Post-Game Talk: Game #4: Canucks 3 vs. Devils 2 (OT) - Luongo vs. Schneider

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
if santo gets 20-20-40, would you guys want him to be a core member?

he seems to love it as a canuck and has more chemistry with booth

than kesler with anyone

Absolutely. He has outperformed Weise, who is also up for a contract. I'd sooner after him a new one. But we shall see how things pan out as the season rolls on.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I need to watch Booth more carefully.

To me...he looked like one of the worst Canucks.

He's skating really well....but the puck seems to be bouncing off of his stick. It seems like as soon as he gets the puck, the puck hits a bump in the ice and jumps around...
Maybe he should switch wings? i dont know....
Also, his hockey sense is pretty horrible..a few times in the offensive zone when he was actually able to keep the puck on his stick for more than 3 seconds, there was a man open that he just didnt see.
I know...i know he's not a playmaker... he's a speedster, go to the net with a pretty good shot goal scorer type player ....but i'm not sold on him yet.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
After a closer look inside the stats Booth had an outstanding game as noted in the PITB blog.

The Canucks out-shot the Devils 10-1 when he was on the ice. Sure, he takes some bad angle shots that skew his numbers a bit, but the only other Canuck to allow just one shot against while on the ice was Yannick Weber, who only played 2:23. Booth played over 18 minutes. Only allowing one shot against in that time is outstanding.
http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/1...13/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Yeah, it was a weird game for the Booth-Kesler-Higgins line. They totally dominated possession, won all kinds of puck battles, and spent most of the night in the NJ zone. But all they generated were a bunch of low-percentage perimeter shots. Nothing in the way of legitimate quality chances.

As for the Neely-Pederson trade, as you say, it was one that was only bad in hindsight.

Pederson was only 25 years old, and was a superstar before suffering a serious injury in 1984-85. He bounced back and scored 70+ points the next year, so it was only fair to assume he'd continue to keep improving with another healthy year under his belt. Had been 3rd in the NHL in scoring in 1982-83, and circa 1984 was in the same tier of players as Hawerchuk, Savard, Francis, Stastny - all guys who are now in the HHOF.

By today's standards, it would be like trading Kassian and a #1 pick for Claude Giroux or Nicklas Backstrom (who are the same age now that Pederson was then, and comparable players). No-brainer move. Sometimes things just develop in a way that could never have been expected.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
Team photo day. Ladies and gentlemen, the 2013-14 Vancouver Canucks.

930e8ffc311111e3a9a222000aa81a0e_8.jpg

Need more alternate captains :sarcasm:

Who are the three on the left in the back row? Blonde hair is Dalpe I think?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I know this has been mentioned on these boards in the past but when Schroeder gets back, why not try him on Kesler's wing? Schroeder is a pass first type of player and has shown that he is atleast competent in his own zone.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kassian-Kesler-Schroeder
Booth-Santorelli-Hansen
Higgins-Richardson-Weise

Who knows maybe an injection of youth on his wings could be what Kesler needs to get going? :dunno:

JS experiment on the wing @ the AHL level has failed and failed big time the few times they tried it. He seems lost when he plays the wing. Kesler on the other hand has played on the wing before (as recent as last year with Roy, who has a similar skillset as JS, of course a lot more proven). So if Kesler plays with JS, its more likely Kesler being the one playing the wing and taking draws.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I need to watch Booth more carefully.

To me...he looked like one of the worst Canucks.

He's skating really well....but the puck seems to be bouncing off of his stick. It seems like as soon as he gets the puck, the puck hits a bump in the ice and jumps around...
Maybe he should switch wings? i dont know....
Also, his hockey sense is pretty horrible..a few times in the offensive zone when he was actually able to keep the puck on his stick for more than 3 seconds, there was a man open that he just didnt see.
I know...i know he's not a playmaker... he's a speedster, go to the net with a pretty good shot goal scorer type player ....but i'm not sold on him yet.

He's playing hard and playing pretty well given he just got back. This is pre-season for him still AND he's coming off an extended injury so he should be given some slack the first month or so into the season. He's playing good enough so far that he isn't a liability and if he keeps this up (and somehow not get hurt), he would actually be earning his paycheck.:laugh:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
This is the top 9 i'd like to see:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Higgins Kesler Booth
Burrows Santorelli Hansen

This only works if the Sedins are still effective with Kassian on their wing. If so, then the kesler line will most likely keep the puck in the opponents zone, keep the momentum in the Canucks favor.
The third line looks good too.... quick, gritty, ability to put up some points...

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
did anyone see the girl in the pink behind the bench watching the jumbotron as opposed to watching the game. :amazed:

Her eyes were glued to the screen. You spend that much money and you watch the GWG in the jumbotron ???? It's funny cause during the highlights they kept showing the reaction of the bench and she sticks out like a sore thumb. :shakehead

Why not just watch it at home?

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
JS experiment on the wing @ the AHL level has failed and failed big time the few times they tried it. He seems lost when he plays the wing. Kesler on the other hand has played on the wing before (as recent as last year with Roy, who has a similar skillset as JS, of course a lot more proven). So if Kesler plays with JS, its more likely Kesler being the one playing the wing and taking draws.

I keep hearing this but my feeling is that if he can't adjust to playing the wing than he should be traded asap. I can understand a winger having a tough time moving to centre but there is no excuse for a centre to not also be an effective winger.

I don't really care how many games it takes, or if there are some bumps along the way, Schroeder needs to learn how to effectively play the wing. It's my belief that if Schroeder wants to have a career, he's going to have to become much more versatile.

I also really believe Kesler needs a natural playmaker on his line, both Schroeder and Kassian could fill this role.

When/if fully healthy, I would like to see them try this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Schroeder
Higgins-Santorelli-Booth
Weise-Richardson-Hansen

Hansen on the 4th line but it's a 4th line that can actually skate & play valuable minutes. Richardson and Hansen would both get PK time as well and Hansen would probably get some 2nd unit PP time, so their minutes wouldn't be too limited.

Not saying it's a permanent thing, I just want to see it tried, especially when we play the deeper teams like the Hawks, Blues and Sharks.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
IMO the only thing seperating this team from being a legit Cup contender is another Manny Malhotra.

That'll be a tough find. I wouldn't be adverse at trying to pry McClement away from the Leafs. He was fantastic last season.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
did anyone see the girl in the pink behind the bench watching the jumbotron as opposed to watching the game. :amazed:

Her eyes were glued to the screen. You spend that much money and you watch the GWG in the jumbotron ???? It's funny cause during the highlights they kept showing the reaction of the bench and she sticks out like a sore thumb. :shakehead

Hey don't talk about TPM that way! :laugh:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC

Meh, sightlines from right behind the bench can be challenging. I recently sat 4 rows up in the club section on the visitors blue line. There were times that the jumbotron gave me a better view of the play in the far end, especially with the people next to me leaning forward in their seats.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
IMO the only thing seperating this team from being a legit Cup contender is another Manny Malhotra.

That'll be a tough find. I wouldn't be adverse at trying to pry McClement away from the Leafs. He was fantastic last season.

Didn't he sign @ a discount to return home? Doubt he'll be leaving anytime soon.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The World According to Torts:

"I don't judge the goaltenders. I don't even know what they do, I just want them to stop the puck."

Easy enough to say when you have Lundqvist and Luongo as your past and current goalies.

John Grahame says hello.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I keep hearing this but my feeling is that if he can't adjust to playing the wing than he should be traded asap. I can understand a winger having a tough time moving to centre but there is no excuse for a centre to not also be an effective winger.

I don't really care how many games it takes, or if there are some bumps along the way, Schroeder needs to learn how to effectively play the wing. It's my belief that if Schroeder wants to have a career, he's going to have to become much more versatile.

I also really believe Kesler needs a natural playmaker on his line, both Schroeder and Kassian could fill this role.

When/if fully healthy, I would like to see them try this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Schroeder
Higgins-Santorelli-Booth
Weise-Richardson-Hansen

Hansen on the 4th line but it's a 4th line that can actually skate & play valuable minutes. Richardson and Hansen would both get PK time as well and Hansen would probably get some 2nd unit PP time, so their minutes wouldn't be too limited.

Not saying it's a permanent thing, I just want to see it tried, especially when we play the deeper teams like the Hawks, Blues and Sharks.

Agreed. I think Torts should give him a look there for at least 10-20 games, not do what AV did and give him a couple shifts and hope for it to magically work.

Wetcoaster

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
"I still think there's room for improvement, but we played better last night." - Bieksa

Wetcoaster

From CanucksTV - Mike Santorelli overtime goal against the New Jersey Devils as captured by our GoPro camera in a camera-window inside the boards at Rogers Arena.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
how come there's 4 assistant captain. i give an A to hamhuis. before burrows but that's imo

I get that it's vital for those players to have that letter, but the real reason for an alternate is to have a player on the ice that can argue to a ref in place of the captain right?

Kinda weird Burr has an A if that's the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad