GDT: Game 3, Hawks @ Leafs: 6PM Central on NBCS-CHI and NHLN-US--Don't Upset Evil Saad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm assuming it's Canadian Thanksgiving? Interesting. So are Canadians all off work today?

Was a bad joke, though. You Canadians have to work on your humor. ;) :laugh:

Well that explains why there are afternoon games tomorrow as well.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Weird how some analysts are making this out to be some kind of enormous gauge on how good the Hawks are, as if any result in Game 3 of an 82 game season will be an indication of how the rest of the season will go. Suddenly the Leafs are apparently a dynasty....

Ya gotta remember that Leafs fans and the TO media are currently where Blackhawks were around years 2007-2008. Full of optimism.

Reactions: MoreMogilny and BTP

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised this early in the season if Q plays Crawford both games. I guess it depends on how he feels about Forsburg, but with the Leafs scoring so many goals he might want Crow in tonight instead of tomorrow if he is going to play both. I know Crow's history with the Habs but they have scored 4 goals and given up 10 in 3 games, might be an easier team for Forsburg to face in his first game

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I expect we play Forsberg in net against TOR...the reason is CC has a great record vs.MTL and it is his hometown ...so instead of playing Forsberg in Montreal we probably put in CC there in front of his family and friends ...also if the Leafs ho statement on us tonight and we lose ..well there is tge conventional "But Leafs did not beat our #2 goalie " excuse. .SO if this hapoens ,pity Forsberg having to face that offense Toronto has...5 lines that can score.Of course we are out 2 starting C's,so there is also that excuse if we lose this game.

Small sample size but Forsberg has looked fine..... and BTW:

DOH

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
A bit surprised, even though Crow has the great record against the Habs they are really struggling, scoring only 4 goals in 3 games. Toronto on the road with them scoring 15 goals in 2 games is a really tall task for a goalie making his first Hawks start. Whatever, hopefully Forsburg and the D can rise to the task

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I wish they would have picked Thanksgiving to be in October or September even. Those Pilgrim really got it wrong.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This one should be a good test.

I feel these rosters are pretty close in talent too to bottom.

Keith gives the Hawks and edge in terms of top-end D, but I give Toronto the edge in forward depth. I mean Connor Brown is a 20 goal scorer and he's stuck on their 4th line cause theres too much proven talent ahead of him.

I think its going to come down to the Toews line and Kadri line. Whovere does a better job of minimizing the other team's top line should win the game.

Would feel better with Schmaltz in the lineup, though.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah. Not too happy with Schmaltz being out, and hopefully it's just these couple of games. He's apparently already got a target on his back this year. Gonna have to keep his head up and on a swivel.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I'm still working today :(

Ya gotta remember that Leafs fans and the TO media are currently where Blackhawks were around years 2007-2008. Full of optimism.

They're just spewing rainbow vomit everywhere its gross.

But end of the day its far more entertaining when both these teams are good (as long as the Leafs crash out hilariously at the end). I fear for our defense tonight though.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

But end of the day its far more entertaining when both these teams are good (as long as the Leafs crash out hilariously at the end). I fear for our defense tonight though.

Sorry to hear about you getting jipped. Yeah, if we shut down these guys, I'm sold on the D. I really think Top 6 D might be overrated with these rule changes, as crazy as that might sound. Team defense and possession are more important and it's harder to take the puck away without the little stick chops. Kudos to Bowman. You could see the beginnings of it with what Pittsburgh marched out there last year and Crosby/Rutherford's edict but damn, it's next level from the different games I've watched so far. I'd do exactly what SB did, load up on offensively minded D that can skate.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

Yeah that’s exactly where we are. Last year was an unexpected run into the playoffs. This year is the first year I’ve felt legitimately optimistic about the team going forwards.

Anyways, I’m always excited for TO/CHI games. Should be a good one. Though the Leafs are prone to some disastrous defensive breakdowns. Even in the first game against Winnipeg. They’ve taken their foot off the gas in both games and got burned.

Good luck tonight!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
M&Ms stink!
f2be9b1762bf5bda321e028fe5f22640--toronto-maple-leafs-hockey-stuff.jpg

I prefer ....

d5ca6320-a8f6-11e5-b9ff-6bee763d74aa_Screen-Shot-2015-12-22-at-1-31-07-PM.png

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Better to crash in the RS then wait for the PO's not to show up. Yes, it can get annoying but I can't blame Leaf fans for their enthusiasm. Shoot, I'm happy Leafs are in the East.

That said Blackhawk fans should be happy with the development of Hartman, Saad and Schmaltz.... and knock on wood, the D doesn't look too bad so far.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Yeah. Not too happy with Schmaltz being out, and hopefully it's just these couple of games. He's apparently already got a target on his back this year. Gonna have to keep his head up and on a swivel.

I think Schmaltz is going to have to adjust to being seen as a threat on the ice now as opposed to riding shotgun on the wing last year. Teams are going to be game planning for him now so he's going to have to learn not to put himself in a vulnerable spot.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Turned down a 12th row seat to the bears game to watch the cubs/hawks today. Don't make me regret that boys.

Reactions: sugoi88

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Weird how some analysts are making this out to be some kind of enormous gauge on how good the Hawks are, as if any result in Game 3 of an 82 game season will be an indication of how the rest of the season will go. Suddenly the Leafs are apparently a dynasty....

You can only gauge the quality of the team by the quality of the opponents they're facing. It's so early in the season, though, that it's less about being "a dynasty" but more about how they are doing right now:

'hawks right now are on top: Tied for 1st in the whole league in standings points among, Toronto, LA, STL, Vegas, Washington Detroit, and Philly with 4. Of all of those teams, the 'hawks have the tiebreaker with a goal differential of +13. Toronto is #2 with a goal differential of +8. Ergo, as of right now Toronto is the best test the 'hawks could face as a test right now.

While I agree that game 3 of 82 is hardly an indicator of what will happen some 5-6 months from now, if the 'hawks are as good as we'd like them to be, they gotta beat the hot teams. Toronto right now is the 2nd hottest team next to the 'hawks so if they can't at least put on a hell of a good show against the 'hawks, then it will at least temporaraily being into question whether the 'hawks are really that good or just bumslayers but fall to better teams.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am happy for Toronto and their young team. They are fun to watch. Except against the Hawks I cheer for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad