GDT: Game 39: Anaheim Ducks vs Detroit Ref Wings - 5pm PT, BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Just posted the line ups , we are actually almost fully healthy. I like Jones but he is a bottom 6 player and just missing Carlsson now.

There really is no F’ing excuses.
I will give you three

1704658952353.jpeg

1704658981138.jpeg

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Leo was just so good there, and him and mctavish was a thing going that they were working on at practice.

Our injuries have been the downfall this season.

With almost half the games played for the season, I dunno if injuries are our downfall. I think it's lack of ES offense and we're not a disciplined team.

Last year's team didn't have any offensive help from it's PP like this year's team. It didn't have any PK help either as both were ranked at the bottom of the league, 31st out of 32 teams for both special teams efficiencies. We are also committing an extra penalty per game this year compared to last year. We're the only PK unit with an 80% PK efficiency rate that's given up more than 25 PK goals against, with 34 PK goals against. That's a 9 goal difference.

At ES offense, the only lines that look good are the ones who know how to dump-n-chase. Mac's line is great at scoring, but when Mac isn't on the ice centering Vatrano and Strome, then Vatrano and Strome are impotent. The fourth line centered by Carrick (with Leason) also does the dump and chase. Carrick and Leason ranked tied for 6th in goal scoring for the team with 6 goals apiece.

We are only 3 points better than last year's team after 38 games despite having more talent and talent depth.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
With almost half the games played for the season, I dunno if injuries are our downfall. I think it's lack of ES offense and we're not a disciplined team.

Last year's team didn't have any offensive help from it's PP like this year's team. It didn't have any PK help either as both were ranked at the bottom of the league, 31st out of 32 teams for both special teams efficiencies. We are also committing an extra penalty per game this year compared to last year. We're the only PK unit with an 80% PK efficiency rate that's given up more than 25 PK goals against, with 34 PK goals against. That's a 9 goal difference.

At ES offense, the only lines that look good are the ones who know how to dump-n-chase. Mac's line is great at scoring, but when Mac isn't on the ice centering Vatrano and Strome, then Vatrano and Strome are impotent. The fourth line centered by Carrick (with Leason) also does the dump and chase. Carrick and Leason ranked tied for 6th in goal scoring for the team with 6 goals apiece.

We are only 3 points better than last year's team after 38 games despite having more talent and talent depth.
Injuries absolutely play a part. And, to a lesser extent, fewer games played on this date. Games last year at this point vs this year.

Zegras - 40/18
Terry - 40/35
Strome - 40/35
Henrique - 39/37
McTavish - 40/31
Vatrano - 40/38
Carlsson - 0/23
Killorn - 0/28

The top 6 had missed 1 game last year as a group, and weren't all new to the system.. That top 6 has missed 34 games as a group this season, frequently with multiples out at the same time. The addition of Carson and Killorn don’t offset that, because they’ve been out at the same time as other top 6 players, so it’s not a zero sum situation.

Keep in mind that players are usually neither game fit nor “healthy” when they return from injury, and it’s absolutely a valid excuse. As is the lack of ability to develop chemistry. We have had a number of 3rd/4th line guys playing on our 1st and 2nd line this year, vs a stable top 6 last year.

Reactions: Leonardo87

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
As I said before, they are not bleeding goals as much as the other bottom 5 teams. But they cannot score even if their life depended on it. There is enough skill on this roster to be scoring at least 3 goals a game most games, so I put more fault on the coaching and execution. Newell Brown is also rearing his ugly head once again since they are 5% on the PP since Leo went down.

They are always on their heels defending, maybe if they attack more, shoot the puck more, maybe will score more? I mean it’s not rocket science. I can’t give credit to a lot of the teams out there. Ducks find ways to lose, and it makes it easier for their opponents.

Someone said it in the roster thread. Tired of some of them like Zegras or Terry looking good and having chances. They need to get on the scoresheet. May need to score some greasy ones for that to happen.

I had to reply to even see your post, otherwise I all I see is two Google ads over your post. What's up with that HB?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Injuries absolutely play a part. And, to a lesser extent, fewer games played on this date. Games last year at this point vs this year.

Zegras - 40/18
Terry - 40/35
Strome - 40/35
Henrique - 39/37
McTavish - 40/31
Vatrano - 40/38
Carlsson - 0/23
Killorn - 0/28

The top 6 had missed 1 game last year as a group, and weren't all new to the system.. That top 6 has missed 34 games as a group this season, frequently with multiples out at the same time. The addition of Carson and Killorn don’t offset that, because they’ve been out at the same time as other top 6 players, so it’s not a zero sum situation.

Keep in mind that players are usually neither game fit nor “healthy” when they return from injury, and it’s absolutely a valid excuse. As is the lack of ability to develop chemistry. We have had a number of 3rd/4th line guys playing on our 1st and 2nd line this year, vs a stable top 6 last year.

From your list, it shows we have more depth this year than last year for our top-6. What was one of my huge points.

• Extra points about top-6 roster games:
    • Mac wasn't part of the top-6 when the team transitioned him to center, starting as a 4C in game 10 of the season. Mac eventually made the jump to 1C on game 39, leaping both Strome and Zegras. (We experimented on game 18 as 2C with Strome on his wing. It was disastrous and went back to Mac at 3C.)
    • Carlsson playing 23 games is disingenuous b/c he's been on a proposed load mgmt program. Sure, he has been injured a couple of times, but Carlsson could have also logged far more games than 23 game before his latest injury.
    • Sure, we've put some 3rd and 4th liners up in the top-6, but simultaneously put someone in our top-6 into the bottom-6 such as Rico, Strome, and Killorn.

I'm not saying injuries didn't hurt us this season. I'm saying our issues are far bigger than injuries since we have better talent depth this year.

We lost Drysdale last year for the season after 8 games. That was devastating for our defense as well as generating offensive production from the backend. We lost Vaak before the season started last year too. This season, we had a similar situation, but had more talent available to absorb those losses. We've lost Gudas off and on a few times as well. The defense is doing it's job well enough compared to last season.

Taken as a whole with injuries and talent depth, we're performing on defense, but not at offense. And the only grouping that can produce well on offense consistently are the ones that can dump-n-chase well with centers Mac and Carrick. Carrick not being a top-6 forward.

Before Terry's injury, Terry has incapable of scoring well. You use the excuse of a baby. That could be true, but his play this year was similar to last year with his puck hero mentality. Yet, he scored last year. Similarly with Zegras. Why can't either of those players score under Cronin? Why can't Strome and Vatrano score when Mac isn't available?

Injuries cannot be the default reason when injuries have hit our blueline and we're not struggling at ES. We're middle of the pack at GA at 5v5, but 2nd worst GF at 5v5, according to Natural Stat Trick.

Our ES offense is akin to our PP. We can only score when more talented players are available. When we don't have those talented players, then we can't score because we have a terrible design. That's why we're streaky at both the PP and ES offense.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
@la patineuse

Also might want to consider becoming a sponsor. Best 12 bucks spent, even if you don’t post as much.

That will eliminate a lot of the ads and whatnot.
Where do we do this at? I’ll pay that to not have my browser reload every few minutes because of an ad.

Edit: never mind I found where

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The classic make a website borderline unusable so people have to pay to make it usable again.

It’s really more of a donation, admins and mods don’t get paid, and it still cost money to run this site. Like any other site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA