Half-Assed GDT: Game 3 - Note @ Carcharodon carcharias

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
Two shutouts in a row sucks but we can still get the split on Saturday. If we get wrecked again then I will start losing hope. But the goal was to get the split and we can still do that.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What kind of player would Tarasenko be if he didn't have the best wrister in the world? Him and everyone else complained about his ice time but the truth is that he's a major liability when on the ice. He's awful at holding possession along the boards, he can't cycle the puck in order for Hitch's system to work, he only pressures a player with the puck when he feels like it, he makes too many risky passes that usually result in the other team getting an odd man rush. His dad and grandpa need to chew his ass out because he's been absolutely pitiful in the playoffs and parts of the regular season this year.
Yep... he's not as elite as many thought he was. He's still a great goal scorer but I never viewed him as a top 10 talent in the NHL or anything like that. I'd say he's more around 20th for forwards.

I think we're panicking a little early on this one. All we have to do is play a great game 4 and we're back in the driver's seat. San Jose has played great, and it won't be easy, but we can beat them. Our A game is better than their A game. We just have to show it.
I don't think it is. San Jose has been playing almost perfect hockey. They are fast to pucks, great along the boards, reliable defensively, and their passing is worlds better than ours.

For as bad as the Blues have played, I don't think I've seen them play a better game all year than the Sharks did in games 2 and 3. That may be a bit of a hyperbole, but it's a tall mountain to climb and pretty unrealistic.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
What kind of player would Tarasenko be if he didn't have the best wrister in the world? Him and everyone else complained about his ice time but the truth is that he's a major liability when on the ice. He's awful at holding possession along the boards, he can't cycle the puck in order for Hitch's system to work, he only pressures a player with the puck when he feels like it, he makes too many risky passes that usually result in the other team getting an odd man rush. His dad and grandpa need to chew his ass out because he's been absolutely pitiful in the playoffs and parts of the regular season this year.

Saying Tarasenko isn't worth his contract (which technically you haven't, but have implied it) is not correct.

Hitch's system is not built for a player like Tarasenko, I don't think Tarasenko's defense is a problem. He has made some decent defensive plays. Hitch's coaching style is more suitable for a player/winger like Jamie Benn.

Sure Tarasenko does float, but thats how he gets open. He creates space and finds open spots for players to give him the puck. Ovechkin is similar to Tarasenko in a few ways. He's big, strong, great shot but not a great defensive player and tends to float. But Ovechkin has Backstrom. A great playmaker who's reliable defensively. Tarasenko finished 12th in scoring, 4th in goals despite not having that center. The guy is also a very good passer, can see the ice well and sometimes that pass is risky but that's how a player like Tarasenko is. Tarasenko is amazing when he's playing well, but just pathetic when he isn't. Fortunately for us, he's amazing most of the time.

I'd like for Tarasenko to have more energy, and play a more complete game. However, I believe coaching is a big reason with that, the players don't like playing for Hitch and his systems are brutal, as well as his inability to adjust mid-game. When Barry Trotz came over, it helped Ovi re-shape his game and now nobody really questions Ovi on defense, this could be the case with Tarasenko.

BluesCanada

Apr 21, 2014
Tarasenko being called out and "not worth his contract"? not a top-10 offensive talent?

lol.

cya after saturday when they win and everything is rainbows and peaches again.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Saying Tarasenko isn't worth his contract (which technically you haven't, but have implied it) is not correct.

Hitch's system is not built for a player like Tarasenko, I don't think Tarasenko's defense is a problem. He has made some decent defensive plays. Hitch's coaching style is more suitable for a player/winger like Jamie Benn.

Sure Tarasenko does float, but thats how he gets open. He creates space and finds open spots for players to give him the puck. Ovechkin is similar to Tarasenko in a few ways. He's big, strong, great shot but not a great defensive player and tends to float. But Ovechkin has Backstrom. A great playmaker who's reliable defensively. Tarasenko finished 12th in scoring, 4th in goals despite not having that center. The guy is also a very good passer, can see the ice well and sometimes that pass is risky but that's how a player like Tarasenko is. Tarasenko is amazing when he's playing well, but just pathetic when he isn't. Fortunately for us, he's amazing most of the time.

I'd like for Tarasenko to have more energy, and play a more complete game. However, I believe coaching is a big reason with that, the players don't like playing for Hitch and his systems are brutal, as well as his inability to adjust mid-game. When Barry Trotz came over, it helped Ovi re-shape his game and now nobody really questions Ovi on defense, this could be the case with Tarasenko.

You wrote all of that for nothing really. Quit trying to put the blame on Hitch and put the blame on our "star" player for giving a piss poor effort. His system has never held back Tarasenko before. It's never been about him floating. I understand the fact that he sometimes floats to look for open space but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying his effort level is way below what it can be. His drills in practice should focus solely on attacking the puck or sticking on a guy who has the puck. When Tarasenko plays defensive hockey, he creates tons of chances for himself. Remember last year when Hitch would trust Tarasenko with a PK shift here and there? Well I'd imagine that trust is gone.

BluesCanada

Apr 21, 2014
also Hitchcock turning to Allen over Elliot for Game 4 is absurd. Elliot hasn't been the issue here. he's writing his own eulogy, and I couldn't be happier that he's on his way out if they lose this series.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
also Hitchcock turning to Allen over Elliot for Game 4 is absurd. Elliot hasn't been the issue here. he's writing his own eulogy, and I couldn't be happier that he's on his way out if they lose this series.

Won't win another game doing that they are doing. Need a shake up and wake up call.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Tarasenko being called out and "not worth his contract"? not a top-10 offensive talent?

lol.

One win wouldn't put him in the top 10 when he's never been there in the first place. See ya Saturday.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

lol.

Are you saying he shouldn't be called out for his abysmal play?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How is he not a top 10 offensive talent?
Hes the 2nd best goal scorer on the planet.
He's never finished 2nd in the NHL in goals so that's a pretty baseless number.

It's not all about goals, it's pretty easy to name 10 forwards who are better than Tarasenko.

BluesCanada

Apr 21, 2014
I'm talking offensively. Goals+Assists.

Look who's name happens to be #1.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ers&minutes=1000&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

ya but reasons why he isn't a top-10 talent. reasons. they're very good reasons, I promise. these reasons are bulletproof and not at all out of a preconceived, idiotic notion that is based in a prior bias.

also, taking Elliot out of the series is "shaking things up"? let's take the most consistent (perhaps second behind Pietrangelo?) out of the lineup to "shake things up." there's nothing wrong with this ideology.

god Allen is going to let this team get destroyed on Saturday, isn't he?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Will you take this back if it's announced he's been hurt? This seems like it's overly influenced by recency

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ask and you shall receive.

Blues are probably gonna come out high flying, but sneaky Sharks will be ready for it....

evan-bourne-rko-o.gif
This gif is so spot on for our playoff hopes....

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Tarasenko is an elite offensive player. Full stop. I'm not going to argue top 10 or 15 or whatever. But he is elite and will be worth his contract. He had more goals this regular season than the next two closest guys on our team. Lehtera had a down year and didn't help, and Schwartz was hurt. He did a lot of it on his own. He pretty much carried our offense all season. Look at the number of game-winning or tying goals he has. I don't have the final numbers on hand but Ovechkin is the only player close.

He has been bad in the playoffs. I personally think he is exhausted. Russian players are knocked for their endurance, and this is the most games he has ever played. Add the weight he put on his shoulders throughout the regular season to carry our offense with injuries, and I bet he is just out of gas. Do I wish he had a reserve to keep pushing, of course. But hopefully he will realize he needs to work on that this off-season.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I cannot believe they are removing the Blues only Con Smythe candidate to shake things up. How about adding more offense like Rattie over Tarasenko if you want a shake up. The offense doesn't score a single goal in 2 straight games, and has only scored 2 in 3 total, but lets shake up the stagnant offense by pulling the goalie and one of the only reasons this team is still even in the playoffs. Maddening.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
I have to believe the choice on Allen is about his puck moving ability and not a shake up. Its the WCF for heaven sake...our best players should be on the ice, not sitting a game to send a message to the rest of the team. This better be part of an adjusted game plan.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Not going to lie, I'm starting to lose hope now. These last three games haven't shown me that this team can come back against San Jose, and honestly, we should be down 3-0 at this point. The fact is, they are simply better than we are at every facet of the game. This is compounded by the fact that we also seem to be running out of steam, I just don't think we're going to magically flip a switch and find our legs again.

Barring some epic, legendary collapse on the part of San Jose (and given their dominant play through these first few games, that is SERIOUSLY doubtful) we're done for.

There, I said it.

/offofmychest

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I don't think that San Jose is better in every facet, they are just playing to their strong points and Hitch has made it easy by trying to force our system when they clearly have our system figured out. San Jose dominated us in the regular season, too. If Hitch doesn't change up the current system of dumping it in and fighting for possession this will be over Monday night. He has to start moving the puck into the zone and maintain possession and we absolutely have to get a guy in the crease to attack the goalie. Pucks have to get funneled to the net or this is done. Doing that will make them change up their defensive philosophy and open up the point more for snipes as well. SOG mean nothing for us in this series so far. We are getting next to no high quality chances because there is no direct pressure on the goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad