GDT: Game 32: Avs vs Leafs | 7 PM MT | December 22, 2016 | Rebuild a Thousand Years Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Tl0P7JR.jpg

Y1PWjnG.jpg

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Thread title is accurate, going back to 2008 I was sure the team would have turned it around and been a league power by now.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
This isn't to sound hostile but more serious question, what about what they were doing in 2008 lead you to believe they were on the right path?

Not so much the right path, but the right path in the face that the team was atrocious without Sakic. Raycroft-Budaj tandem was the worst in the league. Players like Smyth - Hannan - Hejduk - Tucker - Laperreire had played their best hockey and we're starting to age, it was essentially the sign of the rebuild coming.

Granted with Stastny- Stewart- Wolski- Galiardi coming up I thought there were some building pieces there that would accelerate the rebuild maybe have it last maybe 2-3 years.

Duchene has played 8 seasons with us and we're still at the bottom, I just assumed things would have gotten better by now. We're definitely the Hawks of the early 2000's, problem is I don't see us making a push anytime soon either.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
The Leafs are going to puck a lot of rubber on net once again but man is their shooting game deceptive. On paper one would think that how did they not win but once you see the games it becomes crystal clear, they shoot weak hopeless shots every chance they get.

Still that is much better than the Avs strategy of not shooting at all. Maybe the puck just magically goes into the net itself :laugh:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The Leafs are going to puck a lot of rubber on net once again but man is their shooting game deceptive. On paper one would think that how did they not win but once you see the games it becomes crystal clear, they shoot weak hopeless shots every chance they get.

Babcock's line-up selection is to blame here imo. The guy tries to roll 4 lines so he'll put Nylander on the 4th or Kadri on the 3rd which then sometimes becomes the 1st....the problem is that guys like Nylander/Kadri/Marner are generating chances and rebounds for mediocre players on their line that can't bury those chances. So that's why their conversion rate is so low imo, I'm a Leafs fan second and it really frustrates me to watch the Avs lose with a bad corsi and then tune in to see the Leafs lose with a good corsi because they have 3rd and 4th liners wasting chances and because their setup strategy is impatience. They'll wildly throw it on net without trying to move the puck laterally as much as other teams do. Oh and they have generally little net presence as we saw in the last game against us though our dmen did a great job that game of beating up on any Leafs player around the net.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Leafs fire a ton of pucks on net without the requisite bodies to go to the net, save for a couple.

Unless they build a team like the 2012 L.A. Kings, these attempts will be futile. Shoot all you want, they won't matter

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Leafs fire a ton of pucks on net without the requisite bodies to go to the net, save for a couple.

Unless they build a team like the 2012 L.A. Kings, these attempts will be futile. Shoot all you want, they won't matter

Corsi is all that really matters. :nod:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I simply want to hear the AVs in-house entertainment folks play "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" whenever the refs call a penalty on the AVs tonight.

A win would be welcomed but I don't want to ask for too much.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I simply want to hear the AVs in-house entertainment folks play "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" whenever the refs call a penalty on the AVs tonight.

A win would be welcomed but I don't want to ask for too much.

The Avs in-house entertainment folks suck. They seemingly play the same stuff over and over again at games.

I thoroughly enjoy the Dallas guys

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Oh wow. I guess I understand as coaches are desperate to get wins. Won't matter much as the half of the team has mentally checked out weeks ago. Now its just play a game, maybe score a goal, try not to get hurt, wait what happens at the trade deadline and of course get paid.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
5.99 is an overpayment for something about this team

> looks at credit card bill, sees NHL TV, weeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad