GDT: Game 28 - Ottawa Senators @ San Jose Sharks - 7:00 PM

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I stand by my Dell worship.

Okay, I meant to ask earlier. You make sarcastic comments all the time with no emojis, and you said earlier that Dell was a superior goaltender to Martin Jones. Was that sarcastic or serious?

He has 31 games played, 25 starts, 16 wins, 16-9-2, 1.90 GAA, .933 SV%, 3 SO over his career. They say that when the sample size is equal to 30, the data presents a realistic picture of the future. I know that isn't always the case in hockey, and I don't think Dell's career will play out like this, but I quite honestly feel more comfortable with Dell in net than Jones. I wouldn't call him the better goaltender until he can do this over the same sample size as Jones has (and does what Jones does in the playoffs) but I just quite honestly feel more comfortable with Dell in net right now than I do with Jones.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
50/50. Dell's positioning is equal, if not better. I also have some beef with Jones's mental game at times like he gets lazy or kinda spaces out a little so he's just a touch slow on his reactions or slightly off angles. Which is kinda evident in the fact that Jones gets it on in the playoffs where concentration is maxed out.

But Dell is small, a little less athletic, and hasn't had to play long strings of NHL games yet.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Never forget 1st line Zubrus was a thing. Hehe
Which is why I was dead against signing Zubrus at first. I thought he'd be used as a top 9 player, when it was clear from his last 1.5 seasons in Jersey that he was finished. And he was in the top 9, but it was only for like a week or so. He was so slow by that point, Pavelski and Thornton looked like they hit the nitrous button on their skates when skating with him haha.

Reactions: slocal and Phu

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Okay, I meant to ask earlier. You make sarcastic comments all the time with no emojis, and you said earlier that Dell was a superior goaltender to Martin Jones. Was that sarcastic or serious?

He has 31 games played, 25 starts, 16 wins, 16-9-2, 1.90 GAA, .933 SV%, 3 SO over his career. They say that when the sample size is equal to 30, the data presents a realistic picture of the future. I know that isn't always the case in hockey, and I don't think Dell's career will play out like this, but I quite honestly feel more comfortable with Dell in net than Jones. I wouldn't call him the better goaltender until he can do this over the same sample size as Jones has (and does what Jones does in the playoffs) but I just quite honestly feel more comfortable with Dell in net right now than I do with Jones.
50/50. Dell's positioning is equal, if not better. I also have some beef with Jones's mental game at times like he gets lazy or kinda spaces out a little so he's just a touch slow on his reactions or slightly off angles. Which is kinda evident in the fact that Jones gets it on in the playoffs where concentration is maxed out.

But Dell is small, a little less athletic, and hasn't had to play long strings of NHL games yet.
I really like Dell, but he strikes me as the type of guy that if you were to make him a starter, those numbers would come crashing down pretty fast. Almost all of the really good backups show a regression when they move somewhere to be a starter. Scott Darling is the latest example. He looks like a real mess on most of these nights for Carolina. Even Jones has yet to have another season like that .930+ season he had as a rookie backup in limited action in LA. Schneider was almost a .930 goaltender in Vancouver and while still great in New Jersey, has been a .920 guy since being a starter in New Jersey, even though the shot counter robs a lot of saves there, throughout a whole season. Rask had a couple insane seasons while Thomas was still in Boston, had a couple great ones after that (one of them was the lockout shortened season), then dropped off a bunch. Talbot was pretty great as the Rangers backup, was still good with the Oilers, but hasn't been a .925-.930 guy there, that he was as the Rangers backup.

So I'm a little skeptical that Dell would play out of his mind as a starter.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Reimer was damn good in his short time here.
He's another guy that looks like he's much better when playing as a backup. He fluctuates too much from year to year. He actually played good for Florida last season, starting a lot of games. He's been a dumpster fire in Florida this year, while Luongo was playing amazingly before he got injured. I've never been a Reimer fan. Too inconsistent from year to year and fails the eye test a lot when you watch him. He played a great 12 games (or whatever it was) for the Sharks 2 years ago, but even Stalock had a great 24 games here in 13-14. I totally prefer Dell to Reimer, but he's still played in a lot fewer games. Tonight was only Dell's 31st career NHL game and 25th career NHL start. I'm a big fan of playing Dell more than last year. There's no reason Jones should play more than 60 games, with how well Dell has played over the last two years.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I really like Dell, but he strikes me as the type of guy that if you were to make him a starter, those numbers would come crashing down pretty fast. Almost all of the really good backups show a regression when they move somewhere to be a starter. Scott Darling is the latest example. He looks like a real mess on most of these nights for Carolina. Even Jones has yet to have another season like that .930+ season he had as a rookie backup in limited action in LA. Schneider was almost a .930 goaltender in Vancouver and while still great in New Jersey, has been a .920 guy since being a starter in New Jersey, even though the shot counter robs a lot of saves there, throughout a whole season. Rask had a couple insane seasons while Thomas was still in Boston, had a couple great ones after that (one of them was the lockout shortened season), then dropped off a bunch. Talbot was pretty great as the Rangers backup, was still good with the Oilers, but hasn't been a .925-.930 guy there, that he was as the Rangers backup.

So I'm a little skeptical that Dell would play out of his mind as a starter.

Oh yeah, I'm not thinking Dell is a long term .933-1.9 guy. But neither is Jones.

I would rather have Jones, considering he has a proven playoff resume and has proven himself to be a capable starter over the course of 2 full seasons. But I also think Dell could be at about the same level given the chance, tbh.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You could have put me with '15-'16 Pavelski and Thornton and you might have liked me for a second.

I do recall Zubrus scoring in his first game after being put on that line, though.
I remember him having a goal called back, on one of the worst coaches challenge wins I've seen for offsides. It was against the Coyotes, I remember that much.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Ya they're a dumpster fire, and it makes me happy, dirty team. I've hated them since the cross check to Logan's head last year. Last night I thought I saw Anderson push Pavs face into the ice when he was down, nothing came of it so maybe I saw it wrong. Still think they are a dirty team though.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Watched the game on archive.

Thoughts

-meier is showing those flashes that you expect from a blue chipper. Wish he was further along but if he blooms late thats fine.

-tierney is a beast. Certainly turned a corner. Excited everytime he hits the ice.

-pavs and jumbo are slowly coming back.

-justin braun has 12 points

-the team overall looks better when heed slots in. Id like to move on from demelo beyond an extra body.

-glad dell is getting starts. Hes looked really good. But ge had some luck getting a shootout.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
They looking at Burrows or what?

I guess they are just completely ignoring it, which is absolutely f***ing ridiculous. I am outraged at the way the DoPS has treated Sharks players so far this year. Johansen got nothing for his boarding on Vlasic and Burrows gets nothing for this. Dillon gets a game for his slash on Bowey and Meier got fined for "elbowing" Del Zotto? What the f***?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad