GDT: Game 31: Leafs @ Wild - 7PM Central / 3AM Finland - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommieNation

Feb 9, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I'll take it but I have a feeling we are trying to get our defense right lately. Once we are confident with that I want us to be more aggressive on offense. Most of this year has felt out of sync but it can still come together

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'll take it but I have a feeling we are trying to get our defense right lately. Once we are confident with that I want us to be more aggressive on offense. Most of this year has felt out of sync but it can still come together
Getting Spurgeon back should be a nice shot in the arm. Even with him gone I've felt pretty confident in the defense, which is not something I ever would have expected when he went down.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Missed this, but looks like the Stalock revenge game factor was real! Got a nice streak going right now!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
As a Leaf fan, don't like losing the 2 points...

But...

...over the broadcast, learned about Stalock's time here in Toronto. Where he was acquired in a trade, told he was 4th in the minors on the depth chart and sent home.

To come back to the NHL, face the team that buried you, and shut them out in front of the home town fans.... well that's a feel good sports story if I ever heard one.

Congratulations

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
As a Leaf fan, don't like losing the 2 points...

But...

...over the broadcast, learned about Stalock's time here in Toronto. Where he was acquired in a trade, told he was 4th in the minors on the depth chart and sent home.

To come back to the NHL, face the team that buried you, and shut them out in front of the home town fans.... well that's a feel good sports story if I ever heard one.

Congratulations

Cheers. Definitely a cool story. Could have been a different story if Matthews was in, but we'll take the W.

TommieNation

Feb 9, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Getting Spurgeon back should be a nice shot in the arm. Even with him gone I've felt pretty confident in the defense, which is not something I ever would have expected when he went down.
Spurgeon will help a lot. I still have faith that Parise will help too. Even if he isn't fully the Parise we knew a few years ago I think he will still help with offense

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the main thing is that Murphy is a RHD, and is meshing with Brodin into a decent pairing that can put in 18-20 min/night if need be. This unlooked for development gives the Wild all sorts of options when it comes to reforming the D units once Spurgeon is back. I would like Spurgeon to play with the two young LHD, which would allow them a better chance to learn the ropes. Then use Spurge for PP, PK, and end of game duties to pump up his minutes.

I've been very hard on Fletcher's summer, but gotta hand it to him on picking up Murphy for free.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Parise comes back close to 100%, it'll be an immense boost. We're looking at two legit top 6 lines + a guy like Coyle or Nino (or Parise) on the 3rd line with a talented rookie (Eriksson Ek) and a good veteran (Cullen).

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Parise comes back close to 100%, it'll be an immense boost. We're looking at two legit top 6 lines + a guy like Coyle or Nino on the 3rd line with a talented rookie (Eriksson Ek) and a good veteran (Cullen).

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
When Parise comes back I think he will either be pretty close to prime Parise or he will be done within a year. If his back isn't fixed for real he won't be able to play long term.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think the main thing is that Murphy is a RHD, and is meshing with Brodin into a decent pairing that can put in 18-20 min/night if need be. This unlooked for development gives the Wild all sorts of options when it comes to reforming the D units once Spurgeon is back. I would like Spurgeon to play with the two young LHD, which would allow them a better chance to learn the ropes. Then use Spurge for PP, PK, and end of game duties to pump up his minutes.

I've been very hard on Fletcher's summer, but gotta hand it to him on picking up Murphy for free.
If Murphy is in the lineup, Spurgeon shouldn't see the PP. Also not sold on his abillity to carry a guy like Olofsson.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If Parise comes back close to 100%, it'll be an immense boost. We're looking at two legit top 6 lines + a guy like Coyle or Nino (or Parise) on the 3rd line with a talented rookie (Eriksson Ek) and a good veteran (Cullen).
No interest in Parise playing with either Koivu or Staal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Murphy is in the lineup, Spurgeon shouldn't see the PP. Also not sold on his abillity to carry a guy like Olofsson.

Murphy doesn't move a guy like Spurgeon off of the PP. But it likely doesn't matter, because those two plus Suter and Dumba would be the PP defensemen in some combination.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It depends on how he looks. If he's the same guy as two or three years ago, then they can play him anywhere they'd like.
How is he going to come off of back surgery and be better than he has been for two years?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Murphy doesn't move a guy like Spurgeon off of the PP. But it likely doesn't matter, because those two plus Suter and Dumba would be the PP defensemen in some combination.
If you have Suter, Reilly, Dumba, and Murphy in the lineup, then that should absolutely move Spurgeon off of the PP.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
How is he going to come off of back surgery and be better than he has been for two years?
His back was messed up last year but he was trying to see if he could play through it without surgery. He will either be better than last year, or done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad