GDT: Game 4 | Calgary Flames @ Columbus | 7 PM EST - May the Fifth Line Be With You!

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I mean, up 3-1 and less than 10 seconds left and your shooting at the empty net from your own zone?

I know how I would react if I was on the opposing team. Pretty similar. If it’s ok to shoot it at that point, it should be ok to be hit.

That said, James Wisniewski would get 25 games for that hit. Really though, he’s “driving upwards, yet, the “leaving the feet” is from the follow through and Laine already bailing towards the ice.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I mean, up 3-1 and less than 10 seconds left and your shooting at the empty net from your own zone?

I know how I would react if I was on the opposing team. Pretty similar. If it’s ok to shoot it at that point, it should be ok to be hit.

That said, James Wisniewski would get 25 games for that hit. Really though, he’s “driving upwards, yet, the “leaving the feet” is from the follow through and Laine already bailing towards the ice.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllll... I disagree. If it's 3-1, and you have your net empty because you're trying to get back in the game, you can't complain because someone tries to score in said empty net. You're trying to score? Guess what: We're trying to score. Let's not have a double standard out there; one standard will do just fine. It doesn't give you a license to throw cheap shots.

If he had thrown a clean hit on Laine, I'd be the first one to stand up and shout "fair game." He didn't.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

It’s not about getting hit it’s about getting headshot.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllll... I disagree. If it's 3-1, and you have your net empty because you're trying to get back in the game, you can't complain because someone tries to score in said empty net. You're trying to score? Guess what: We're trying to score. Let's not have a double standard out there; one standard will do just fine. It doesn't give you a license to throw cheap shots.

If he had thrown a clean hit on Laine, I'd be the first one to stand up and shout "fair game." He didn't.
It’s not about getting hit it’s about getting headshot.

Well hockey is still a contact sport also. If you have no issue with the shot, then you shout have no issue with the hit. Laine put himself in a vulnerable position trying to score an empty net goal from his own defensive zone with about 5 seconds left and quite literally put himself in an even more vulnerable position immediately before the hit and was dropping towards the ice.

Laine took a literal cheap shot, so he was “cheapshotted”. Don’t the feelings of the Calgary players count for anything!?!? The hit looks to be thrown literally ONLY because Laine was attempting the shot to begin with.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Well hockey is still a contact sport also. If you have no issue with the shot, then you shout have no issue with the hit. Laine put himself in a vulnerable position trying to score an empty net goal from his own defensive zone with about 5 seconds left and quite literally put himself in an even more vulnerable position immediately before the hit and was dropping towards the ice.

Laine took a literal cheap shot, so he was “cheapshotted”. Don’t the feelings of the Calgary players count for anything!?!? The hit looks to be thrown literally ONLY because Laine was attempting the shot to begin with.

How come I'm not surprised on your take. I was not a fan of how Laine played that, because he did put himself in a vulnerable position. But if you watch that, he's not shooting from his own zone, he makes sure the puck leaves his stick after the blueline. Which is probably why he got into such an awkward position in the first place.

However all that is blah blah, the issue with that hit is that IT'S NOT A CLEAN HIT.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

You’re smarter than this.

It is against the rules to hit a guy in the head. It is against the rules to jump on a hit. Andersson does both. That’s not even mentioning the time clock situation.

Sorry, your personal vendetta against Laine is not more important than the rules. He will be suspended, as he should be. And you know this.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009

No excuse for the hit on Laine. It was a dirty, dangerous headshot.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009

It is against the rules to hit a guy in the head. It is against the rules to jump on a hit. Andersson does both. That’s not even mentioning the time clock situation.

Sorry, your personal vendetta against Laine is not more important than the rules. He will be suspended, as he should be. And you know this.

I don't know where to start. Headshots are dangerous and there shouldn't be any tolerance of them or justification for them. Headshots end players' careers. There's no excuse for the hit.

I can't be the only one who is livid about that hit on Laine. That was unbelievably dirty. If there isn't a suspension I am going to be beyond pissed off.
Absolutely agree, it was a dirty, dangerous headshot. Anderson? should sit for some gms and pay a fine. I hope Laine is okay.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

Wow. Just wow. I’ve gotten used to your nonsense in everything regarding Laine, but this takes the price, can you go any lower? I find your view on this dangerous and cowardly hit disgusting.

And one more thing - every player should try to score in all situations because you know, it’s kind of the point of the game.

How many seconds do you think that there should be left on the clock before a player is not allowed to score in an empty net? Following your logic Calgary players should have stopped trying to score and play the last seconds also. Clearly they didn’t, they played with an empty net to have an extra atacker.

I simply can’t understand how one can victim blame Laine in this dirty and dangerous play. This is a new level of low, when I thought it couldn’t go lower.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Wow. Just wow. I’ve gotten used to your nonsense in everything regarding Laine, but this takes the price, can you go any lower? I find your view on this dangerous and cowardly hit disgusting.

And one more thing - every player should try to score in all situations because you know, it’s kind of the point of the game.

How many seconds do you think that there should be left on the clock before a player is not allowed to score in an empty net? Following your logic Calgary players should have stopped trying to score and play the last seconds also. Clearly they didn’t, they played with an empty net to have an extra atacker.

I simply can’t understand how one can victim blame Laine in this dirty and dangerous play. This is a new level of low, when I thought it couldn’t go lower.
I have a feeling the person in question would excuse something worse if it involved Laine.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I didn't see the game tonight because I was at high school football but of course I went perusing twitter to find out the latest info. I can't believe how many people victim blame every dirty hit in the league. The amount of comments justifying the hit because "Laine needs to keep his head up is disturbing.
Regardless of whether Laine should have his head up, it’s a dirty illegal hit to leave your feet, leading with your elbow and making contact with the head. When you add in the timing of the game it’sa but unconscionable.

Some poster on the Flames board says’ clean hit, love Ras’. If a player on my team did that I’d be embarrassed.

Another poster said that he hopes the penalty minutes assessed at the end of the game would suffice to avoid a suspension. I sure hope not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

I must have missed the part where I said the hit was “legal” or shouldn’t have deserved a penalty.

I do however think the hit is being blown out of proportion and both why it happened and the end result was mostly on Laine. The fascination and/or shock of WHY it happened is laughable.

His head is down completely and when he notices the guy at the last second, his legs give way and he drops towards the ice before contact. Andersson, admittedly “driving upwards” and attempting to lay a HARD hit on Laine to send a message, mostly “ramps up” Laine on the follow through of the hit.

My “personal vendetta” isn’t against Laine, it’s against the “softening” of both the game of hockey, and individuals and society as a whole. People said I hated Wisniewski, and I defended his RIDICULOUS suspension for a somewhat similar hit/situation back in the day.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I do however think the hit is being blown out of proportion and both why it happened and the end result was mostly on Laine. The fascination and/or shock of WHY it happened is laughable.

His head is down completely and when he notices the guy at the last second, his legs give way and he drops towards the ice before contact. Andersson, admittedly “driving upwards” and attempting to lay a HARD hit on Laine to send a message, mostly “ramps up” Laine on the follow through of the hit.

My “personal vendetta” isn’t against Laine, it’s against the “softening” of both the game of hockey, and individuals and society as a whole.

You have targeted Laine every chance you've had in every thread on this site that his name has come up. I can't give you the benefit of the doubt anymore. The disliking of a player(s) or how you think the game of hockey should be played is not what I disagree with. But I have certainly tuned out your extreme comments and maybe you need to take the highlighted views to a different place outside of a hockey posting board.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I've got a knuckle-dragging Blues fan arguing with me on reddit that it's a perfectly valid hit because Laine took a shot on the empty net in a decided game and that's unsportsmanlike and deserves to be punished.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

At a time when the much-embattled Gudbranson thoroughly validated his presence and necessity on the roster, as you and many others have noted over and over is actually vital, your go-to take under the circumstances is... blaming Laine?

I'm sorry, but you are 100% undisputedly letting your vendetta with the guy cloud your judgement. There's no excuse for that.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
If shooting on an empty net in the last ten seconds is so unethical, it’s weird that I have never seen such a bitch move towards the shooting player until now. Shooting on an empty net is a part of the game and happens all the time with no shitty reactions from players like Andersson here.

Every month bus seemingly finds a way to top his previous month’s ridiculous opinion.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

While Laine is fair game to get hit, Rasmus Andersson needs to come in about a foot lower. He needs to hit through the chest, not upper shoulders / head.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
My “personal vendetta” isn’t against Laine, it’s against the “softening” of both the game of hockey, and individuals and society as a whole. People said I hated Wisniewski, and I defended his RIDICULOUS suspension for a somewhat similar hit/situation back in the day.
No, you have one on Laine too. I think you’d be singing a different tune it this was Seth Jones or Dubinsky.

Yes, sports as a whole have become softer over time. Leagues and player associations have prioritized health and safety in order for players to age better. Emphasis on skill and less on “dirty” plays. One of my favorite childhood athletes killed himself because of post career brain trauma. So, if we can do more to help out these athletes I’m all for it.

Yes, they are heavily compensated for their risk. That doesn’t waive your right to health and safety after your career is over. In my opinion at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad