GDT: Game 31: Leafs @ Wild - 7PM Central / 3AM Finland - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How is he going to come off of back surgery and be better than he has been for two years?

I don't know. Never had back surgery. But if he was trying to gut it out at 75% the last two years, and having the surgery brings him up to 90%+ (arbitrary, unprovable percentages I know), then the math would seem to favor an improvement.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Gotta side with the doc on this one. I appreciate Reilly's skill, but I take Spurgeon 11 times out of 10. And I just don't know enough about Murphy at this point in the season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Gotta side with the doc on this one. I appreciate Reilly's skill, but I take Spurgeon 11 times out of 10. And I just don't know enough about Murphy at this point in the season.
Spurgeon and Reilly don't even play the same side.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Spurgeon and Reilly don't even play the same side.

OK. Perhaps I've had a couple too much to drink, but I thought the conversation was whether or not Reilly or Murphy or a combination thereof pushes Spurgeon out of the PP. If that's the conversation we're having then I stand by my statement. If that's not the conversation we're having I'll bow out.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I haven't missed Spurgeon after the 1st game (Jets) he missed. I think the d-corps has looked more stable without him in the lineup. It could just be that Suter/Dumba works much better than Brodin/Dumba ever have. Seriously, Brodin has played well with anyone not named Dumba.

The PP has been ice cold (1g in 8 games) since his injury, and was red hot (10g in 6 games) before it. It could just be a coincidence, but I'm going with Gibbs Rule #39 on this one.

The d-corps should only get better once he returns. Spurgeon is better at hockey than any of the other RHD on the team. I would like to see a Brodin/Spurgeon pairing happen and leave Dumba with Suter.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
OK. Perhaps I've had a couple too much to drink, but I thought the conversation was whether or not Reilly or Murphy or a combination thereof pushes Spurgeon out of the PP. If that's the conversation we're having then I stand by my statement. If that's not the conversation we're having I'll bow out.
Spurgeon and Reilly play different roles on the PP.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Nice to see another win.

Fun fact: we're 6th in Central, but we would be 3rd in the pacific. God damn Central blood bath..

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i was really impressed with the effort last night , awesome win over a fast team. leafs had their chances , stalock came up huge. we missed a few such as coyles pipe ; grannys sweet pass to nino (stick tied up) , ennis point blank shot in 3rd all could have gone in. im amped over that win.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
spurgeon is a rock solid nhl D man & has the stats to prove it. reilly & murphy have no stats and haven't even proved anything yet. why is this even a debate?
It's almost like we're talking about the PP specifically.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ok, solid take. I will let you guys get back to thinking Spurgeon is the best defenseman on the team.

But no one said that. You seem to be saying that Reilly and Murphy are better choices on the PP than Spurgeon. That's bat shit crazy talk.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can't remember a time that Spurgeon and Brodin played together. Can't even picture it. It's like too much good.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Ok, solid take. I will let you guys get back to thinking Spurgeon is the best defenseman on the team.

Yeah... that was nowhere close to the debate we were (sort of) having.

And speaking of "solid takes", you were giving one and two word answers to "support" the idea that two fringe NHLers were better at something than a top pair D and one of the top 35-50 defensemen in the entire league. So what leg are you actually standing on here?

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
It's nice to get a shutout without Spurgeon, though I don't know if it was really as strong a performance as it seemed-- there were a few that the Wild had no hand in not being goals. But anyways, Suter/Dumba has been holding its own so far. I really did not think Suter/Spurgeon was working for whatever reason. Brodin/Murphy has been pretty solid too, so I don't know what I'd prefer to do with Spurgeon. Suppose it doesn't matter, I'm pretty sure he will be back with Suter for the return of Dumb-Bro.

Heeey, Ennis scored! Good for him. He works hard. He just needs a whole bunch of opportunities every game that are like that, where he can skate around the net with nobody near him to breeze him off the puck. Those are a dime a dozen, right?

Regarding Parise, if he's not better than last year, then he's still got a back problem. He played through one of those once and might have noticed how it ended. If he does it again it's not going to have a better ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad