GDT: Game 36: Anaheim at Columbus 3/31 6:00PM EDT : Easter Egg Edition

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Incredible win. What a goalie. Seemed to me at times we were on the refs bad side for some reason, but we prevailed in the end, and who cares if ANA gets a point, they are lock at this point.

I'm excited to be in 8th, but games played of course tells a different tale. I think at some point, we'll look back at the NSH and EDM road losses from last week with regret. Those points could very well bite us in the ass.

We have to finish 8-4 to have a real chance, while 9-3 would be pretty much a lock on 8th.

More importantly we have to beat the contenders and deny them even a single point in those games. We can't allow NSH and EDM to both walk with W's like we did last week. Thursday and Friday's games (NSH and STL) are HUGE.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I should also point out two amazing plays by Anisimov in the overtime, almost resulted in a goal. He's a clutch, a very dynamic player

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
That was a great game to see live! We had comp seats in 105 and really enjoyed the different, and closer, view. At one point, my wife said, "they sure talk a lot to each other!" We usually sit a bit higher up and in the corner, so it's not nearly as noticeable from there.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
That was a great game to see live! We had comp seats in 105 and really enjoyed the different, and closer, view. At one point, my wife said, "they sure talk a lot to each other!" We usually sit a bit higher up and in the corner, so it's not nearly as noticeable from there.

I've sat in 103 for years and candidly, they haven't talked this much to each other in years. There's a real TEAM there.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I've sat in 103 for years and candidly, they haven't talked this much to each other in years. There's a real TEAM there.

I love it when I see Calvert come off the ice after a great pk, and get patted on the back by Acton, Anisimov, Atkinson, and others. You can't watch these guys every night and not become endeared to this team.

Its going to be very hard watching any sort of rebuild at this point. I know we need upgrades at various positions, I'd just like to see it done gradually and through attrition. Don't lose the team atmosphere we have achieved by swapping out 4 or 5 pieces in one off season.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
41a2936c7a826b65c4eede51db010.png

Checked out the standings this morning and saw this. Great work dudes! Wanna see you guys in the playoffs!

-From a Wild fan.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I wouldn't mind you guys getting points out of our games either, as long as it meant us winning. ;)

I'm sure if we kick the crap out of the Blues tonight you guys will really appreciate it.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
I remember when Derek Dorsett, Derick Brassard, and Steve Mason were the surprise players. And they'd legitimately not played for XGMDM at the NHL level, as opposed to everyone you mentioned. :)

Let's not play the "Howson does/doesn't deserve credit" game, okay? :)

You make false comparisons to way low draft picks Matty-Boy and Prout, and UNdrafted Letetsu.

Brassard has never lived up to the hype of being a #1.

Dorsett was never a surprise, just a tough kid who's progressed nicely, and who's game has likely peaked.

Mase was OHL goaltender of the year. .

Believe what you will about SH, but the Post-Howson record speaks for itself ...thus far.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I love it when I see Calvert come off the ice after a great pk, and get patted on the back by Acton, Anisimov, Atkinson, and others. You can't watch these guys every night and not become endeared to this team.

You guys should feel free to share this kind of in-arena knowledge any time you want. I'm not in Ohio anymore, and I really value this stuff that I can't get myself.

One thing that JJ shared in an interview in February was that this team was tighter socially than any team he'd ever seen. He said "You see one of us, you see all of us." I think this helped lead to an on-ice ethic of guys who would really battle and sacrifice for each other.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bob, Matty-boy, Testtube, and Dalton Prout.

For years we've hoped for and needed a couple of surprise players, and now we've found four.

Yes, they were picked by XGMSH, but they didn't play FOR him.

Players don't play FOR the GM. It's the GM's job to either win now or add assets to the organization and build for a long-term winner (when they'll likely be gone). Howson did a good job at the latter. Consider the four players you mentioned above: Bob, Letestu, Calvert and Prout had a combined cost to the Jackets of the following draft picks: a 2nd rounder, 3 4ths, a 5th, and a 6th. That's astoundingly good asset management, and it's a huge part of what a GM's job is, and what they are evaluated on.

You make false comparisons to way low draft picks Matty-Boy and Prout, and UNdrafted Letetsu.

Brassard has never lived up to the hype of being a #1.

Dorsett was never a surprise, just a tough kid who's progressed nicely, and who's game has likely peaked.

Mase was OHL goaltender of the year. .

Believe what you will about SH, but the Post-Howson record speaks for itself ...thus far.

This is one of those posts where I keep looking really hard for a ":sarcasm:." Viqsi was making an argument that it is pretty silly to give GM's credit for players they inherit, and your response inadvertently makes Howson look like a genius.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad