GDT: Game 37: Avs at Nucks | 2 Jan 8pm MT, 3 Jan 9:30am MMT | For Real This Time, STNYR*

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Speaking of Football, the New York City FC has 62 goals, in 34 games, we have 76 in 37 games. Close enough.

after looking it up while bored at work, it turns out that from the five major leagues, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventis, and AS Monaco are all outscoring the Avs on a per-game basis

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
If a Landy trade can return a solid D man and a good prospect, you take it.

I'm kind of tired of hearing this. I love Duchene but I'd rather trade him loooooong before Gabe for a multitude of reasons. I really don't even want him gone at all. I'd rather get solid returns for Duchene and Barrie and retool this *****.

- Dutchy will net a greater return
- Dutchy is older while Gabe fits our young core better (Gabe will be a solid vet by the time we are ready to compete)
- Dutchy plays too similar of a game to Mack
- Dutchy is too streaky
- With Jost, Compher, and Mack our center pipleline looks more promising than our winger depth
- Gabe is basically our only defensively responsible forward
- Gabe is our captain
- etc.

If we get an unbeatable offer for Gabe, then you make that trade, otherwise get the too one-dimensional players out of their in Duchene and Barrie.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What realistically are they supposed to say?

I know they shouldn't single out certain players since this is professional sport and all, but i'd like to hear someone show genuine leadership and concern and just say something like, we are a bad team who can't win games right now and we need to start looking deep inside the team and see what the problem is. Besides if they tried to single out players, it would be a very long list. Just say we are bad and we need to change that. That comment is simple, doesn't single out players, and it sends a message that changes need to be made ASAP.

That's what i would of said if i was a player on the Avs being interviewed after every loss. Not, we played a good game, PP lets us down one game, other game it was the PK, game before that was something else.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm kind of tired of hearing this. I love Duchene but I'd rather trade him loooooong before Gabe for a multitude of reasons. I really don't even want him gone at all. I'd rather get solid returns for Duchene and Barrie and retool this *****.

- Dutchy will net a greater return
- Dutchy is older while Gabe fits our young core better (Gabe will be a solid vet by the time we are ready to compete)
- Dutchy plays too similar of a game to Mack
- Dutchy is too streaky
- With Jost, Compher, and Mack our center pipleline looks more promising than our winger depth
- Gabe is basically our only defensively responsible forward
- Gabe is our captain
- etc.

If we get an unbeatable offer for Gabe, then you make that trade, otherwise get the too one-dimensional players out of their in Duchene and Barrie.

And the biggest one of all. Duchene's contract has 2 years left, Landeskog's has 4.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I know they shouldn't single out certain players since this is professional sport and all, but i'd like to hear someone show genuine leadership and concern and just say something like, we are a bad team who can't win games right now and we need to start looking deep inside the team and see what the problem is. Besides if they tried to single out players, it would be a very long list. Just say we are bad and we need to change that. That comment is simple, doesn't single out players, and it sends a message that changes need to be made ASAP.

That's what i would of said if i was a player on the Avs being interviewed after every loss. Not, we played a good game, PP lets us down one game, other game it was the PK, game before that was something else.

They've had like 16 losses in their last 19, everyone and their mother knows they blow big time.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Why do you think doing any of what you said equates to "leadership"?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You don't do trades to shake things up this season. It's a lost year and nothing Avs can do will save it. A trade should be made completely without emotion and I see a lot of emotion in the "trade <insert player name>" on this forum.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They've had like 16 losses in their last 19, everyone and their mother knows they blow big time.

Why do you think doing any of what you said equates to "leadership"?

I really think when coach and players say they played a good game and specialty teams let them down, they truly believe that. More like they really think they have a good team, and only small things like PP and PK lets them down.

They'll go work on specialty teams in practice, only to come out and lose another game, and this time put the blame on some other little detail. If there was a true leader on this team like Landeskog should of been, the post game reactions would be different.

They need to start looking at bigger picture, that there this team is broken, a lot of players don't want to be there and don't play together as a team, but i don't know if Sakic and Bednar see it that way and don't really think they have a bad team, they probably go with what Bednar is saying after every game, that they need to work on little things.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I really think when coach and players say they played a good game and specialty teams let them down, they truly believe that. More like they really think they have a good team, and only small things like PP and PK lets them down.

They'll go work on specialty teams in practice, only to come out and lose another game, and this time put the blame on some other little detail. If there was a true leader on this team like Landeskog should of been, the post game reactions would be different.

They need to start looking at bigger picture, that there this team is broken, a lot of players don't want to be there and don't play together as a team, but i don't know if Sakic and Bednar see it that way and don't really think they have a bad team, they probably go with what Bednar is saying after every game, that they need to work on little things.

Ah, so that's the problem...

2d41f72deede37abb978d0399f67fcc97b46c1217fb976a652f3f9233b9fdd68.jpg

Yeah, these people are getting paid a lot of money to play a game, but they're competitors, they want to compete, and they hate losing. I have yet to come across a single professional athlete who doesn't hate losing.

Being a leader on a hockey team doesn't automatically equal calling out your teammates or your team for every bad loss/string of losses. It doesn't automatically equal someone who is willing to stand up and yell at his teammates in the locker room, or exhibit wild emotions on the ice. A lot of things that go 100% unseen by the public go into being a Captain/leader of a hockey team. So much that we don't get to witness firsthand.

And like TV's been asking--what do you realistically want them to say? If you're just wanting someone to aimlessly blame this and that for the Avs' woes, then just watch Rycroft (even if he's softening).

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

That stuff is all being said behind closed doors. Leadership isnt pandering to fans.

Calling players out publically and saying how bad the team sucks is what some people want to hear but does nothing to help the Avs short term or long term.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
That stuff is all being said behind closed doors. Leadership isnt pandering to fans.

Calling players out publically and saying how bad the team sucks is what some people want to hear but does nothing to help the Avs short term or long term.

Agree but on the other hand, saying they are playing well is delusional. Show that you are mad with losing games and are not satisfied with playing OK. Not calling out anybody of course.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I would not trade Duchene this season, way too early.

See what happens in the off-season, see how the team starts next year.

Then after Jan 1 2018 see if you can extend him. If not, you have 2018 TDL, 2018 summer and 2019 TDL to trade him. Plenty of time.

That being said, if there is a ''sure win'' trade available you pull the trigger on any Avs player anytime.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Read my post carefully, I didn't say they should call out players individually, in fact I said that's what they shouldn't do, but they also shouldn't say they play good and make nonsense excuses to why they lose every game, that makes them sound stupid, and kind of ignorant. There is nothing wrong with standing up and saying that the team is bad, not playing as a team, and things are just broken, because that's the truth and will be more helpful if someone actually says that. I just want someone to show that they care instead of making excuses after excuses

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They weren't saying they were playing well. How many actually listens to the pressers or interviews still? They have to find some positive in what they are doing because they have to focus on something to get them through the next 3 months. They make plenty of statements about mistakes. Beauch "showed he cared" by banging his stick and people endlessly laugh about that now. How many times have Landy called it embarrassing? Mack, Duchene and Barrie all have too. I dont buy for a second you guys are still listening to them. Y'all are just waiting to get some hot takes from twitter.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Read my post carefully, I didn't say they should call out players individually, in fact I said that's what they shouldn't do, but they also shouldn't say they play good and make nonsense excuses to why they lose every game, that makes them sound stupid, and kind of ignorant. There is nothing wrong with standing up and saying that the team is bad, not playing as a team, and things are just broken, because that's the truth and will be more helpful if someone actually says that. I just want someone to show that they care instead of making excuses after excuses

I read your post carefully, I know what you said (it's more-or-less the same stuff you say after a string of bad losses the last couple of years), and I said that you seem to want them (Sakic, Bednar, Landeskog, etc.) to call out the whole team, and I said being a leader is more than doing that (and true, I did say it's also more than just calling out one individual).

My point is a player, coach, or GM standing up and publicly calling out the team isn't exactly the same thing as "leadership", and I see the misconception far too often. I don't buy that anyone doing that is going to magically fix things, for the reasons TV already stated--Landeskog has already said it, so have other players; last year you could visibly see it get to Roy; and this year Beauchemin did his "show you ****ing care" thing and people laughed at it.

If you want hot takes, might I suggest Skip Bayless?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They weren't saying they were playing well. How many actually listens to the pressers or interviews still? They have to find some positive in what they are doing because they have to focus on something to get them through the next 3 months. They make plenty of statements about mistakes. Beauch "showed he cared" by banging his stick and people endlessly laugh about that now. How many times have Landy called it embarrassing? Mack, Duchene and Barrie all have too. I dont buy for a second you guys are still listening to them. Y'all are just waiting to get some hot takes from twitter.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/02/avalanche-continues-losing-ways-canucks/

We gave ourselves a chance to win, that was a good goal by Tyson,†Nathan MacKinnon said of Barrie’s game-tying score. “We were solid tonight, 5-on-5 we were good.

Special teams was the difference in the game, we were in the box way too much.†Jared Bednar said.

“That whole game I thought we played hard, played a good solid hockey games except for eight or 10 plays,†he said. “Some they didn’t score on, some were turnovers, some were penalties.

This is what they are saying, i'm not making stuff up. And they say this after every loss. This are nonsense excuses at best

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011

yes, because trading your top goal scorer on a team that cannot score goals is a brilliant solution

to your other point about Duchene being too streaky ..... at least he has goal scoring streaks
by the way I challenge you to look at his game logs vs other players including Towes and Kane which I did a comparison of a few games ago .... Duchene is not as streaky as you wish us to believe

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You don't do trades to shake things up this season. It's a lost year and nothing Avs can do will save it. A trade should be made completely without emotion and I see a lot of emotion in the "trade <insert player name>" on this forum.

Just trade for picks. Any picks. Call up the boys from Texas and let'em play. The following players need to be actively shopped.

Soderberg
Iginla
Francois
Charmin & Scott ( Grigorenko and Colbourne)
Tyutin
Mitchell
Bourque

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I read your post carefully, I know what you said (it's more-or-less the same stuff you say after a string of bad losses the last couple of years), and I said that you seem to want them (Sakic, Bednar, Landeskog, etc.) to call out the whole team, and I said being a leader is more than doing that (and true, I did say it's also more than just calling out one individual).

My point is a player, coach, or GM standing up and publicly calling out the team isn't exactly the same thing as "leadership", and I see the misconception far too often. I don't buy that anyone doing that is going to magically fix things, for the reasons TV already stated--Landeskog has already said it, so have other players; last year you could visibly see it get to Roy; and this year Beauchemin did his "show you ****ing care" thing and people laughed at it.

If you want hot takes, might I suggest Skip Bayless?

Don't call out individuals, but the team absolutely needs to be called out. They are about to set a franchise low in points, and overall one of the worst seasons in the NHL history. This team is an embarrassment, a joke, and losing respect in the NHL, to the point where no one is gonna want to sign with them, so getting good UFA players is gonna be hard. They need to be called out, and that's exactly what needs to happen

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Don't call out individuals, but the team absolutely needs to be called out. They are about to set a franchise low in points, and overall one of the worst seasons in the NHL history. This team is an embarrassment, a joke, and losing respect in the NHL, to the point where no one is gonna want to sign with them, so getting good UFA players is gonna be hard. They need to be called out, and that's exactly what needs to happen

It. Has. Already. Happened.

As TV (and myself) have already said, here it is again:

How many times have Landy called it embarrassing? Mack, Duchene and Barrie all have too.

Do you know why she asked that? Because Landeskog has called the team's performance embarrassing on more than one occasion.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

They are being called out. Behind closed doors.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/22/nathan-mackinnon-avalanche-showing-embarrassing/

Nathan MacKinnon doesn't mince words.

“It’s embarrassing,” the Avalanche center said Thursday morning. “Even like waving at the security people around the rink, it’s like … I’m sure they’re disappointed in us, being in last. I don’t think it’s how anybody is here, just collecting a paycheck and feeling good about themselves. It’s definitely gloomy but we’re trying to stay positive. It’s tough when you’re in 30th but we’re trying to focus on tonight and having a good game.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad