GDT: Game 30 - BUF vs. STL at 7 PM ET on MSG-B and WGR

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I hate to beat a drum against the beat of the popular masses but with ~1 minute to go and my superstar who is faster side by side with theirs I prefer a killer instinct of "I got this" not I'll check down to my brain dead teammate and hope for the best...it's a must win game especially for a "leader". I digress to his post game comments that also don't personify being a leader either.

Love the kid but I'm not sure he gets a blame it on kane pass from me hear...

Reactions: sabrebuild

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Then should he not have been pushing out rather than letting him angle into the slot? No question those guys have to be on the same page.

It can be coached either way. Stay with your man or check off. I would expect to check off in that situation but it was 3 on 3 so who knows? I did not expect Kane to be so far up in the zone. I don't believe he needed to be. The one thing we can agree on is that neither Eichel or Kane were on the same page.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Yes, he was supposed to be back. But he wasn't. And when he isn't, you can't just drop off your guy.
Tarasenko was past Eichel when Kane stepped forward across the blue line toward the center of the ice. Kane was back, and then he inexplicably stepped forward. Kane's only job was to play the man with the puck.

Sorry, you can't just coast unless you know you have help. Obviously he didn't.
It's a basic switch play.

Put Oreilly, Rodriguez, Girgensons, Okposo, Reinhart, Larsson, or any defenseman in Kane's spot and they pick up Tarasenko at the blue line, continue to shade him to the outside (defensive left) and let Eichel curl to his left to take the trailer in the middle of the ice.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I hate to beat a drum against the beat of the popular masses but with ~1 minute to go and my superstar who is faster side by side with theirs I prefer a killer instinct of "I got this" not I'll check down to my brain dead teammate and hope for the best...it's a must win game especially for a "leader". I digress to his post game comments that also don't personify being a leader either.

Not exactly Messier type stuff in those comments.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Tarasenko was past Eichel when Kane stepped forward across the blue line toward the center of the ice. Kane was back, and then he inexplicably stepped forward. Kane's only job was to play the man with the puck.

It's a basic switch play.

Put Oreilly, Rodriguez, Girgensons, Okposo, Reinhart, Larsson, or any defenseman in Kane's spot and they pick up Tarasenko at the blue line, continue to shade him to the outside (defensive left) and let Eichel curl to his left to take the trailer in the middle of the ice.

Yes, it is. But you can't switch if there is nobody there to hand him off to.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
This is the possibly the worst NHL team ever assembled, in terms of how poorly they actually *play hockey.* This is an assemblage of relatively talented players, but it's like none of them really understand how to play hockey.

We wanted to get rid of Bylsma because we were hoping for a coach who would let these guys off the leash a bit, but it turns out they are all too dumb to be let off the leash. Like, you tell them, "hey, go out and make plays!" and they're like wut and just go run in front of an oncoming bus

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY

That isn't how it works. They have a system and all three guys need to be on the same page and in their position. If Kane stays in position and Eichel decides to chase Tarasenko down the wall anyway because "he's got this", the trailer would be skating into the slot wide open ready for a pass.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It can be coached either way. Stay with your man or check off. I would expect to check off in that situation but it was 3 on 3 so who knows? I did not expect Kane to be so far up in the zone. I don't believe he needed to be. The one thing we can agree on is that neither Eichel or Kane were on the same page.

Eichel and Kane not on the same page.... imagine that! Better re-sign Kane and stick him to Eichel for the rest of his career including the PP and PK with Housley as the coach for the next 10 years too. /wrists

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
SOMEONE PLEASE INTERVENTION ME, I AM WATCHING THE REPLAY OF THIS GAME ON MSG rn why please help

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
It is basic. You aren't right. Eichel can't just leave his man like that.

It’s basic...you have no idea what a check down is and never played the game outside of house league hockey. Please... watch again as Kane peeled off instead of boxing Tarasenko on the wall. Easy isolation play. Eichel did not leave his man.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
That isn't how it works. They have a system and all three guys need to be on the same page and in their position. If Kane stays in position and Eichel decides to chase Tarasenko down the wall anyway because "he's got this", the trailer would be skating into the slot wide open ready for a pass.

Yeah from your arm chair assessment. It' 3 on 3 last minute hockey. If Kane cheats the system and scores you'd be celebrating his compete level. It' never that simple. There's no extensive practice or coaching for these situations which is why I said in the gdt cest la vie...it happens. There's zero reason for jack to react as he did, nor is there reason for Kane to act as he did. I see a mutual fvck u p. And I'll call it how I see it. Eichel lacked that extra gear to wanna win there regardless then threw kane under the bus in the post game...yeah that' my captain...

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Yeah from your arm chair assessment. It' 3 on 3 last minute hockey. If Kane cheats the system and scores you'd be celebrating his compete level. It' never that simple. There's no extensive practice or coaching for these situations which is why I said in the gdt cest la vie...it happens. There's zero reason for jack to react as he did, nor is there reason for Kane to act as he did. I see a mutual fvck u p. And I'll call it how I see it. Eichel lacked that extra gear to wanna win there regardless then threw kane under the bus in the post game...yeah that' my captain...

I agree with you here in general, the game is too fluid to coach for most situations and it more often than not comes down to instincts and awareness. However, this was a standard 3v3 break in and all three Sabres were in good position to defend it.

3JlpROL.png

Kane is the LD here. If 91 comes into the zone on his side with speed, Kane needs to pick him up. You don't leave it to a footrace between your high forward, even with Eichel's speed. Jack doesn't do a bad job here, he's applying pressure to the puck carrier and trying to cut off passing lanes.

eX8ZNPA.png

This is where Kane starts to float away into the middle of the ice. If he held his spot, he'd be just about on the blue line and a couple steps closer to the wall, and Tarasenko wouldn't be able to breeze by both of them. Eichel is still applying pressure here and trying to limit the drop pass.

Honestly, with Jack forcing Tarasenko to the boards here, this would have been a perfect opportunity for Kane to pinch and cut 91 off at the blue line. Go for the hit and if 91 loses the puck Jack would be right there to pick it up.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
If Kane goes outside then a quick pass by Tarasenko leads to a 2 0n 1 because Eichel will not be able to recover fast enough to get over or even see the play developing. I agree there are normal plays in defending but in 3 on 3 things develop requiring some spontaneity. The issue here was communication. Jack thinks Kane will take over. Kane thinks Jack who is over by the boards has Tarasenko and Kane does not want to get out of position for an easy 2 on 1 right in the slot. S... happens in games and the vitriol being thrown out is over the top.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It's absolutely hilarious how you guys assess this 3on3 situation as if it's 5on5 hockey. Housley and only Housley can state what the instructions to the team in the room are for such a play. Blaming either player without knowing what is being coached is just hating considering how little margin for error they both had here. If Kane goes to cover Tarasenko is completely capable to make a drop pass behind him for a 2on1. If Kane goes to cover the pass behind, we get what actually happened yesterday. Normally I'd expect Eichel to stay with his man there and Kane to go for coverage behind him on 3on3 situation but I still wouldn't blame Jack without knowing what Housley is preaching. You can make Kane scapegoat for this teams misfortunes but i promise you we will not suck any less when he's gone (and he will be gone almost surely so stay patient and wait for it to happen..)

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It's absolutely hilarious how you guys assess this 3on3 situation as if it's 5on5 hockey. Housley and only Housley can state what the instructions to the team in the room are for such a play. Blaming either player without knowing what is being coached is just hating considering how little margin for error they both had here. If Kane goes to cover Tarasenko is completely capable to make a drop pass behind him for a 2on1. If Kane goes to cover the pass behind, we get what actually happened yesterday. Normally I'd expect Eichel to stay with his man there and Kane to go for coverage behind him on 3on3 situation but I still wouldn't blame Jack without knowing what Housley is preaching. You can make Kane scapegoat for this teams misfortunes but i promise you we will not suck any less when he's gone (and he will be gone almost surely so stay patient and wait for it to happen..)

Addition by subtraction. Kane will give back a decent return when he's traded and we won't see him coughing up possession in 5on5 and 3on3. Nor will we see him playing with Eichel screwing up his line or the powerplay. Seriously...possession is EXTREMELY important in 3on3, firing weak bad angle shots that ring around the boards is one of the dumbest things you can do in OT.

Against the Blackhawks they literally employed the same tactic against Eichel in OT. He got squeezed out along the boards by two players and lost possession. Kane instead of cutting him off decided to stop at the blue line.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Addition by subtraction. Kane will give back a decent return when he's traded and we won't see him coughing up possession in 5on5 and 3on3. Nor will we see him playing with Eichel screwing up his line or the powerplay. Seriously...possession is EXTREMELY important in 3on3, firing weak bad angle shots that ring around the boards is one of the dumbest things you can do in OT.

Against the Blackhawks they literally employed the same tactic against Eichel in OT. He got squeezed out along the boards by two players and lost possession. Kane instead of cutting him off decided to stop at the blue line.
Well that's the optimistic view, the pessimistic is he's one of our best goalscorers and has enforcer presence. Net neutral for me considering he has many good traits and many bad ones, we will still suck after he's gone.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
If Kane goes outside then a quick pass by Tarasenko leads to a 2 0n 1 because Eichel will not be able to recover fast enough to get over or even see the play developing. I agree there are normal plays in defending but in 3 on 3 things develop requiring some spontaneity. The issue here was communication. Jack thinks Kane will take over. Kane thinks Jack who is over by the boards has Tarasenko and Kane does not want to get out of position for an easy 2 on 1 right in the slot. S... happens in games and the vitriol being thrown out is over the top.

Actually, your comment and Kyndig86's turned a light bulb on for me as I looked inside the "web" of Kane's brain (remember that from Doonesbury i.e., inside Reagan's brain?).... Kane gambled on this becoming an offensive opportunity (Eichel would take the puck off Tarasenko's stick and free it up for Kane to attack in the opposite direction) but lost the bet... And hence the Sabres lost too.

We'll never really know but given Kane's instincts, it fits his pattern.....

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
So basically Kane made the right play because if he had challenged the puck, Tarasenko makes a pass that teleports the trailing forward from off-screen to perfect 2 on 1 position inside our blueline?

Reactions: Kyndig

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So basically Kane made the right play because if he had challenged the puck, Tarasenko makes a pass that teleports the trailing forward from off-screen to perfect 2 on 1 position inside our blueline?
He assumed Jack is staying with Tarasenko and went to cover the 3rd guy on the ice which is what tends to happen in 3on3 OT and then ... Jack pulled up. And they did this at pretty much the exact same time. Kane would not have skated towards the centre if he didn't think Jack is sticking with Tarasenko. When both found out that the other guy is not covering Tarasenko anymore it was too late... You can twist it any way you want, still won't change what happened. It's quite possible it was Kane's fault, but I can't blame him without some clarification from Housley on what is being asked of the players.

This is the exact moment Kane started skating towards centre ice to cover. You can see the shadow of Parayko and I can see exactly what Kane is thinking, "I should go cover the pass behind Jack because it seems Jack has Tarasenko covered". Unfortunately at the exact same moment Jack is thinking "Kaner has it covered so I go cover the pass behind me". Note that at the point kane decides to go for pass coverage, they are still in the STL zone and Jack has Tarasenko seemingly covered. Split second and a step the wrong way by both, Tarasenko cannot be stopped.

View media item 945
Could have Kane waited 1 more second to go cover Parayko - Yes.
Could have Jack stayed with his man for 1 more second and see that Kane is going to cover the pass - Yes.
Both probably prevent the goal, neither happened.

Only Housley can say what he has asked them to do on 3on3 and who covers you. You, DJ, Jame and anyone else here is guessing while at the same time bashing Kane cause that's the easy thing to do.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He assumed Jack is staying with Tarasenko and went to cover the 3rd guy on the ice which is what tends to happen in 3on3 OT and then ... Jack pulled up. And they did this at pretty much the exact same time. Kane would not have skated towards the centre if he didn't think Jack is sticking with Tarasenko. When both found out that the other guy is not covering Tarasenko anymore it was too late... You can twist it any way you want, still won't change what happened. It's quite possible it was Kane's fault, but I can't blame him without some clarification from Housley on what is being asked of the players.

This is the exact moment Kane started skating towards centre ice to cover. You can see the shadow of Parayko and I can see exactly what Kane is thinking, "I should go cover the pass behind Jack because it seems Jack has Tarasenko covered". Unfortunately at the exact same moment Jack is thinking "Kaner has it covered so I go cover the pass behind me". Note that at the point kane decides to go for pass coverage, they are still in the STL zone and Jack has Tarasenko seemingly covered. Split second and a step the wrong way by both, Tarasenko cannot be stopped.

View media item 945
Could have Kane waited 1 more second to go cover Parayko - Yes.
Could have Jack stayed with his man for 1 more second and see that Kane is going to cover the pass - Yes.
Both probably prevent the goal, neither happened.

Only Housley can say what he has asked them to do on 3on3 and who covers you. You, DJ, Jame and anyone else here is guessing while at the same time bashing Kane cause that's the easy thing to do.

Kane is supposed to recognize Jack has that man and drop back as the last line of defense in support. He doesn't need to go to the 3rd guy who is no where near the play or a danger at that time. No one is ever supposed to surrender being the last line of defense and go PAST the puck carrier to go cover a guy behind him over on the opposing blueline in that situation. Had Kane played it properly, they could have sealed Tarasenko off along the half wall.

Kane basically ends up doing nothing caught in no man's land and it leads to the goal being scored. We're bashing Kane because he was lost and screwed up leading to the goal. Its hockey basics 101 and he failed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad