppy hockey, Dorsett is sitting in the press box Saturday.

As much as I agree in concept, Brassard deserves it just as much if not more. That cross check last night (despite the official saying it was Dubi), trip the previous night, not to mention is sloppy handling of the puck the last two games.... You need far more from a player of his talent.

I expect Dorse to be undisciplined from time to time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad