GDT: Game 33: Columbus at Vancouver | 3/26 10:00 PM EDT

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
My goodness these fan cam segments are terribly awkward.

Essential for us to get 2 wins in EDM and CGY later in the week. Only going to be so many chances to take points from teams lower than us in the standings. The remaining schedule isn't a walk in the park in terms of opponent after these next two.

Sedinery2011

Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, BC
That was quite a game. An exciting display of team defense and goal tending. :sarcasm: I think I'd rather loose in a 5-0 blowout than win like that. At least we would get to see some goals :laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You guys get the dead puck reffing crew every night? Wowee.

Dead puck era? You mean dump and chase and watch as you guys skate around our forwards and have wide open chances in front that our goalie saved? Stop *****ing, you won, the reffing was fine. Bye

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Didn't stay up. From Porty's write-up and a few of the comments here sounds like it was like almost every game of the last month. Somehow we got a Boint (that's a point solely attributable to Bob),Calvert lost the puck in the SO & I would have fallen asleep watching it.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Which is appropriate since the USA tied Mexico 0-0. Don't watch soccer, just saw that score on this same night and laughed.

Which is as good as a win in Azteca, for team USA.

We seem to have a knack for collapsing around Bob and preventing quality scoring chances. Thats handy, because on the other end, we had maybe 3 good chances. Foligno had the game on his stick, but a defenseman made a beauty of a kick save and saved Scheider's bacon.

Take the point, forget this game and gear up for EDM. Going by Blah's estimation, we need to win the next 2 to go 2-1-1 on this road trip.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Our lack of skill was glaring last night. I will say that our guys absolutely work their butts off, especially in the third period and had it not been for Hamhuis' kick save (...and a beauty) on Foligno, we'd be talking about how the Jackets stole two points in the 'Couv.

As for the shootout, I'm really beginning to hate them, it's really a shame that they can't think of a better way to decide an outcome. What's wrong with a tie? I think they should go 4 vs. 4 for 5 minutes and if it's still tied 3 vs. 3 for 5 minutes. If it's tied, both get a point in the standings. Vancouver didn't deserve two points last night anymore than the Jackets.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Here comes my negative rant for the day...... Another game where Bob steals us another point, yeah its great to be competitive, but is this team really as good as our record, or is the hot goalie making us better than we really are. With 3 first round picks this year, this is now one more point we are now away from probably landing a Mackinnon, or Drouin. Just frustrated, because the jackets have done this year after year, you look back at past drafts, and one victory cost us from getting an elite player, and we pick 6th . The only way this team makes a quick rebuild is if we get elite offensive players that are ready for the Nhl right away, or within a year. As we can see, our defense, and goalie play, are where they need to be. We just have no offensive players. I'm still not over the fact that we let Galchenyuk slip thru our fingers. I guess what I'm saying, is I wish the jackets wouldnt be their own worst enemy. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we can use a John Moore, or Erixon as bait to move up from a 6 to a 2 or 3, just wish we wouldnt have to do that.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Here comes my negative rant for the day...... Another game where Bob steals us another point, yeah its great to be competitive, but is this team really as good as our record, or is the hot goalie making us better than we really are. With 3 first round picks this year, this is now one more point we are now away from probably landing a Mackinnon, or Drouin. Just frustrated, because the jackets have done this year after year, you look back at past drafts, and one victory cost us from getting an elite player, and we pick 6th . The only way this team makes a quick rebuild is if we get elite offensive players that are ready for the Nhl right away, or within a year. As we can see, our defense, and goalie play, are where they need to be. We just have no offensive players. I'm still not over the fact that we let Galchenyuk slip thru our fingers. I guess what I'm saying, is I wish the jackets wouldnt be their own worst enemy. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we can use a John Moore, or Erixon as bait to move up from a 6 to a 2 or 3, just wish we wouldnt have to do that.

Same rant as many others have had. Nothing new.

What I said before and I will say it again, there is more than one path to winning. We don't have to have a top 2 or 3 pick to win, Nash didn't get us any closer. I'd argue that we are closer to winning without Nash. Edmonton is stock piling them and hasn't shown anything yet. Who knows how the Islander are going to finish this year with Taveres, but they aren't on the path to be the next Pens.

We pretend that just because we get a potential, elite, player in the draft it is going to make a difference. We also pretend that if we don't get one we will never be a good team. Both are false.

To be honest, I would rather have Bob develop into an elite goal tender for the next decade or more than worry about a top 5 pick in this draft. Bob is doing what he needs to do to help us win, but let's not pretend that we aren't helping him. In the game against Nashville, when we let up, they scored a quick two on him. If we aren't playing well in front of him, he will give up goals.

There is not doubt that we need some help on the offensive side of things, but we also have a few prospects coming up that might be able to help in that respect. Probably no PPG players, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of 60+ point scorers develop.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh

What I said before and I will say it again, there is more than one path to winning. We don't have to have a top 2 or 3 pick to win, Nash didn't get us any closer. I'd argue that we are closer to winning without Nash. Edmonton is stock piling them and hasn't shown anything yet. Who knows how the Islander are going to finish this year with Taveres, but they aren't on the path to be the next Pens.

We pretend that just because we get a potential, elite, player in the draft it is going to make a difference. We also pretend that if we don't get one we will never be a good team. Both are false.

To be honest, I would rather have Bob develop into an elite goal tender for the next decade or more than worry about a top 5 pick in this draft. Bob is doing what he needs to do to help us win, but let's not pretend that we aren't helping him. In the game against Nashville, when we let up, they scored a quick two on him. If we aren't playing well in front of him, he will give up goals.

There is not doubt that we need some help on the offensive side of things, but we also have a few prospects coming up that might be able to help in that respect. Probably no PPG players, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of 60+ point scorers develop.

For true. I don't think this team was ever going to be the worst team in the NHL and I didn't expect them to be coming into the season. To expect them to get the number one pick is just unrealistic. Also, the current players aren't going to tank on purpose. They've said as much and they're not bad enough to try to win and still lose. People need to let go of the idea that we were ever going to have one of the top 3 in the draft.

And to follow the Penguins model is also unrealistic. The Pittsburgh Penguins (and pittsburgh in general when it comes to sports) are just about the luckiest franchise in sports. Competitive and near the top of the league almost every year, then they're terrible just briefly enough to land Crosby and Malkin. They go through a couple of down years and replace arguably the best player ever (Mario) with the best #1 pick of the last 25 years (Crosby). Malkin falls into their lap the next year and turns out to be great without any of the stereotypical traits associated with Russian players. Every trade and every risky draft pick always seems to work out for them. The only one I can think of that didn't was Angelo Esposito. Horseshoes rain on that city where as we get coal.

Who knows, maybe we finish 9th or 10th and all of our pent up bad draft lottery luck will finally turn around and we end up with the #1 pick anyways.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I guess you could say that a win's a win, but a loss is a win too.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Who knows, maybe we finish 9th or 10th and all of our pent up bad draft lottery luck will finally turn around and we end up with the #1 pick anyways.

Even during our streak, I never thought we would make the playoffs. It would be nice to get a top 10 pick or get real lucky and win the lottery. We are kind of due for some luck on the draft floor.

Ultimately a 5-10 pick can draft you a great player. Unfortunately it rarely is a good as a top two pick, but what are you going to do? This draft is supposed to be very deep, I guess we'll be testing that out.

But back to my point and as it translates to this game and season, if Bob really is becoming an elite goal tender we've already won. A couple of future top six players out of this draft would just be icing on the cake.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Quite frankly, this team owes it to the fans to play hard and stay in the race. I don't mean these players, but the organization. Look at attendance for weekday games. Yea, it still sucks, but when they got into the streak attendance jumped about 3,000+ per game. Better on weekends. People started paying attention.

No one outside of us die-hards were worrying about draft picks. Future draft picks don't attract fans, wins do.

I think we have a very solid core of hard working D-men, and role players. I don't think we need to plug that many more pieces in to become contenders. The issue is that those pieces are not easy to come by. I say keep playing to win, and let JD, and JK figure out how to get us what we need for the future once the season is over, and we are where ever we end up.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Blah, I hear you, and you make some valid points. I think in Edmontons case they have the polar opposite, no defense, goalie play. And unfortunately, in todays nhl, where goal scoring is at a premium, you can win this way, not saying its pretty, but you can win just playing good defense. We definately are building the right way, from the defense out, I just remember Mason doing this same thing years ago, and when he was no longer the magical goalie, we went back to sucking. Now, I do think we have a much better defenseman then we ever had, especially with the way Prout, Moore, and Erixon are playing, as well as Murray still being out there. What prospects do you feel coming out could help ? I know of Boone Jenner, bur other than that, our cupboard is pretty devoid of offensive talent. I just look at it, lets take this team, and add a Mckinnon, now all a sudden you have most likely a 20 to 25goal scorer in his first season, and Anisimov, and Prospal probably arent you leading scorer. Assuming we draft around 6th, what is that traditionally, a 2 year wait before they are ready for the Nhl game. I'm not sayig that we cant get a good player at the 6, but history has shown that you have a much better shot as a sure fire superstar in that 1 to 2 pick range.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Ultimately a 5-10 pick can draft you a great player. Unfortunately it rarely is a good as a top two pick, but what are you going to do? This draft is supposed to be very deep, I guess we'll be testing that out.

Yep, Remember the last time there was a "Deep Draft" the Jackets picked 4th.

Would have loved to have picks 17, 19, 23, 24, or 29 that year instead of #4, and those are just the picks outside the top 15...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NHL_Entry_Draft

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Problem with picks 4-8 are you feel a need to take the Filatovs and Zherdevs. The "these guys got passed over but I would feel dumb passing them up and later having them do well."

The guys with huge upside but huge questionmarks. Not huge upside and few questionmarks, not lower upside and few questionmarks.

Hopefully we can trade into the top 4 and get a chance to draft Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov.

Depends on how JK feels about Barkov, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, etc.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Even during our streak, I never thought we would make the playoffs. It would be nice to get a top 10 pick or get real lucky and win the lottery. We are kind of due for some luck on the draft floor.

But back to my point and as it translates to this game and season, if Bob really is becoming an elite goal tender we've already won. A couple of future top six players out of this draft would just be icing on the cake.

Amen! The draft, in theory, is designed to give the worst teams the best chance to improve. Not being among the worst teams, the CBJ (again, theoretically) needs less help to get better. Whether improvement comes through the draft, free agent signing, or internal system development, the goal is to need the help of high draft choices less and less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad