Post-Game Talk: Game 34: Anaheim Ducks vs Las Vegas Golden Knights, 7pm PT, BSSC (Ducks win 5-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Makes you wonder, if we can stay fully healthy or at least get Leo back in a few weeks, maybe this team could go on a run. I thought they played their last two games very well.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Makes you wonder, if we can stay fully healthy or at least get Leo back in a few weeks, maybe this team could go on a run. I thought they played their last two games very well.
I just want to end the season with a .500 record. Think that will be great for confidence next year.

Seeing smiling Gibby ❤️ Very different vibe from past years.

When Lundy comes back soon – who comes out if no more injuries occur?
I don’t think we have to worry about that on this team

• Haha
Reactions: Kalv

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just want to end the season with a .500 record. Think that will be great for confidence next year.

I don’t think we have to worry about that on this team

If we didn't have the injuries, slow start from players, and the game management plan with a revolving door of 1C's on the top line, we would be there. On paper this team is capable of being there, I just feel that 8 game losing streak put them into a hole that's going to be very hard to climb out of this season.

They would need to go on a serious tear. Like a 8-2 record in the next 10 games. That still doesn't put them at .500 but it makes it reachable.

Really want to see this team with Z, Mac, and Leo all healthy, Got maybe 8 games of that? It's going to push depth down the line-up.

Reactions: lwvs84

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
We had EN opportunities and then a PP. Leason should’ve been fed the puck and on the ice for like the last 5 minutes of the game. He’s likely never to get the opportunity to get a hat trick again, so as a coach you have to play to that given the year we’re going to have and score of the game. Tried to quote you @Rybread86, but this forum is booty on mobile.

I understand I’m probably irrationally upset at this, but you gotta do it for your guy if you want the players to buy in.
Cronin cares more about winning than giving Gleason a hat trick. It's a Business

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

A .500 record is 41-41-0, or 81 points. We are 13-21-0 (26 points), which is 0.382 record. Last year, we finished with the worst record in the league at 23-42-12 (58 points), which was a 0.354 record. Going to .500 might be a huge leap

With so many rookies, practically a new blueline, so many injuries, two youths missing training camp due to contract situations, and two youths on load management, the roller coaster season we're having is kinda expected.

For great confidence going into next season, I want to see a more consistent product at ES that has some structure. At the moment, our ES production is akin to our PP production - reliant on individual talent to produce rather than having a system that produces.

We are only 5 points better than last year's team after 34 games. Last year's team had a PP and PK ranked 31st overall, but this year's PP and PK units are ranked 15th overall. Anaheim has a far more talented team this year than last, but its record is being propped up by the special teams. That's the scary part.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
The one thing I'm still not seeing is any progress on breaking out of the zone. I'm fine with the man defense in the D-zone, but perhaps it leaves players in tough positions to be able to retrieve pucks and make connected breakout passes. I felt the team did this fairly well the first couple weeks of the season, but have lately resorted to Carlyle-esque flips out of the zone on most shifts.

Breakouts are huge and the Ducks aren't good at them. If I see improvement in that area over the remainder of the season, it will go a long way toward convincing me that Cronin can actually coach.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If we didn't have the injuries, slow start from players, and the game management plan with a revolving door of 1C's on the top line, we would be there. On paper this team is capable of being there, I just feel that 8 game losing streak put them into a hole that's going to be very hard to climb out of this season.

They would need to go on a serious tear. Like a 8-2 record in the next 10 games. That still doesn't put them at .500 but it makes it reachable.

Really want to see this team with Z, Mac, and Leo all healthy, Got maybe 8 games of that? It's going to push depth down the line-up.

I think Carlsson's injury could be a blessing in disguise. Cronin doesn't have to worry about rotating 1C's between Carlsson and Z. Also, Z now gets to play consistently at 1C for the next six weeks. Since Z's return to the ice, he's got 2 points (1g + 1a) in two games.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The one thing I'm still not seeing is any progress on breaking out of the zone. I'm fine with the man defense in the D-zone, but perhaps it leaves players in tough positions to be able to retrieve pucks and make connected breakout passes. I felt the team did this fairly well the first couple weeks of the season, but have lately resorted to Carlyle-esque flips out of the zone on most shifts.

Breakouts are huge and the Ducks aren't good at them. If I see improvement in that area over the remainder of the season, it will go a long way toward convincing me that Cronin can actually coach.

I feel like our forwards aren't helping the puck retriever in being a passing option, especially when our d-men win the pucks. Some just stand still and others are cheating by flying the nest early. Cronin said he liked Drysdale's breakout b/c he's carrying the puck out. Great, that just means Cronin's relying on individual effort than installing a system to where the forwards need to be cognizant of being a good passing option to breakout of our zone.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Carlsson's injury could be a blessing in disguise. Cronin doesn't have to worry about rotating 1C's between Carlsson and Z. Also, Z now gets to play consistently at 1C for the next six weeks. Since Z's return to the ice, he's got 2 points (1g + 1a) in two games.

Probably will be another 3-4 weeks from now. Don't see him being out the full 6 weeks. Plus, the load management might not be a thing anymore when he gets back. Can finally get some chemistry going.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Probably will be another 3-4 weeks from now. Don't see him being out the full 6 weeks. Plus, the load management might not be a thing anymore when he gets back. Can finally get some chemistry going.

I'm not in any hurry to rush Carlsson. In fact, I'd like him to be on the Luneau schedule to build up his legs, especially since he incurred a leg injury. We know what we got in Carlsson at the NHL level. We got a great baseline. I want Carlsson long term than create a situation to where he's made out of glass just because we want him on the ice sooner.

Reactions: Wheatens

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not in any hurry to rush Carlsson. In fact, I'd like him to be on the Luneau schedule to build up his legs, especially since he incurred a leg injury. We know what we got in Carlsson at the NHL level. We got a great baseline. I want Carlsson long term than create a situation to where he's made out of glass just because we want him on the ice sooner.

Who said anything about rushing him back? I said I just don't think it will take the full 6 weeks time-line, given the severity of the sprain. When the player is ready he'll return.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I don't know that my TV remote would've survived that bad of officiating had we not jumped to a 4-0 lead early. That was some kind of shit.
I only watch the games to hear the utter disgust in Hazy's voice everytime Ducks get jobbed by zebras

Welcome to all professional sports
NHL "game management" bullshit is bad enough, but i'm pretty sure like 85% of all officials in pro sports are in pockets of bookies/vegas ... *allegedly*

They get paid so little for a shit job where they get yelled at by literally everyone from the players to coaches to fans, they would be stupid not to be getting money under table to push point spreads and fix games. It was already proven that several NBA refs were fixing games. And if they aren't fixing games, then there is no logical explanation as to why Angel Hernandez still has a job ...

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
not really. outside of his assists he was pretty terrible

Good offensively and along the boards, but needs works defensively and got extremely lucky on Leason's 2nd goal off of his rebound shot. Mac missed his chance to change and was out on the ice for what seems an additional 40-50 seconds. He was slow backchecking and fortunately lunged to break up a pass through the middle. Then he got the puck puck and instead of dumping the puck in, Mac launched a rocket along the walls that created a rebound chance for Leason. If the rebound was directed to a VGK player, then there's no way Mac had the energy to backcheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca