GDT: Game 35: Avs @ Stars | Thursday, December 29th, 6:30pm MT | On the Road Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'm sure Bednar lays into them as much as possible. Hell, he benched Iginla for the entire 2nd period save for a shift I believe at the very end. It's on the players. You can't teach compete level. A majority of this teams players do not have it

I'm sure Bednar gives it to them every single game, and I agree it's a personality thing with these players, but I'm actually mean and would make life hell for these guys. They wouldn't enjoy me.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Just listening to the tone of the post game interviews (Landy, Duchene and Bednar) it really is starting to sound like these guys are ready to give up. A lot of talk of lost confidence and not knowing how to get themselves out of this hole.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I thought they actually had ok energy after the PPs and then the Grigo goal. But they just can't do anything right. I don't think there's any way this current roster is going to play better.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I get the fact that this season is done and all, and the best thing that can happen to this team is drafting the best player available in the next draft, but this losing like there is no tomorrow can also screw up the confidence of many players on this team to the point where they just wont be able to recover.

This team is a complete joke of the NHL right now. They are irrelevant and no one even talks about this team anymore, or if they do, they just bash the hell out of the Avs. What is Sakic thinking exactly?

I get that panic moves should not be made, but Sakic also can't let this clown show go on because as i mentioned, it will screw up confidence of young players on this team. I think moves need to be made, even if they aren't big moves, something needs to be done just so they can at least change the atmosphere in that locker room which i imagine isn't very good right now.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Just listening to the tone of the post game interviews (Landy, Duchene and Bednar) it really is starting to sound like these guys are ready to give up. A lot of talk of lost confidence and not knowing how to get themselves out of this hole.

They where done once EJ went down. Not only because he's our #1, but also because they lost hope at that moment.

We are finishing dead last.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The EJ injury was a big factor., they were doing ok in November. I think the only thing they can do is call some guys up. I know, the kids aren't the savior and we don't want to just throw them in the dumpster with everyone else. But I seriously don't know what else they can do.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The EJ injury was a big factor., they were doing ok in November. I think the only thing they can do is call some guys up. I know, the kids aren't the savior and we don't want to just throw them in the dumpster with everyone else. But I seriously don't know what else they can do.

Just play out the season. No point calling anyone up now. Wait until the trade deadline when hopefully some vets are gone from this team to give the kids an opportunity to play stress-free given where we'll be in the standings

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007

To try to get resultat now, yes, I agree. But they need to keep the long term perspective in mind.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The effort seemed to be there but the millions of turnovers are just insane. The PP has looked alot better since Z has been on there but that means little when they cant execute. Makes you wonder what the damn hold up was getting Z on the PP but wateves hes there now and he needs to take advantage of this.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
bje3mFx.jpg

I'm so glad there's World Juniors on.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It's like back in the lockout season where if they're down a goal after 20 I'm tuning out cause they aren't coming back. It's not great.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
When was the last time this forum only made it to 6 pages on a GDT?

I've reached the broken record stage where most of the things I want to say I or others have said so many times. So I just think it and don't post it, to save everyone time.

We all more or less know whats wrong with the team. They don't do the things that lead to offense and don't do defense well enough. Thus they lose a lot of games.

If anyone ever underestimated the importance of winning battles in hockey, 2016-17 Colorado Avalanche is here to teach them they are wrong. Every other team looks so much hungrier than Avs and that's because they have players that realize you need to be first and last on the puck to win stuff.

What Avs are doing is NHL tourism.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I thought they actually had ok energy after the PPs and then the Grigo goal. But they just can't do anything right. I don't think there's any way this current roster is going to play better.

We are watching different games. On each individual shift there "might" be one player with ok energy. But the team is completely flat. This core needs to be blown up, nothing good will come from it. That doesn't mean sell low...there are some awesome complimentary pieces here but the fact remains this core is terrible as a collective.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
How much of this is on the coaches?

Depend which coaches you are talking about. I dont understand why the org dont take a look at the guy in charge of the PP, sometime we are talking about an ez fix , this would be one. Bednar is trying to play a more deffensive play as a result we see close games where 1 PP goal would make all the difference in a game. There was rumour that Tim Army has been in charge of the PP i have no idea why he's still with the Avs IF in fact he's running the PP because our PP has been brutal for years that he has been with us.

Sometime a team is trying to find solutions all over the place where in fact one of the answer is right there and they dont see it.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Depend which coaches you are talking about. I dont understand why the org dont take a look at the guy in charge of the PP, sometime we are talking about an ez fix , this would be one. Bednar is trying to play a more deffensive play as a result we see close games where 1 PP goal would make all the difference in a game. There was rumour that Tim Army has been in charge of the PP i have no idea why he's still with the Avs IF in fact he's running the PP because our PP has been brutal for years that he has been with us.

Sometime a team is trying to find solutions all over the place where in fact one of the answer is right there and they dont see it.

Firing Army is a good start. And he is responsible for the PP, at least was under Roy (Roy said it himself at least once).

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
We are watching different games. On each individual shift there "might" be one player with ok energy. But the team is completely flat. This core needs to be blown up, nothing good will come from it. That doesn't mean sell low...there are some awesome complimentary pieces here but the fact remains this core is terrible as a collective.

They had good energy in comparison to how they usually look like. Not good enough either way. This team looks like someone just picked random guys out of a hat, no synergy, no direction, no nothing.

The sooner they start selling off, the better.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I've reached the broken record stage where most of the things I want to say I or others have said so many times. So I just think it and don't post it, to save everyone time.

We all more or less know whats wrong with the team. They don't do the things that lead to offense and don't do defense well enough. Thus they lose a lot of games.

If anyone ever underestimated the importance of winning battles in hockey, 2016-17 Colorado Avalanche is here to teach them they are wrong. Every other team looks so much hungrier than Avs and that's because they have players that realize you need to be first and last on the puck to win stuff.

What Avs are doing is NHL tourism.

I agree with the hungriness comment. I can accept lack of talent but lack of effort is unnaceptable and that is something under the coach's control. Bednar needs to put in place this hard work culture or he should be sacked.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I agree with the hungriness comment. I can accept lack of talent but lack of effort is unnaceptable and that is something under the coach's control. Bednar needs to put in place this hard work culture or he should be sacked.

How on earth can you teach guys like JC, Iginla, Grigorenko, etc to hustle? They simply don't have that in them, or are just coasting to retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad