GDT: Game 28: Columbus vs. Tampa Bay | 12/3 7PM EST

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Because its fair to judge a team that's winning consistently, not scoring enough, not fighting enough (some people actually come for this), and the fact its a Tuesday night game. This isn't even mentioning the past of the franchise.

What team are you watching dude... the Jackets are anything but consistent..

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Worst fan attendance of the season... If this continues I may drop my belief that Columbus is a great hockey town..

As for RJ, he is playing 100% better than last season, not worth his pay but at least he is trying, and contributing.

If attendance plummets to an 8,000 average, we'll still be ahead of Minnesota during the 1990-91 season (when they went to the SCF).

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
No, that's Bettman's annual spiel to the Board of Governors.

Actually what you are thinking of is how I felt when watching the direction of the GOP, as viewed by 5 GOP governors, on CSPAN the other night. You just spelled it wrong. However that was still more exciting than talking about Jackets attendance.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Worst fan attendance of the season... If this continues I may drop my belief that Columbus is a great hockey town..

As for RJ, he is playing 100% better than last season, not worth his pay but at least he is trying, and contributing.

I hate to break this to you, but Columbus is not, nor has it ever been a great hockey town....unless you believe CBJ/Fox Sports marketing.

Its a nice place to live and we have a hockey team too.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
In my opinion, the great hockey towns of the NHL are places where the fans will come even if the team is hot garbage. It's a short list for sure, but take somewhere like Montreal, even if they are terrible the fans still show. They boo, but they show. Columbus has potential to be a good hockey market, but we know that the casual fan is only going to come down to the rink if the team is good. Either that or maybe the occasional Saturday night if the team is bad. In my opinion, the ticketing folks have all the power in the world to at least give the perception that this is a good hockey market. For example, for games like the one against Tampa Bay, why not take a dynamic pricing approach to it. If the seats aren't selling the few days before a Tuesday game vs a non-marquee opponent, cut the price in half (or at least to the price STH's pay), especially in the lower bowl seating, that way we at least look respectable to the rest of the league. 500-1,000 half price seats sold on gameday certainly beats what looked to be damn near 0 full price seats sold the other night. Not to mention the fact that the club wouldn't end up bleeding so much financially at the end of the season. Maybe the club feels they are above this type of method, perhaps. Just my take, of course.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
In my opinion, the great hockey towns of the NHL are places where the fans will come even if the team is hot garbage. It's a short list for sure, but take somewhere like Montreal, even if they are terrible the fans still show. They boo, but they show. Columbus has potential to be a good hockey market, but we know that the casual fan is only going to come down to the rink if the team is good. Either that or maybe the occasional Saturday night if the team is bad. In my opinion, the ticketing folks have all the power in the world to at least give the perception that this is a good hockey market. For example, for games like the one against Tampa Bay, why not take a dynamic pricing approach to it. If the seats aren't selling the few days before a Tuesday game vs a non-marquee opponent, cut the price in half (or at least to the price STH's pay), especially in the lower bowl seating, that way we at least look respectable to the rest of the league. 500-1,000 half price seats sold on gameday certainly beats what looked to be damn near 0 full price seats sold the other night. Not to mention the fact that the club wouldn't end up bleeding so much financially at the end of the season. Maybe the club feels they are above this type of method, perhaps. Just my take, of course.

I think that the Jackets have done that more in the past than this year, but the problem is it devalues the worth of the season holder's tickets. It's one thing that cheap tickets are available from current ticket holders on Stubhub, but why buy season's tickets for $40 a seat when you can get the same seat for $25 a seat from the Jackets themselves through these special deals?

I've noticed that they've tried to hold a harder line this year and so the rink has been emptier even though season ticket sales had a slight increase. They are probably hoping to increase the value of buying season packages to the consumer - not sure if it will work.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I hate to break this to you, but Columbus is not, nor has it ever been a great hockey town....unless you believe CBJ/Fox Sports marketing.

Its a nice place to live and we have a hockey team too.

The Columbus Chill, with their record minor league hockey sellout streak back in the day, beg to differ with you. That said, this IS an untraditional market for the NHL, but the sport overall is finally taking root statewide.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
The Columbus Chill, with their record minor league hockey sellout streak back in the day, beg to differ with you. That said, this IS an untraditional market for the NHL, but the sport overall is finally taking root statewide.

I totally agree Lee. I wish the CBJ would look at some of the silly stuff the CHILL did to market their product. That was a very entertaining marketing department.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
In my opinion, the great hockey towns of the NHL are places where the fans will come even if the team is hot garbage. It's a short list for sure, but take somewhere like Montreal, even if they are terrible the fans still show.

Sure, it's a short list.

Montreal, Toronto, Philadelphia, NY Rangers. Those are the only four cities that have not had attendance issues at some point in the last 30 years.

San Jose would also be on that list, but they haven't been around long enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad