Post-Game Talk: Game #3 - Canucks 5, Flames 4 in OT: "Bork, bork, bork!" - Eddie Lack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Canucks still have a lot of work to do. Let's be honest, they played the two worst teams in the NHL for their past two wins. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do against some decent teams.

yeah, that's why i can't read too much into these past two games other than the fact that we might have some decent bottom six forwards that will score 10+ goals in a season for once

edmonton displayed one of the most pathetic efforts i've seen from a nhl team in recent memory, calgary folded like a house of cards when vancouver applied pressure in the third, and there was enough putrid goaltending from both teams to conjure memories of martin brochu

next two games against new jersey and san jose will be much more revealing

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah, Garrison had his early butterflies but settled in nicely and has continued that path. It is almost crime worthy that AV mismanaged him so badly with respects to PP time and usage.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The game put me to sleep at the end of the 2nd. Literally. I fell asleep, and finally woke up about 30 min ago. The outcome? Really surprising...we looked downright awful for the first 2 periods, but I guess the Flames are really unable to maintain leads. Still nice to rack up some points before that giant road trip...

The Flames played like **** (so did we) but they impressed me with how they almost pulled off the win. This is a team that I expect will end up last in the league, though I suppose there's always a possibility they pull a Phoenix and surprise.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The Flames played like **** (so did we) but they impressed me with how they almost pulled off the win. This is a team that I expect will end up last in the league, though I suppose there's always a possibility they pull a Phoenix and surprise.

If they had someone better than Ramo or MacDonald between the pipes, IMO, they would be winning a bit more. Their defense is also pretty ramshackle after Giordano, Wideman and Brodie.

But I agree with the sentiment that the Canucks were basically outplayed for the first 40 minutes. They looked like a tired team on the second half of a back to back. Like the way they rallied to get the win for Lack, even if it was against a team that has shown they are kind of easy to rally against.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I think people have pre conceived notions to an extent. When Edler struggles defensively as he has for over a year now, people don't call him Casual Alex or say that he's high risk high reward. But really that description has been more fitting for Edler than Bieksa for some time now. I still have high hopes for Edler but I just find it interesting the different way that people view him and Bieksa.

Good point.

But overall, we are still desperate to have that mistake free stud who eats up 27 minutes a game, scoring game changing goals and while punishing opponents with barely contained rage.

We have a collection of good, but not great D men...who make mistakes, then have good runs and then periods of mediocre play.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Good point.

But overall, we are still desperate to have that mistake free stud who eats up 27 minutes a game, scoring game changing goals and while punishing opponents with barely contained rage.

We have a collection of good, but not great D men...who make mistakes, then have good runs and then periods of mediocre play.

That is kinda how this organization has been for as long as I can remember. I don't know if the Canucks have ever had a true NHL #1 great Dman. Would be nice if they got lucky and were able to draft one in the second or third round like Nashville did. GMMG needs to stop throwing our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks away.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Garrison started the year in his Altered Beast form and isn't looking back.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
You're wrong. Clearly he's the biggest bust of the 2012 UFA Class, and everyone knows it!

But seriously yes, I agree. Studly back there both defensively and offensively.

Who originally made that claim about Garrison? I keep seeing it referred to, but I never saw/read/heard the initial comment.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
If they had someone better than Ramo or MacDonald between the pipes, IMO, they would be winning a bit more. Their defense is also pretty ramshackle after Giordano, Wideman and Brodie.

You're always teaching me new and fun words. :)

Gonna use this one one the kids tonight when describing the state of their bedrooms..... see what kind of reaction I get. My oldest will probably give me a confused look (he's been really good at that lately) and say "cool name for a song or a band".

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Who originally made that claim about Garrison? I keep seeing it referred to, but I never saw/read/heard the initial comment.

The TSN panel did mid way through last year, even though Garrison was by then playing like the Canucks' best defenseman. There was a question about the biggest UFA disappointment from the 2012 offseason and at least a couple of them chose Garrison.

Hell, you still hear them talk about his "disappointing" season last year scoring at "only" a 14 goal pace.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Like the fact that we won this one with our depth. Curious to see how they matchup against the better teams like Chicago, Detroit, etc..

Well, we did face SJ in the opener and that didn't turn out to well. Hopefully as time goes on the players become more comfortable with Tort's system.

Wetcoaster

Edm will be a very different team with RNH and Gagner in the line up. I won't say better though. :)
To win Edmonton will have to outscore their goaltending and defensive weaknesses to win games. Not only is the D corps weak but the "Young Guns" do not have a clue about playing defensively.

I think it was Hrudey who said that is the problem with the top draft picks, most times they never had to learn to play D and they were left alone to freelance. Those are hard habits to break. We saw that problem with Hodgson.

Wetcoaster

I guess Torts is also blind considering Edler led the team in minutes. It's not like I'm the only one with this opinion, you can read back a few pages for other reviews of the game.

And 'call it like it is'? Sorry if I don't jump on every bandwagon. Like when three games ago our 3rd line sucked and now those same people are drooling over Santorelli and Richardson.
Or how people are re-writing history on AV who was the best coach in franchise history with myths abut how he dis not make in-game adjustments, the team never came back, did not use timeouts, never juggled lines, defended "leads" when the team was trailing, etc.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Yeah, Garrison had his early butterflies but settled in nicely and has continued that path. It is almost crime worthy that AV mismanaged him so badly with respects to PP time and usage.

It was amazing how our PP was doing so bad yet Garrison sometime didn't even see action on the 2nd unit (forget the first) last year. Without a doubt another example of why a coaching change was really needed... and probably needed before last season but a cup run bought AV 2 seasons, instead of just 1.

To win Edmonton will have to outscore their goaltending and defensive weaknesses to win games. Not only is the D corps weak but the "Young Guns" do not have a clue about playing defensively.

I think it was Hrudey who said that is the problem with the top draft picks, most times they never had to learn to play D and they were left alone to freelance. Those are hard habits to break. We saw that problem with Hodgson.

Lets just hope Edmonton doesn't get a respected defensive coach (i.e. someone like hitchcock) anytime soon. Of course with all the injuries their "young guns" seem to be accumulating, it might not matter in a few years.

Wetcoaster

Well, we did face SJ in the opener and that didn't turn out to well. Hopefully as time goes on the players become more comfortable with Tort's system.
As Tortorella noted that was a 2-1 game for the most part and it got away at the end. Also San Jose does not have a new coach and is not implementing new systems.

Wetcoaster

The biggest question was answered last night - is Eddie Lack a capable NHL back-up to Roberto Luongo?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Just wanted to chime in - Brad Richardson reminds me of Hansen. He has a motor that doesn't quit and it's easy to see why his advanced stats indicates he's a puck possession monster. Great pick-up, he's on pace to being one of the best 3rd/4th liners in the NHL.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The TSN panel did mid way through last year, even though Garrison was by then playing like the Canucks' best defenseman. There was a question about the biggest UFA disappointment from the 2012 offseason and at least a couple of them chose Garrison.

Hell, you still hear them talk about his "disappointing" season last year scoring at "only" a 14 goal pace.

Thanks. That's pretty funny. I may recall that now, but I have wiped most memories from last season from my mind.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
Just wanted to chime in - Brad Richardson reminds me of Hansen. He has a motor that doesn't quit and it's easy to see why his advanced stats indicates he's a puck possession monster. Great pick-up, he's on pace to being one of the best 3rd/4th liners in the NHL.

I could not agree more. Maybe not about the Hansen comparison, but he is a possession monster. Anyone stating the guy is not a good fit, deserves demotion or the press box really doesn't know the game very well. He is all over the place, constantly winning battles, and stripping the other team of the puck. He's also not prone himself being stripped and has the ability and confidence to take a few strides with the puck to make a play. Great addition to the bottom 6.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Even against Calgary I thought Santorelli played well. That one shift where he battled 1 on 3 on the forecheck and kept the puck in there for 30 seconds or so, for example. Scored a few in pre-season, great work ethic and I liked his post game interview, seems to have a great attitude.

Stanton, Richardson and Santorelli have all been pleasant surprises so far. Bottom six contributed a lot to that win last night, that's encouraging to me.

Thought Lack looked little tentative out there last night at times which probably isn't unexpected for a first start in the NHL, but overall thought he played well. Kept us in it with some key saves at the right time.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Even against Calgary I thought Santorelli played well. That one shift where he battled 1 on 3 on the forecheck and kept the puck in there for 30 seconds or so, for example. Scored a few in pre-season, great work ethic and I liked his post game interview, seems to have a great attitude.

Stanton, Richardson and Santorelli have all been pleasant surprises so far. Bottom six contributed a lot to that win last night, that's encouraging to me.

Thought Lack looked little tentative out there last night at times which probably isn't unexpected for a first start in the NHL, but overall thought he played well. Kept us in it with some key saves at the right time.

It's not only his first NHL start but he also missed most of last season. A pretty encouraging debut for a guy who hasn't played meaningful hockey for a long time. I thought he improved as the game went along which is a very good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad