GDT: Game 31: Red Wings vs ducks 7:00 pm et 12/18/23 (ESPN+, BSD+)

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021

Why do people want more icetime for Seider? Game after game he is at the bottom. Him and Walman are by far the worst pairing defensively.

• Wow
Reactions: MiddleEarth

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Lucas Raymond absolutely needs to be on the first powerplay unit, especially when its a 6 on 4 late in a game when we are down by 1.

There are no possible arguments to be made against it, yet Lalonde had his ass on the bench. I wish a reporter would ask hm about this, but they won't.

Raymond has been one of our most consistent players this season by far, yet Lalonde still won't play him....why?
1702955451754.png

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm sorry, but these charts of fancy stats are pretty stupid. If you actually watch the games, you would understand.
Simple 'eye test' says it all...This team isn't playing up to their ability...Regardless of the fact that there's still 51 games left this season - we're not likely going to see playoff hockey come 2024 for the Red Wings.

Lucas Raymond absolutely needs to be on the first powerplay unit, especially when its a 6 on 4 late in a game when we are down by 1.

There are no possible arguments to be made against it, yet Lalonde had his ass on the bench. I wish a reporter would ask him about this, but they won't.

Raymond has been one of our most consistent players this season by far, yet Lalonde still won't play him....why?

I understand, but is he 1. a better shooter than Cat? 2. A better facilitator than Kane?

Unless you go with 5 forwards you have a dman on the top with Compher net front, not Raymond’s strength. Larkin bumper, not Raymond’s strength and I’m not taking Cap outta there. I think Kane has been brillant, so I’d keep him at the far wall. So you gotta decide if you’d rather Raymond be the trigger man.

Reactions: TCNorthstars
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Simple 'eye test' says it all...This team isn't playing up to their ability...Regardless of the fact that there's still 51 games left this season - we're not likely going to see playoff hockey come 2024 for the Red Wings.
Yeah, given the hot start, it really is unfortunate. I havent given up all hope- we've seen how well the team can play this year, but unfortunately it's the same narrative as last season, when we lose a couple, we can't seem to stop the bleeding.

I just wish we could watch a losing product with Raymond and Seider being leaned on, and with Edvinsson and Berggren on the squad. I'd rather lose watching these guys, than lose watching Petry, Holl, Fischer etc

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I understand, but is he 1. a better shooter than Cat? 2. A better facilitator than Kane?

Unless you go with 5 forwards you have a dman on the top with Compher net front, not Raymond’s strength. Larkin bumper, not Raymond’s strength and I’m not taking Cap outta there. I think Kane has been brillant, so I’d keep him at the far wall. So you gotta decide if you’d rather Raymond be the trigger man.
I've been critical of Kane, but he had a nice game tonight and was making plays. I also really appreciated his hustle tonight, although I would have liked it if it came earlier.

But yeah, it's Compher. Compher is a gamer, but Raymond needs to be on the ice over him on the PP. and then the whole Ras thing is such a head-scratcher. Like it's honestly making me chuckle as I write this....Rasmussen was on the ice late down by 1 on a powerplay, and Raymond was on the bench.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Kane played well after the first and was a bright spot so that’s encouraging.

But I’ve been saying it over and over, unless this team addresses the defense by trading for someone (Hanifin) or bringing up Ed we are going to keep losing. The super high shooting percentage wasn’t going to last forever.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

Why do people want more icetime for Seider? Game after game he is at the bottom. Him and Walman are by far the worst pairing defensively.

I agree. Seider has not looked good this season. None of our D-men have looked “good”.

Seider, Walman, Chiarot have been mediocre at best and everyone else have been even worse.

Don’t have any good d-men, let alone “great”.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal

If you aren’t going to watch the game and base your opinions solely on weird data, I don’t think you’ll have a lot of people sharing the same opinion as you.

Seider is often deployed against the opponents best players… not sure if your special chart says that or not and is put on in any situation despite often being paired up with an inferior offensive line.

Everyone wants Seider to get more time on the ice in better situations such as the PP because of his talent. He’s the most skilled defender we have on the backend and it’s a laughing joke that him and Raymond are being deployed the way they are in regards to the PP.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I've been critical of Kane, but he had a nice game tonight and was making plays. I also really appreciated his hustle tonight, although I would have liked it if it came earlier.

But yeah, it's Compher. Compher is a gamer, but Raymond needs to be on the ice over him on the PP. and then the whole Ras thing is such a head-scratcher. Like it's honestly making me chuckle as I write this....Rasmussen was on the ice late down by 1 on a powerplay, and Raymond was on the bench.
I think Lalonde is overthinking things and as a result is under managing the game..

play your best and most skilled players and trust that they will deliever..

It's why they get paid the most..

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Mo's deployment is no different than if Larkin were getting 12-13 minutes in random games. Is Larkin always the best, shift in and shift out? Not at all. But he gives us our best opportunity, regardless of game situation, to outplay the opposition. Mo should be treated the same as that is the caliber of player he is.

If we are a rebuilding team, and Mo is supposed to be the man come the time we're ready to compete, why is he not getting experience in being the man? He, Ed, Ray, etc... should be drowning in ice time so they learn what it means to be the guy.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think Lalonde is overthinking things and as a result is under managing the game..

play your best and most skilled players and trust that they will deliever..

It's why they get paid the most..
Ummm, Ray and Mo are on ELCs. Copp is the third highest paid player on the whole team. CHiarot is the highest paid defenseman.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The team is not skating with any energy, they are off, and are getting injured left and right. They are either exhausted or playing while having the flu... or both.

This is not the same team. It's not coaching. I hope they rest up / heal and go on a roll after Christmas break.

That being said, our goalies suck. Husso is the only guy that I think has any inkling of potential to play like an NHL goalie.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Mo has had a stretch of really poor play lately. Bad passes, bad vision, too aggressive, not aggressive enough.... just all over the place. Definitely not steady and consistent.

Raymond had a terrible game. TERRIBLE. I don't think he made one good decision all night. He is thinking far too much and trying to force plays.

Whether that means they should sit when the game is on the line, I don't know. But let's not pretend like they were burning down villages all season.

Reactions: Filppula

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
We talk about playing a full 60 minutes, which is absolutely valid. But take away two absolute softies tonight and that 4-3 loss becomes a 3-2 win.

Barring the rare occasion, you’re never going to have a perfect defensive game. You’re always going to let in at least one or two. Problem is, our goalies are spotting them 1-2 freebies per game, which means we basically need at least 4 goals to win.

They are by far the weakest link and that needs to be addressed.

Dec 26, 2019
Kamloops B.C
I agree it's a dangerous game, but I can't understand it any other way.

Raymond has played his ass off this year, so why is he not on the ie when we are trying to complete a comeback?

JT Compher has been great, but what has he done to warrant time on the 1st PP unit over Raymond? Compher kills penalties, so he'll get his ice time on the PK, so there is no reason he should be on the top unit over Raymond.

I know it sounds crazy, but I truly believe it. I believe Yzerman is trying to lower cap hits by telling Lalonde to limit the minutes for Raymond and Seider.
They wanted a right handed center out there for the draws. Our team has been abysmal in the face off circle and lalonde wanted two centres out there. I agree for talent reasons Raymond should be on over compher but Raymond doesn’t take draws

Reactions: flychairman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad