GDT: Game 33: Jackets at Buffalo Sabres | 19 Dec 2023, 7 pm ET

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Some of the insiders in Edmonton are saying they have a big goalie trade to be announced after the holiday roster freeze is over. Some folks on the Oilers boards have speculated that it is Merzlikins.
Given that every single comment I've seen on such a move involves starting with us taking back Campbell, I'll believe it when I see it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Which team would take him without retention
Edmonton ? Who else

More likely Jack Campbell ++ for Merzlikins and we buyout Campbell.

This is the kind of game that leads to Granato being fired.

I can't remember who exactly, maybe our owners? Priest? But it was noted in an interview that higher ups took notice when the Jackets were drubbed 9-4 last year, in the Tage Thompson 5 goal game.

This year we did it to them.

Reactions: ViD and NotWendell

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Which team would take him without retention
Edmonton ? Who else
Who says the Bluejackets wouldn't be willing to retain salary? There's also always a possibility of eating cap via taking back other contracts. Many options.
I'm just telling you that Friedman was wondering if maybe Merzlikins wants to be somewhere else and if the Bluejackets might be willing to trade him. Again, doesn't mean it's gonna happen and he didn't mention any teams either but he's not the type of guy to make stuff up so he must have got something.

And again, for as long as a Merzlikins deal isn't 100% off the table I just don't think the Bluejackets are ready to waive Tarasov.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Tarasov needs to get back in shape.
Marchenko is growing from game to game. Similar like Johnson, btw, he has I proved his play at the boards. I am glad Sillinger scored.
Overall not bad, but it should not be forgotten that Levi and Luukkonen were tragic, even a pensioner would score a goal.

Reactions: Napoli

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Again, doesn't mean it's gonna happen and he didn't mention any teams either but he's not the type of guy to make stuff up so he must have got something.
Eh

Feels like all that guy does is speculate nowadays.

Hope they do trade Elvis, that contract is horrible.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Campbell? He's not a bad goalie, maybe a change of scenery would help him. If Elvis wants to leave, it would be better to trade him. Still Roslovic, Bemstrom and Peeke.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There’s not a chance Edmonton can carry Campbell& Merz. That would be a total disaster for them

They are right at the cap and will have to deal with over 3M bonuses next season

Reality and cap
There are plenty of other options for Campbell. It's just a question of how much the Oil is willing to retain or pay.

The most logical destination would be Chicago. Has shitloads of cap space and the player is a franchise hero.

Also, Campbell can submit a 10 team no trade list and I think there's a chance Columbus could be on it. Surely, Chicago isn't.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Campbell? He's not a bad goalie, maybe a change of scenery would help him. If Elvis wants to leave, it would be better to trade him. Still Roslovic, Bemstrom and Peeke.

At the end of his Leafs tenure he was one of the worst goalies in the league, he’s been waived by Edmonton and had a lot of rough games in the AHL. That’s one of the worst contracts in the league

There are plenty of other options for Campbell. It's just a question of how much the Oil is willing to retain or pay.

The most logical destination would be Chicago. Has shitloads of cap space and the player is a franchise hero.

Also, Campbell can submit a 10 team no trade list and I think there's a chance Columbus could be on it. Surely, Chicago isn't.

Plenty? For the worst contract in the league….
How about none

I doubt Edmonton will be willing to pay the price to get rid of him and why would he waive for Chicago?

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
If Tarasov isn’t playing good hockey a month from now , I’ll start to be concerned .. as it stands he had no camp, he’s coming off an injury , and had what 3 starts in Cleveland, and now 2 in Columbus ?
It seems he needs to work on that lateral movement, because those cross-ice one-timers have been eating him alive.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If Tarasov isn’t playing good hockey a month from now , I’ll start to be concerned .. as it stands he had no camp, he’s coming off an injury , and had what 3 starts in Cleveland, and now 2 in Columbus ?
I agree we should be practicing patience on this front (as with many others, but...). That said, the concern is not only his injury history but his past play, which has never screamed "this guy's gonna be a clear-cut #1 for us". So I'll be tempering my patience with some apprehension.

Reactions: majormajor

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
It seems he needs to work on that lateral movement, because those cross-ice one-timers have been eating him alive.
All depending on hips. NO way he isnt a bit tentative and sore. Dont think there's a higher pressure job in sports and he needs to get in a groove where its again done instinctively. Id say let him work it out.

Reactions: Hinterland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad