Post-Game Talk: Game #3 - Canucks 5, Flames 4 in OT: "Bork, bork, bork!" - Eddie Lack

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
we're only 3 games into the season...hamhuis being able to adjust to playing under tortorella's system is the least of my worries for the team

however he probably won't get team canada consideration, if only because he'll get overshadowed by a fellow canadian d-man on his team that's primed to have a massive year...wouldn't be surprised if jason garrison is among the top 3 nhl d-men in goals / points by december if he continues his strong play

let's not forget that it took hamhuis a while to get going under AV too. remember when people were calling hamhuis a bust at the beginning of the '11 season?

Tanevian*

That is kinda how this organization has been for as long as I can remember. I don't know if the Canucks have ever had a true NHL #1 great Dman. Would be nice if they got lucky and were able to draft one in the second or third round like Nashville did. GMMG needs to stop throwing our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks away.

Interesting logic.

Wetcoaster

Just wanted to chime in - Brad Richardson reminds me of Hansen. He has a motor that doesn't quit and it's easy to see why his advanced stats indicates he's a puck possession monster. Great pick-up, he's on pace to being one of the best 3rd/4th liners in the NHL.
And Richardson has the top face-off percentage among Canucks centres at 66.7% which also puts him in the top echelon in the NHL.

Henrik 51.7%
Kesler 49.2%
Dalpe 45.4%

And tied with Henrik for the +/- lead.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Flames played like **** (so did we) but they impressed me with how they almost pulled off the win. This is a team that I expect will end up last in the league, though I suppose there's always a possibility they pull a Phoenix and surprise.

Right now everyone is in or almost in a playoff spot. As the days go by and even the best play of the Flames fails to get the team points, they will fall back in the standings and the effort will being to wane.

Wetcoaster

Right now everyone is in or almost in a playoff spot. As the days go by and even the best play of the Flames fails to get the team points, they will fall back in the standings and the effort will being to wane.
Generally over-all talent and a strong balanced team wins out over the long term.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
NHL.com should also wait until at least week three or four weeks to post some of the league leader stats.

Right now Scrivens and LaBarbera are the best two goalies in the league.

I think it's usually a month or two until they factor out goalie stats that aren't on pace to reach 25 games.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Who originally made that claim about Garrison? I keep seeing it referred to, but I never saw/read/heard the initial comment.

The TSN Panel. I can't remember which one of them specifically.

You're always teaching me new and fun words. :)

Gonna use this one one the kids tonight when describing the state of their bedrooms..... see what kind of reaction I get. My oldest will probably give me a confused look (he's been really good at that lately) and say "cool name for a song or a band".

Happy to help. :laugh:

yoss

May 25, 2011
It's not only his first NHL start but he also missed most of last season. A pretty encouraging debut for a guy who hasn't played meaningful hockey for a long time. I thought he improved as the game went along which is a very good sign.

Was not aware of that, (was only vaguely aware from reading he was injured) makes it all the more impressive. Thought he played better than his pre-season game last night as well.

Wetcoaster

Was not aware of that, (was only vaguely aware from reading he was injured) makes it all the more impressive. Thought he played better than his pre-season game last night as well.
Lack was shut down last November with a hip problem and underwent surgery in January. He had been progressing very well in the minors before the injury.

“I know coming in there are a lot of question marks about me with my surgery,†he said afterwards. “It's important for me to help the team get some points.â€

Lack, in fact, was in the process of establishing himself as one of the game's fine young goaltending prospects before his development was impeded by last season's hip injury. Two years ago, he recorded a .925 save percentage and 2.31 goals-against average in 46 games with the Chicago Wolves. In 2010-11, his first year in North America, he had a .926 save percentage and 2.26 GAA in 56 starts with Manitoba.

Last year, however, he was shut down in November before undergoing surgery in January. He came into the Canucks as an unknown quantity but also was the only alternative to Roberto Luongo.

“I told myself to stick with it and play the full 60 minutes,†Lack said, still beaming in the Canucks' locker room after the game. “I felt like I did that. It was just so much fun when we came back.

“I was very nervous on the bus ride over here but as soon as I got into my normal warmup routine and on to the ice. I was OK. The guys have been really supportive. It's just felt like a normal game.â€​
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...uces+himself+coach+keeping/9004600/story.html

Wetcoaster

Vancouver Provie Award for:

Best brotherly insult

Henrik Sedin had a remarkable third period and overtime after he was split up from his brother. Henrik was asked if Daniel has been holding him back all these years. “That’s what I told him,†he said.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Lack was shut down last November with a hip problem and underwent surgery in January. He had been progressing very well in the minors before the injury.

“I know coming in there are a lot of question marks about me with my surgery,†he said afterwards. “It's important for me to help the team get some points.â€

Lack, in fact, was in the process of establishing himself as one of the game's fine young goaltending prospects before his development was impeded by last season's hip injury. Two years ago, he recorded a .925 save percentage and 2.31 goals-against average in 46 games with the Chicago Wolves. In 2010-11, his first year in North America, he had a .926 save percentage and 2.26 GAA in 56 starts with Manitoba.

Last year, however, he was shut down in November before undergoing surgery in January. He came into the Canucks as an unknown quantity but also was the only alternative to Roberto Luongo.

“I told myself to stick with it and play the full 60 minutes,†Lack said, still beaming in the Canucks' locker room after the game. “I felt like I did that. It was just so much fun when we came back.

“I was very nervous on the bus ride over here but as soon as I got into my normal warmup routine and on to the ice. I was OK. The guys have been really supportive. It's just felt like a normal game.â€​
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...uces+himself+coach+keeping/9004600/story.html

Aha, thanks Wetcoaster. Those numbers before his injury are impressive, look forward to seeing how he progresses. Like how he battled last night despite a shaky moment here or there.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
NHL.com should also wait until at least week three or four weeks to post some of the league leader stats.

I agree.

Last week everybody started at the same point and you have in the Flames a roster full of guys desperately trying to cling to a NHL job. At some point the talent level begins to take over and really it has already twice...Washington coming back and the canucks coming back. I fully expect this is the highest the Flames will find themselves in all year.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I could not agree more. Maybe not about the Hansen comparison, but he is a possession monster. Anyone stating the guy is not a good fit, deserves demotion or the press box really doesn't know the game very well. He is all over the place, constantly winning battles, and stripping the other team of the puck. He's also not prone himself being stripped and has the ability and confidence to take a few strides with the puck to make a play. Great addition to the bottom 6.

If I recall correctly the word of caution from LA fans on Richardson is that he could play great for short bursts but then disappear for longer stretches. So he's looked good so far but we'll see how it goes.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If I recall correctly the word of caution from LA fans on Richardson is that he could play great for short bursts but then disappear for longer stretches. So he's looked good so far but we'll see how it goes.

so....he's a 3rd/4th line tweener? If these guys had any sort of consistency they wouldn't be fighting for a spot in the NHL.

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver Provie Award for:

Best brotherly insult

Henrik Sedin had a remarkable third period and overtime after he was split up from his brother. Henrik was asked if Daniel has been holding him back all these years. “That’s what I told him,†he said.

It bears to note that the Kesler line looked great with Daniel on it.

I honestly hope they keep them split for a bit.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
It bears to note that the Kesler line looked great with Daniel on it.

I honestly hope they keep them split for a bit.

True. It's good for them to get experience working with different line combos, so if need be come playoffs it will be a viable option.

Wetcoaster

Rumour is the Flames have sent the Canucks a bill for repairs for Tortorella peeling the paint off the freshly painted walls in the visitor dressing between the second and third periods. ;)

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
And if Kesler would learn to use his wingers it would be a much better line.

Honestly, what I loved about Daniel with Kesler is Daniel being a playmaking winger fits Kes like a glove and there is absolutely no way Kes wouldn't trust Daniel, which is typically his Achilles' heel with linemates. It's definitely something we should consider.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Who originally made that claim about Garrison? I keep seeing it referred to, but I never saw/read/heard the initial comment.

Ray Ferraro. He later admitted to his mistake on Garrison's play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad