GDT: Game 34: Columbus vs. Winnipeg | 12/16 7PM EST

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I want to get to the point where 1 loss doesn't result in a thread like this :laugh: too many people saying stuff just because they can

The Jackets are a team where a win or loss can decide whether or not they make the playoffs, just like last year. We're a .500 team currently on the wrong side of .500.

Also, how many injuries must a team endure during a season? It really sucks.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
And I will... here's why:

Only two coaches with the Jackets have ever led the team to an over .500 record throughout their tenure. Both coached in this game ... one of them only had the reigns of the team for 24 games, and at the end of the season during what I would call "garbage time". He did a good job, but there's a reason he wasn't renewed.

Minor point: Hitchcock was 125-123-36 with the CBJ.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Minor point: Hitchcock was 125-123-36 with the CBJ.

You are correct. But, the point stands .... While we may find someone better than Todd Richards eventually, right now, he's the guy, and he's having success with what's on his plate. May just be my opinion, but I don't think it's fair to plead for his firing after one loss.

A final point before bed and (likely) the end of my comments in this thread: The Jackets boast the same record (5-4-1) over the last ten games as the Nashville Predators, a team being ran by a guy who is unanimously one of the best coaches in the NHL, Barry Trotz. And, they have a better goals for/against ratio than the Preds.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Other than the Foligno fight:yo:a pretty dull affair until the 3rd.

I'm in the injuries do matter camp. Gaborik and Wiz aren't pieces a light scoring team can replace. McBackup #2 isn't the second coming either.

I must be RJUs good luck charm. I've been to Nationwide 6 times this season and he's scored three times. :laugh:

Even the office staff had a tough go of it. No programs were distributed due to those printed having the Minnesota Wild on the inside line up pages.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Without getting into so much of the hyperbole in this thread, it did not seem to me that they played with much urgency until the last 10 minutes of the game.

RBarRegular

May 20, 2009
Senecaville
Savard had one of his better games.

Oh boy. I certainly respect your opinion and it's probably more informed than mine, but I just don't understand the CBJ's love affair with Savard. It makes me cringe to watch him play. Erixon can't get ice over him?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Well he was in the midst of an 8 game goal less streak when he got hurt...we'll see how he comes back, if it's more of the same, it won't help us.

I don't completely agree. Certainly, the greatest benefit of his return would be a resumption of his best scoring pace of the past; but the threat of that, alone, should impact the game. Right now, there is nobody who scares the opposition. Gaborik (and Horton) will add that element, at least, and open ice for the rest. (I hope!)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Team is gonna have to play better in front of McKenna, though. They haven't tightened up, it doesn't feel like to me. And McKenna doesn't give me the impression he's going to steal anything. He's made the saves he should make, and I thought he looked more comfortable last night than Saturday, but this doesn't feel like one of those "hidden gem" situations. Which means everyone else has to be better, which is kind of what I'd hoped would happen.

And yeah, Bob has been bad and whatnot - but that misses my point.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Team is gonna have to play better in front of McKenna, though. They haven't tightened up, it doesn't feel like to me. And McKenna doesn't give me the impression he's going to steal anything. He's made the saves he should make, and I thought he looked more comfortable last night than Saturday, but this doesn't feel like one of those "hidden gem" situations. Which means everyone else has to be better, which is kind of what I'd hoped would happen.

And yeah, Bob has been bad and whatnot - but that misses my point.

Yes, at this point I think we all can realize McKenna is going to allow 3 goals a game, that's just his identity at the nhl level, as it has been in the past. We should never have allowed their 3rd goal, can't give teams 3 on 1s and expect to win at the end of the night, regardless of who's in net.

As for Savard, I thought he played a solid defensive game last night and made some good plays, especially the one that stopped Kane on a drive to the net. He seems more reliable back there than a few of the other guys in my opinion.

Game went south when we lost Prout and then Tyutin for a while. Didn't happen to see the Prout injury, but noticed he wasn't out there for the majority of the game.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Oh boy. I certainly respect your opinion and it's probably more informed than mine, but I just don't understand the CBJ's love affair with Savard. It makes me cringe to watch him play. Erixon can't get ice over him?

Actually I thought he was solid all the way up until he pinched at the wrong time - with Kane on the ice no less. Pretty sure that was Savard.

Having said that; I don't know what Richards issue is with Erixon. I've mentioned it before. This is like a less dramatic Commie situation. It seemed to work with Johansen; but as you noted Savard isn't exactly stellar. Erixon has far more upside and played better than Savard did last season. I don't know what Richards is trying to prove, but this is one of his more baffling decisions. I really don't like it.

I tend to agree with EDM on the urgency part. We had some shifts in the second right before the goal against. The 4th line was going most of the night, but we didn't have much else the first period and a half. That high stick to start the 3rd killed us. I think some of the issues in the first was brought on by top six forwards fighting like dumb *****.

Overall our limited energy was in the wrong place the first period.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yes, at this point I think we all can realize McKenna is going to allow 3 goals a game, that's just his identity at the nhl level, as it has been in the past. We should never have allowed their 3rd goal, can't give teams 3 on 1s and expect to win at the end of the night, regardless of who's in net.

Not sure where you are going with this. His career is 20 games. Not a lot of history to support an identity. We hung out McKenna last night. Nothing really he could do on the first two goals. The third was a laser in a great spot.

We let Kane beat us. Shame on us.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Dose anyone have a program from tonight's game that they do not want? I guess they had the wrong line up in them and got pulled, but some still were passed out.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
One last thought from the game last night. With all due respect to our Canadian friends; that really isn't a good team we played last night. What we played last night was some shot blocking and some prevent defense. When we played our game, for about one period the whole night, we dominated them.

Remotely healthy or even just a bit more energy and we beat them. Even last night, we beat ourselves. Well that and some questionable officiating.

I would like to claim that Winnipeg did a great job the last two minutes. It was more like we just had nothing left. We need some bodies back so we can get some players back in their proper roles. No reason Savard should be on the ice for 25 minutes. We need to monitor some of the minutes of a few of our younger guys as well.

Seriously though - Kane beating us? He has a lot of skill; but that was embarrassing.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Not sure where you are going with this. His career is 20 games. Not a lot of history to support an identity. We hung out McKenna last night. Nothing really he could do on the first two goals. The third was a laser in a great spot.

We let Kane beat us. Shame on us.

Yes his career is only 20 games, but my point is there's a reason he's only had 20 NHL games. His identity is an AHL goaltender or a serviceable NHL goalie on a call-up basis, all there is to it, nice as he may be. He'll be good enough until McElhinney gets back, but we're going to have to score more. I thought our defense was decent last night all things considered, we did the best we could with 4D for a good portion of play.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Seriously though - Kane beating us? He has a lot of skill; but that was embarrassing.
Just for the record, according to Portzline (I also had a feeling this was the case from Sec 204, right above the blueline):
Replays show the (1st) #NHLJets goal should not have counted. Puck left the zone - by a good eight inches - just seconds before Scheifele scored.

All in all, this should have been a 3-2 win for the Jackets, ugly as it was. That officiating crew last night was an embarassment to the game of hockey. Fans of the NHL, regardless of city, deserve better than that.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Other than the Foligno fight:yo:a pretty dull affair until the 3rd.

I'm in the injuries do matter camp. Gaborik and Wiz aren't pieces a light scoring team can replace. McBackup #2 isn't the second coming either.

I must be RJUs good luck charm. I've been to Nationwide 6 times this season and he's scored three times. :laugh:

Even the office staff had a tough go of it. No programs were distributed due to those printed having the Minnesota Wild on the inside line up pages.

Oh hell yeah injuries matter. Gaborik and Wiz absolutely should increase our offensive output over time (lets not judge that based on their first few games back like we always do on HFB). We went 1 - 7 on the PP vs STL, either or both of those guys could have very well moved that stat north.

A healthy Bob could have won the last two games in regulation.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yes his career is only 20 games, but my point is there's a reason he's only had 20 NHL games.

I still have no idea where you are going with this. He's been fine in his three outings. Not spectacular, but well enough to win. He is not the reason we've lost.

I don't think it's preordained he will suck or be some 3 GAA goalie. I'm looking at his current play. I don't see a starting goal tender, but I don't see what you are saying either.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
All of these if's and shoulda,coulda,woulda's are ridiculous. We would have won if we outscored them. Period.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
All of these if's and shoulda,coulda,woulda's are ridiculous. We would have won if we outscored them. Period.

Thanks for that thought provoking analysis. Usually when me or one my friends says something like the above, we get the standard "Thanks, Captain Obvious" ridicule.

No kidding the score indicates the winner? You got us there. I don't think anyone else came up with that conclusion. I mean, score more goals than the other team? Who woulda thunk dat wus da reesun? I am sure media outlets around the world would love your post game articles. "We scored less goals, so we lost". I will say, it gives an amazing amount of context for the reader.

Now would you like to talk about the game or just make fun of the post game analysis?

And... "period"? Really?

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

"Welcome back Nationwide Arena for tonight's post-game show, following a 3-2 Jackets loss to the Winnipeg Jets tonight. I'm Bob McElligott. The Jackets scored fewer goals than the Jets tonight, thus meaning they lose the game. This has been a production of the COLHOC Limited Partnership."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad