GDT: Game 32: Avs vs Leafs | 7 PM MT | December 22, 2016 | Rebuild a Thousand Years Long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
The Avs don't have Zach Werenski or Seth Jones.

The fact that Ryan Murray is playing on the 3rd pairing is sad given our pathetic state of defence.

Neither did the Jackets not too long ago. Which is what I was getting at. Hard to acquire those players. The Jackets paid a steep price to acquire Jones. What would Avs fans be willing to give up to acquire the needed defensive help?

Would you be willing to move a Duchene or MacKinnon? That is likely the asking price for a premium young dman.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Neither did the Jackets too long ago. Which is what I was getting at. Hard to acquire those players. The Jackets paid a steep price to acquire Jones. What would Avs fans be willing to give up to acquire the needed defensive help?

Well, the problem is there's already a long-term commitment to players like Erik Johnson and Tyson Barrie on the back-end, with Nikita Zadorov and Chris Bigras coming up on the left side.

I'd happily move Johnson and Barrie because I don't believe a team can win with them as your best two defensemen, but for what I do not know.

There also doesn't seem to be anything out there 1-for-1 wise that could benefit this team if we're to move a Duchene or a MacKinnon.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Neither did the Jackets not too long ago. Which is what I was getting at. Hard to acquire those players. The Jackets paid a steep price to acquire Jones. What would Avs fans be willing to give up to acquire the needed defensive help?

Would you be willing to move a Duchene or MacKinnon? That is likely the asking price for a premium young dman.

For the right piece, I would absolutely move Duchene.

I would not trade Mac because it would be robbing peter to pay paul but in general aside from Landy (two -way forward we don't have otherwise), Mac and Rantanen, everyone is fair game in the right trade scenario.

But there are not many realistic trade options out there that could benefit us in the longrun.

If Carolina wants to trade Hanifin for Duchene than you do it.
But they don't.

The Jackets have been as bad or worse than the Avs until Jones and Werenski completely solidified their backend. Now they look like world beaters.

Avs have to finally focus on fixing that defense. If that means three consecutive 1sts on D or trading Duchene than ok.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs problems aren't just defense. Few years ago it was only defense because they had very good forward group, mainly the top 6 was among the best in the NHL, and Varly in net, all they needed is better defense. unfortunately Sakic managed to destroy that top 6 while failing to improve the defense. And that is why this team is where it is.

They now not only still need defense, but they need forwards too. This is just a very poorly constructed team right now.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
At this moment the Avs need everything. Quite the turnaround, went from a stacked offense but a weak defense to a weak everything. Well played Sakic.

The roster is not good in anything except being the worst team in the league.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
We are what, 32 games in, "earned" 23 points and are -40 in goals difference (GF 65, GA 105) which is worst in the league.

In general, we lack talent. But who cares. I believe that there's some movie called Miracle, which tells the story of a not too talented team taking on the big bad skilled bla bla red guys. Yes it's scripted and the NHL is not (I believe in Bettman lol), but the thing is:

Outworking your opponent and being physical can get results too. Or at least appreciation and goodwill. I'm not saying broadstreet bullies-physical by the way. But step up and hit a guy.
So yeah, I'm not sure Sakic is (the only one) to blame the lack of hard work in this team. Bednar's system is apparently not working (yet) and I know this is a waste year. But that doesn't mean we should go out without a fight or two. That's on Bednar's plate.

This team is filled with Bodnarchucks (remember this gem?). And as long as Bednar won't be able to motivate, it's even worse: Bednarchucks.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
We saw something like you described with Hejduk. If a situation were to arise where Landeskog wants to give his away as well, it's okay but how do you take the C away and keep him around? San Jose got away with it cause they're good.

Well, I guess that Landeskog has had several talks to Avs management about his role and we will see what happens.

He is not the kind of guy quitting, he is a true fighter, but in the same way he wants the best for his team.

Lando may not see it the way I do (most probably not) ;-) but I strongly believe his captaincy is having a negative impact on his play at this stage of his career.

I believe he is the kind of guy who both takes and also feels a huge responsibility on his shoulders which is a good thing but he became a captain way too early. Let Landeskog focus on playing, releasing the weight on his shoulders.

It's strange writing this because I feel he is the best talent for becoming a great NHL captain Sweden ever have had but this is the way I feel.

Last edited:

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Avs problems aren't just defense. Few years ago it was only defense because they had very good forward group, mainly the top 6 was among the best in the NHL, and Varly in net, all they needed is better defense. unfortunately Sakic managed to destroy that top 6 while failing to improve the defense. And that is why this team is where it is.

They now not only still need defense, but they need forwards too. This is just a very poorly constructed team right now.

They may need help in a lot of areas, but if they're about to hit the reset button they need to build it from the back end this time. They can't be afraid to spend a high pick on a BPA defenseman (not named Siemens) for once. They've insisted on doing the opposite ever since Dutchy was drafted, and, well...

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Well, I guess that Landeskog has had several talks to Avs management about his role and we will see what happens.

He is not the kind of guy quitting, he is a true fighter, but in the same way he wants the best for his team.

Lando may not see it the way I do (most probably not) ;-) but I strongly believe his captaincy is having a negative impact on his play at this stage of his career.

I believe he is the kind of guy who both takes and also feels a huge responsibility on his shoulders which is a good thing but he became a captain way too early. Let Landeskog focus on playing, releasing the weight on his shoulders.

It's strange writing this because I feel he is the best talent for becoming a great NHL captain Sweden ever have had but this is the way I feel.

Care to elaborate on this?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Care to elaborate on this?

1. Team need major changes, apparently it didn't work out with Landeskog being the captain?
2. I believe Landeskog would become a better player if not being a captain at this stage of his career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad