GDT: Game 28: Arizona Campbells @ Calgary Smiths | 7:00 p.m. MST | FS-A | 98.7 FM

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I love that the 3 biggest pieces we acquired this summer are either perpetually injured (Raanta, Hammer) or just showing up with little drive (Stephan). I love the we have a good forward being put in the press box while mediocre junk takes his spot. I love that some really promising players have been infected with Coyoteitus that dooms them to suck.

A combination of disappointing moves that look good on paper, bad luck, dealing with a new system, and players suffering by being players of a franchise on life support.

It sucks to constantly making tweaks that end up just putting this team in the same spot. f***ing Groundhog Day level shit right here.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Is anyone else starting to not care?

I find myself only halfheartedly paying attention. Now that Keller is not scoring there in not even that to watch for. Sigh. 27 games in.
I had a nice week to two weeks of not caring, then we started playing a little better. It had been a few weeks since I turned a game off early until tonight. I may be back in "f*** this team I'm doing something else during games" mode until they pick it back up to watchable level hockey. I was excited to see strome tonight, and he made a few nice plays, but it still wasn't worth it.

Also the fact that duke has been healthy scratched like 10 times and Derek douchebag Stepan hasn't once is just killing me. He skates around nonchalantly, losing puck battles everywhere he goes, firing pucks inexplicably high and wide of yawning nets, and yet he's one of our core leaders, and no matter how few f***s he gives, he gets top minutes. I wonder if tocchet just gets Stepan and Duclair confused every night. "Hey I should scratch that Duclair guy, he sucks at everything. Hey why is he still on the bench, and why is the guy who scores all the goals in the press box? Huh I'll fix it next game." Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and rt

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
T
I love that the 3 biggest pieces we acquired this summer are either perpetually injured (Raanta, Hammer) or just showing up with little drive (Stephan). I love the we have a good forward being put in the press box while mediocre junk takes his spot. I love that some really promising players have been infected with Coyoteitus that dooms them to suck.

A combination of disappointing moves that look good on paper, bad luck, dealing with a new system, and players suffering by being players of a franchise on life support.

It sucks to constantly making tweaks that end up just putting this team in the same spot. ****ing Groundhog Day level **** right here.

Sums up being a coyotes fan pretty well.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Does Chayka have the guts to trade Stepan? I doubt 27 games on a pathetic team has ruined him in the minds of NHL GMs.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Does Chayka have the guts to trade Stepan? I doubt 27 games on a pathetic team has ruined him in the minds of NHL GMs.

He needs to wake his ass up before we think about trading him. If he doesnt want to play for a non-playoff team he needs to ask for it, which shouldnt be hard for him if he is a "leader". Strome is up, put Devo on the top line, Strome on the 2nd and either scratch Stepan or put his ass on the 4th and see what the reaction is. He wakes up, or says he is done in AZ.

The fact that Duke is being benched while the shitsandwhich is still being chewed on is lunacy. It's Tippet-esq, especially because Duclair is looking more like his 1st season here than the 2nd, which is turning around floating wingers was supposed to be a specialty of RT's. I dont understand it.

There still seems to be a lot going right. The kids seem to be developing for the most part. They lool fast, are gaining confidence, make excellent plays...and then cant finish. I dont know if they can't score because of a lack of talent, experience, motivation, luck or all of the above, but the season is getting concerning. The vets are another story, outside of the refurbished OEL.

I lile RT in interviews. His system looks to be catching on. But I cant tell if tje players have already given up on hin or the season.

I feel like the Avalanche the season after making the playoffs. Where are we now, how do we get out of this, and how do we move forward.

Its bleak.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strome and Stepan could be a good match pace-wise.

Perlini-Dvorak-Keller
Strome-Stepan-Fischer
Domi-Richardson-Duclair
Rinaldo-Martinook-Rieder

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Strome and Stepan could be a good match pace-wise.

Perlini-Dvorak-Keller
Strome-Stepan-Fischer
Domi-Richardson-Duclair
Rinaldo-Martinook-Rieder

Sure, Keller looks a little fast for Strome, but he really needs to be playong center. He has looked good on the dot when stepoing on, and is playing a much more aggresive net front presence than before.

Perlini-Dvorak-Keller
Domi-Strome-Fischer
Reider-Stepan-Duclair
Martinook-Richardson-Rinaldo

Until Stepan decides to play like the player he was for NYR

Reactions: Sthlmyote

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This looks about as bad as Tippett hockey, tonight.

Rather have some preparedness to our game and lose based off of restriction of letting talent roam, as opposed to looking fairly questionable with very little plan.

Someone had mentioned how much our defensemen winding up blindly throwing the puck up, but that is the risk taken with "Move the puck fast and play faster." I think people confuse the "playing fast" mantra is being only related to speed, and not necessarily thinking about how solid positioning and spacing can actually enhance that. Like the 2011-12 team - I don't think we had more speed than this team, but we found areas on the ice with space and that helped make us play faster.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
There still seems to be a lot going right. The kids seem to be developing for the most part.

There was development last year, too. It just gets shrouded in the idea that the coaching last year and in previous years was holding us back in that aspect. Maybe development just doesn't happen with the snap of the fingers.

Even though people are getting upset at Tocchet not playing Duke, this pales in comparison to how upset people got at Tip for the same thing last year. But Tocchet is exciting and is the opposite of Tippett. Or is he just a bad coach who is getting the benefit of the doubt because we allegedly had a bad coach all of these previous years?

Last edited by a moderator:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Harder to score when playing a responsible game. When they start to finish on opportunities, take advantage of pp's, they will start notching W's.
The Duclair situation is a puzzle. I stand by giving him twenty (STRAIGHT) games - again- what can it hurt?

Reactions: Yandover

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Barroway/Chayka are paying for their mistakes. Smith looked great, better then our goalies have looked all year. i suspect teams took us lightly for a while but are now set in their system team play and it just won't get any easier with our helter skelter team play. We have the most talent with the least results of the last 20 years. This exceeds the TGO era so far.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Harder to score when playing a responsible game. When they start to finish on opportunities, take advantage of pp's, they will start notching W's.
The Duclair situation is a puzzle. I stand by giving him twenty (STRAIGHT) games - again- what can it hurt?

I agree. Finishing has been our problem for awhile now. Put Duclair and Domi together to see if Domi can get going. On a positive note, I thought my buddy Strome looked solid, quicker and was involved much more. I don't like him playing wing though. Have to give less minutes to Stepan and Keller.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
:laugh: That was funny. Schenn was doing his part, but why both Richardson and Gogo went behind the net is beyond me. You can't blame the coaching or the system on this simple play.
That's why it was always hard to read those who made fun of Tyson's "head on a swivel" comments - Nick H. has the best swivel on the team - that wouldn't have happened with Nick H. on the ice, unless he was Luke Schenn (positionally speaking).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Barroway/Chayka are paying for their mistakes. Smith looked great, better then our goalies have looked all year. i suspect teams took us lightly for a while but are now set in their system team play and it just won't get any easier with our helter skelter team play. We have the most talent with the least results of the last 20 years. This exceeds the TGO era so far.

In all honestly, we made Smith look great, but he has played well this year. Nothing can compare to the TGO era, nothing, but the way it looks we made to many changes.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's why it was always hard to read those who made fun of Tyson's "head on a swivel" comments - Nick H. has the best swivel on the team - that wouldn't have happened with Nick H. on the ice, unless he was Luke Schenn (positionally speaking).

Nash has forgotten more about hockey than all of us know. He does have some goofy sayings though.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Sure, Keller looks a little fast for Strome, but he really needs to be playong center. He has looked good on the dot when stepoing on, and is playing a much more aggresive net front presence than before.

Perlini-Dvorak-Keller
Domi-Strome-Fischer
Reider-Stepan-Duclair
Martinook-Richardson-Rinaldo

Until Stepan decides to play like the player he was for NYR

I really like the looks of that lineup, on paper. A top 6 with average age of (around) 20 is not a recipe for success in the NHL. 1 guy over 24 in the top 9? The league is getting younger and younger but not this young. Love the speed and talent but it is not working. Combine the youth with a D that includes 3 AHL level players and we are what we are.

Trouble is there is not really a fix without trading some of the young talent. Swapping out some of the few veterans on the team is not going to bring much help back.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I had a nice week to two weeks of not caring, then we started playing a little better. It had been a few weeks since I turned a game off early until tonight. I may be back in "**** this team I'm doing something else during games" mode until they pick it back up to watchable level hockey. I was excited to see strome tonight, and he made a few nice plays, but it still wasn't worth it.

Also the fact that duke has been healthy scratched like 10 times and Derek *****ebag Stepan hasn't once is just killing me. He skates around nonchalantly, losing puck battles everywhere he goes, firing pucks inexplicably high and wide of yawning nets, and yet he's one of our core leaders, and no matter how few ****s he gives, he gets top minutes. I wonder if tocchet just gets Stepan and Duclair confused every night. "Hey I should scratch that Duclair guy, he sucks at everything. Hey why is he still on the bench, and why is the guy who scores all the goals in the press box? Huh I'll fix it next game." Rinse and repeat.

My knock on RT is that he has not held the vets accountable for their play. Sure Duke has his faults, but the way the vets started the season, a couple should have been scratched to grab their attention. They are not worried about their job.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
[QUOTE="Grimes, post: 138530905, member: 14593]There still seems to be a lot going right. The kids seem to be developing for the most part.

There was development last year, too. It just gets shrouded in the idea that the coaching last year and in previous years was holding us back in that aspect. Maybe development just doesn't happen with the snap of the fingers.

Even though people are getting upset at Tocchet not playing Duke, this pales in comparison to how upset people got at Tip for the same thing last year. But Tocchet is exciting and is the opposite of Tippett. Or is he just a bad coach who is getting the benefit of the doubt because we allegedly had a bad coach all of these previous years?[/QUOTE]

Good post.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I think I nodded off about 5 times last night. Now, it could have been the dream-state I was in, but I think I had flashbacks to DT times. Team gets to offensive zone, 2-3 players go behind the net and play keep away from opposing team. Someone attempts a shot (if they can hold onto the puck), misses way wide, opponent gets puck. When I was a wake, this was the first game in many seasons that I was yelling at the television. I should have just quit watching about midway through the 2nd, but I'm a Coyotes fan, so I punish myself by continuing to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00