GDT: Game 35: Anaheim Ducks vs Arizona Coyotes, 7pm PT, BSSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
been trending pretty poorly for a while now. They’ve won like 4 out of their last 20 games I think? Yikes

Verbeek has kind of begun to dig himself a hole with some long term contracts. A couple of them he inherited(Fowler, Gibson), but he’s also now had a couple clunkers of his own
By the time the Ducks are competing those guys will all be gone.

I’m going off his own timeline for the rebuild also.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
By the time the Ducks are competing those guys will all be gone.

I’m going off his own timeline for the rebuild also.
Ya I’m not too worried about it….
The bigger issue is if we got rid of some of these guys we don’t really have anyone reliable to replace them with.

Gibson, dostal ain’t ready
Older forwards…. Maybe perreault/regenda get a look but not overly optimistic
Fowler is prob the one that could be subbed out and be replaced with a quality option

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
been trending pretty poorly for a while now. They’ve won like 4 out of their last 20 games I think? Yikes

Verbeek has kind of begun to dig himself a hole with some long term contracts. A couple of them he inherited(Fowler, Gibson), but he’s also now had a couple clunkers of his own
I'm liking our signed players, knowing damn well they're overpaid. But players are not jumping out of their pants to sign here so we have to overpay. But we've been able to get actually decent players that are a somewhat great fit.
Having some randos on "good contracts" would be worse, IMO.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm liking our signed players, knowing damn well they're overpaid. But players are not jumping out of their pants to sign here so we have to overpay. But we've been able to get actually decent players that are a somewhat great fit.
Having some randos on "good contracts" would be worse, IMO.
Sure we have to overpay in general but there are good contracts and bad contracts.

Good:
Vatrano
Gudas

Bad:
Killorn

Mediocre:
Strome

That’s the way I see it so far for Verbeek in terms of multi-year commitments

Strome is basically a Henrique replacement, for better or worse

The Killorn contract will not age well, he either is on our 3rd line the next 3 seasons or he’s bought out in a year and a half. At 6.8 million, that’s just objectively bad

Henrique and Silfverberg need to be replaced this offseason with faster players that have more scoring potential. Hopefully Verbeek can find a trade that accomplishes that

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

@WhatTheDuck identified the only long term contract we have is Terry.

With a rebuild team, it's good practice and process to have veterans layered within the roster. The veterans usually aren't superstars. Superstars are found in the draft in rebuilds. Vets are there to be the bridge until the youth can take the reigns, usually.

I like the process of adding FA's Vatrano, Strome, Killorn, and Gudas. Of course there will be warts. The ages of Killorn and Gudas are scary. Strome was probably the wrong brother signed, but played longer in the NHL. Vatrano is a goal scorer, but defense is sus. Mcginn, who was traded for, looks like a vet candidate to take over vet Silf's roster spot on the bottom-6.

We're not expecting to keep Rico and Silf, which would alleviate about $11 mil off the team budget next year. Although, I dunno if I wanna move on from Rico because he's been very consistent in his offense and evolved into a good PK'er. None of the three youths in LaCombe, Lundy, and Vaak will command much on their next contract after this season.

2023-24, Vet to Youth Contracts.png

Source: Cap Friendly

Reactions: Ducks DVM

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He said he doesn’t expect them to push for a playoff spot for 2 more seasons. That means the 26-27 season. And that’s just making the playoffs.

Edit: 2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership
he said 2 seasons from the 2023-2024 season. That, to me, means he expects to push for playoffs in 2025-2026. Not this year, not next year, but the following year. Killorn, Gibson, Strome are all still here that seasin

Perhaps my interpretation is off here

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Sure we have to overpay in general but there are good contracts and bad contracts.

Good:
Vatrano
Gudas

Bad:
Killorn

Mediocre:
Strome

That’s the way I see it so far for Verbeek in terms of multi-year commitments

Strome is basically a Henrique replacement, for better or worse

The Killorn contract will not age well, he either is on our 3rd line the next 3 seasons or he’s bought out in a year and a half. At 6.8 million, that’s just objectively bad

Henrique and Silfverberg need to be replaced this offseason with faster players that have more scoring potential. Hopefully Verbeek can find a trade that accomplishes that
I think that Regenda or Groulx will be the Silfverberg replacement.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
he said 2 seasons from the 2023-2024 season. That, to me, means he expects to push for playoffs in 2025-2026. Not this year, not next year, but the following year. Killorn, Gibson, Strome are all still here that seasin

Perhaps my interpretation is off here
I read it as 2 more seasons after this. I dont think his language made it clear 100% either way. Regardless, I really doubt the Strome and Killorn contracts will hurt the Ducks at all. They really have structured their cap beautifully.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
cronin nails it. They are just getting outworked.most games

This seems to be a common theme and often comes up with Cronin's interviews. Would be interesting to hear what he thinks why that is but we'll never hear that. Are there bad apples or is the culture just poor? Are they not buying into Cronin's system and methods?

I don't know much about sports psychology or psychology in general but it would be interesting to know how much losing and being bad for season after season affects the room? Pro sports probably has some resources to combat this but I wonder if there's a line where the fire inside the players just dies.

I'm getting too deep in this and I'm not even drunk yet. Shit game.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
This seems to be a common theme and often comes up with Cronin's interviews. Would be interesting to hear what he thinks why that is but we'll never hear that. Are there bad apples or is the culture just poor? Are they not buying into Cronin's system and methods?

I don't know much about sports psychology or psychology in general but it would be interesting to know how much losing and being bad for season after season affects the room? Pro sports probably has some resources to combat this but I wonder if there's a line where the fire inside the players just dies.

I'm getting too deep in this and I'm not even drunk yet. Shit game.
"They're not working hard enough. I ran them ragged in camp and overworked them in practice. Why are they losing battles? Makes no sense."

👀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad