GDT: Game 33: Columbus vs. Boston | 12/27 7PM

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
Interesting game. Agree with most of the sentiment here, Jackets just weren't making the simple, smart plays for 50 minutes of that game. Neutral zone play (or lack thereof) was a sight to behold. But good teams just win, baby.

I think we'll see other teams taking notes on how Boston's PK played us tonight. Sure we still got a PPG, but they were really adamant about making Foligno play from behind the net instead of the endline. Made it really difficult for us to get him the puck. I'd say about 40% of our PP success has come from that 10-->71--->13 passing play and teams are going to start taking it away whenever possible. Luckily for us we still have this Werenski kid back there who knows a thing or two about running the unit :naughty:

This is what's so fun about our first power play. It's a pick your poison scenario. If you collapse on Wennberg and Foligno then Werenski will have space to pick you apart. If you collapse on him then Wennberg and Foligno are open. And all the while you get the goalie moving side to side and there's Cam and Sam ready to bury their chance in a half open net. Also, I think a lot of teams would take Seth Jones and Brandon Saad on their first unit every time and we're playing them on the second unit.

Boston is 18-15-4. Hard to believe they are only 3 games above .500.

and if you want to get real stickler about it they're 18-19, below "Bettman 500". I think they're just a bad matchup for us. That team is scarier to me the way they're built and matchup against us than Pittsburgh is.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
That team is scarier to me the way they're built and matchup against us than Pittsburgh is.

I agree. After the third goal, I remarked that there is NO WAY this a safe lead. That team just matches up with us better than others.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
"Burn it"

Take that W, and prepare for WIN/MIN. I think a road trip is what this team needs right now.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I just rewatched that GWG and that play Wennberg made near the corner was just absolutely spectacular. The patience and on ice presence to know he could drift backwards into the boards and draw both defenders towards him opening up Foligno was just absolutely fantastic. He really just keeps getting better and better as his confidence grows.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I just rewatched that GWG and that play Wennberg made near the corner was just absolutely spectacular. The patience and on ice presence to know he could drift backwards into the boards and draw both defenders towards him opening up Foligno was just absolutely fantastic. He really just keeps getting better and better as his confidence grows.

Agreed

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Interesting game. Agree with most of the sentiment here, Jackets just weren't making the simple, smart plays for 50 minutes of that game. Neutral zone play (or lack thereof) was a sight to behold. But good teams just win, baby.

I think we'll see other teams taking notes on how Boston's PK played us tonight. Sure we still got a PPG, but they were really adamant about making Foligno play from behind the net instead of the endline. Made it really difficult for us to get him the puck. I'd say about 40% of our PP success has come from that 10-->71--->13 passing play and teams are going to start taking it away whenever possible. Luckily for us we still have this Werenski kid back there who knows a thing or two about running the unit :naughty:

I was overall pleased with the PP as I think we found our play versitile enough to be successful. While credited with only one PP goal, the Seth Jones goal was really a continuation of the power play which had ended only seconds earlier.

slacketbacker

Oct 25, 2005
USA
I was at the game and it was another "Jewish Heritage Night with the CBJ". Has anyone seen this where they light the Menorah, do a little chant, etc.? It all happens around the 10 minute mark of the 1st period. Its interesting . . . it brings a little multi cultural feel to the game which is cool for the Jackets and with me. (but odd nonetheless)

Anyway, last night was weird because we were up 3-0 and they start the Menorah thing during the commercial break. They give the mic to a local Rabbi who is very excited and he yells: "We are here to celebrate Chanukah and the 13th Consecutive Blue Jacket Win!" -- It was fun because the Rabbi was so animated, but then my section started saying: "Wait, did the Rabbi just Jinx us??"

Needless to say, after the Menorah break, Boston scores 2 quick goals. The Jinx seemed to be kicking in.

Thankfully, we won 4-3! I was honestly worried about some serious anti semitic stuff going on if they didn't win. It got really weird in my section with the Rabbi calling the win before it was over. Of course, my section seems to have lot of Blue Jackets faithful who have believed in the "Penitentiary Jinx" for the last 16 years.

What a wild ride, here's hoping for a 14th win on Thursday without any Jinx!

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
These are the people who skipped Jesus of Nazareth in the 0' draft so I would not be so certain that they could predict the future this time either.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That Rabbi was awesome. So animated and fun. Glad we pulled out the W so he wasn't the jinx.

Also, forgot to mention. I was at the game wearing my Jenner jersey with my brand new Seth Jones T-shirt jersey (or shirsey. Whichever you want to call it) underneath and when Hartnell was behind the net and Jones pinched I new it was going in the net. Had such a great view of the play from my seat.

New Jones shirsey is lucky charm for Jones.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Jody Shelly was between the benches. He commented that Boston coach Jullian complained about Karlsson going down too easy on the cross-check. I rewatched and thought it was a correct call. The CBJ have drawn the fewest penalties in the league, so it's not like they have a habit of diving.

Can you imagine what would happen if the CBJ get a league average number of PP opportunities?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Didn't mind the whole rabbi thing but after the stuff he yelled I turned to my buddy at the game and said "dude totally just jinxed us" .. sure enough, two quick goals and another in the second. Had me shaking my head hard - LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad