GDT: Game 27: Columbus at Edmonton | 12/13 9PM

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Oiler fan here. You guys have a great team. I see playoffs and who knows what else. We were tired but you completely owned us in the 3rd. I think we had 2 or 3 shots
Hey...thanks for that. Some of the backstory we heard in Columbus was that the Edmonton local papers made a point of the disparity of games. The Oilers were tired, the Jackets were fresher. The podcast I listened to was that the media was building in an excuse if the Oilers should happen to lose the game. That was the opinion of the host. You are there and can form your own opinion on that.

From watching CBJ hockey all these years, there are two things that have made all the difference. First is the #1 D pairing of Seth Jones and Zack Werenski. They can carry the puck out safely, they suppress shots (lift sticks, etc.) and make the stretch pass that create so much pressure on the counter attack. That has moved Jack Johnson and David Savard to the correct skill position of #2 D pair. They are not called upon to do too much - they can stop the rush and make the opponent try to gain the zone again, and again and again. Just my opinion, Edmonton still has not done enough to build the skill and mobility on the blueline. Larson helps, and Nurse is out, and Klefbom is just okay so far. The skill disparity between front and back is too large to win consistently.

The second CBJ solve has been the Tortorella Training Camp Death March. Pre-season record was awful. Legs were gone. But in the final week of camp he tapered off. Players recovered and were better for it. CBJ has a league high 19 back-to-backs this year. Had 18 last year. They wanted better conditioning for late in games and that 2nd night. Once 3rd period success began, it just feeds upon itsself, just like bad things spiral the opposite way.

Bob is back to doing what we knew he could.

See the Oilers in Columbus on 1-3-17. Till then - best of luck.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Oiler fan here. You guys have a great team. I see playoffs and who knows what else. We were tired but you completely owned us in the 3rd. I think we had 2 or 3 shots

As I mentioned on your thread blupye, I see some similarities between these teams.. the Oil may be one of the few teams that Columbus is older than. Both skate fast, pass well. Our Goalie stood up last night & Talbot had a let down. Entertaining game though. Wasn't following some of the oil posts that said the game was fixed, or that the NHL wants the Oil to lose? what is that all about?

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
As I mentioned on your thread blupye, I see some similarities between these teams.. the Oil may be one of the few teams that Columbus is older than. Both skate fast, pass well. Our Goalie stood up last night & Talbot had a let down. Entertaining game though. Wasn't following some of the oil posts that said the game was fixed, or that the NHL wants the Oil to lose? what is that all about?

Well you have to understand us Oiler fans. We have gone thru hell the last 10 years. Hockey is religion in Canada. I live on the east coast of Canada and us Oiler fans around here are pissed off. Can you imagine in Edmonton. When we were 7 & 1, people were walking around with their chests stuck out and everything was good. Now we are back to Suckville and fans are freaking again. Hard to believe but we pay 6 mil each to Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle. They are not worth 4 mil each. We need a true # 1 Dman and someone who can score. We don't have secondary scoring. If we didn't have McDavid, we would be in last place

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Well you have to understand us Oiler fans. We have gone thru hell the last 10 years.

You know....stop right there. So you are saying our 16 years has been peaches & cream??

Hockey is religion in Canada. I live on the east coast of Canada and us Oiler fans around here are pissed off. Can you imagine in Edmonton.

I'll give you this. Columbus is not a traditional market. We understand it's different. But to fans that really, really care - the pain and years are just as real. Fewer in Columbus than your hood, but no less real.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Well you have to understand us Oiler fans. We have gone thru hell the last 10 years.

Highway is hard to walk and rifle is heavy to carry,
you were taken by a recruiter, you were taken by a recruiter,
rifle is heavy to carry.

They conscripted the boy to the crown's force,
conscript.

When you do not know to whom give your heart,
whom give your heart.

Sun valvari vei.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Well you have to understand us Oiler fans. We have gone thru hell the last 10 years. Hockey is religion in Canada. I live on the east coast of Canada and us Oiler fans around here are pissed off. Can you imagine in Edmonton. When we were 7 & 1, people were walking around with their chests stuck out and everything was good. Now we are back to Suckville and fans are freaking again. Hard to believe but we pay 6 mil each to Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle. They are not worth 4 mil each. We need a true # 1 Dman and someone who can score. We don't have secondary scoring. If we didn't have McDavid, we would be in last place

From my personal perspective the Oil have been given a great deal.. you have won all the lotteries, drafted all the #1 picks/ but concentrated your drafts on forwards almost exclusively. I enjoy watching your hockey team play and was a teenager for Mess, Gretz, Kurri, Coffey and Fuhr so your franchise has had greatness. Listening to a team complain that has the opportunity to draft Conner McDavid, Taylor Hall, Nail Yakapov, Nugent Hopkins, not to mention Draisaitl, Puljurvi - makes me think some how these talents have not been utilized correctly. just my 2 pennies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Personally I think there were no significant injuries as the last time the same excuse was used was in spring as why Puljujärvi didn't qualify for World Championship or World Cup team likewise to Aho and Laine despite continuing to play all the way through the spring 'with minor injuries'. Barkov junior for example had in his draft season a serious injury which took him out of the SM-liiga play-offs but did not exactly render him out of his talent the next autumn.

There are then non-marketing terms for Puljujärvi's recent displays such as biting the scabbard or scratching. It can happen when you feature in four and six games losing efforts in a row during the last couple months or contribute with one goal in every twenty or so games.

I believe what Aho and Nutivaara have done in their rookie seasons is impressive. It should not be taken for granted that SM-liiga champions with so peculiar skillsets can fill a hopscotsch efficiently and early on, adjusting from a meidän peli playbook to hockey of the coniferous forests, something which Puljujärvi has not even had to adapt hence his relatively successful beginning in the NHL.

I came to read how Columbus is doing and can't believe you are STILL going on with this same agenda against Puljujarvi. Yes he's still a young developing player, but it would not be wrong to say that considering the ice time he has been more useful to his team 5on5 compared to Laine. Their ppg/60 min stats are identical, but Laine's mistakes have cost at least five goals now. I wonder what you would write about Pulju if he'd made all those mistakes, especially the own goal. Fortunately Laine has been great on PP and also scored more than his mistakes have cost 5on5.

Puljujarvi is at Edmonton's top4 in every main /60 min stat (including #2 at 1st assists) except for scoring goals, so he definitely hasn't been as bad as you keep saying. I don't understand how you can keep praising Laine and diminishing Pulju (and Dubois), while you admitted you haven't seen a single game from them this year.

Anyway, I hope Dubois will play well at WJC, which should give positive energy for the spring season as well.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Let's cut to the chase. The biggest improvement in the CBJ this year has been our defense. Jones wasn't here for the first half of last season, Werenski turned out to be a stud. Johnson and Savard are playing much better as a second pairing than a first. Nutivaara was an unexpected play starter. And Murray hasn't been bad either. Not to mention, we haven't had to play Prout or Golobef (no longer with the team) much at all.

THAT is the biggest difference between the Oil and this year's CBJ. Edmonton has all the speed and offensive capabilities that we do (and yes, I happen to think our goalie is better)

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Good idea. He would be well served to play some big minutes in the AHL for a while.

Loved when Porty asked Torts about the slow starts lately :laugh:

Was that when torts said interview over and left the room? I was wondering which reporter (was it Porty?)asked the question

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Was that when torts said interview over and left the room? I was wondering which reporter (was it Porty?)asked the question

Yes it was definitely Porty. I'm not good at linking stuff but someone asked him on his twitter about it. Basically said something like Torts didn't like his question and it's the first time he saw the old Torts. Porty basically told him to relax and that Torts isn't going to like every question he gets. Blew it off as no big deal.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Puljujarvi isn't anything right now - but he definitely will be once he adds some strength. He doesn't have an NHL physique yet. He'll likely be sent to the AHL at the 40 game limit.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I came to read how Columbus is doing and can't believe you are STILL going on with this same agenda against Puljujarvi. Yes he's still a young developing player, but it would not be wrong to say that considering the ice time he has been more useful to his team 5on5 compared to Laine. Their ppg/60 min stats are identical, but Laine's mistakes have cost at least five goals now. I wonder what you would write about Pulju if he'd made all those mistakes, especially the own goal. Fortunately Laine has been great on PP and also scored more than his mistakes have cost 5on5.

I believe in making mistakes. How else Laine could have ever been such a great offensive talent than through making mistakes?

You do not understand the play. To you it was a coincidence that meidän peli playbook brought Finland gold in the WJC and Puljujärvi MVP award alongside Aho and Laine who have done very well in the NHL without continuing to enjoy the same advantage.

I believe in playing a role in a team. Puljujärvi has not played Aho's or Laine's key role anywhere yet. I do not believe in points/60 minutes as it is far easier to shine in those if you do not play a great deal of minutes. Even in junior tournaments it is easier for someone with his, NHL ready, physique to play.

What do you want? I have already said that Puljujärvi, given his talent level, has already surpassed the expectations this season and will be a NHL player. Cannot you be happy for a player if he is not surrounded by hype? If he is just a NHL player earning decent living, nothing special? No offensive juggernaut. I doubt I will be the one whose judgment you will then have to accept.

:,: Long we have suffered hunger and cold
Fighting in the Balkan mountains. :,:
:,: Oi Precious homeland, Finland sweet North,
There is no land more dear to us :,:

:,: The music played as our boys marched
to the walls of Gornij Dubnjak. :,:
:,: Oi precious homeland, Finland sweet North,

:,: Boys lie buried in the sands of the Balkan :,:
On the other side of the Danube :,:
:,: Oi precious homeland, Finland sweet North,

:,: If our bodies die, then our souls remain
a heritage for our beloved birthland* :,:
:,: Oi precious homeland**, Finland sweet North,
[/I]

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I believe in making mistakes. How else Laine could have ever been such a great offensive talent than through making mistakes?

I do not believe in points/60 minutes as it is far easier to shine in those if you do not play a great deal of minutes. Even in junior tournaments it is easier for someone with his, NHL ready, physique to play.

Cannot you be happy for a player if he is not surrounded by hype?

You could also say that if Laine wasn't allowed to make those mistakes, he might have a hard time in scorin and even staying in NHL. So it's good for him and the Finnish hockey that he has such a secure position. But even you have to admit that five bad goal costing mistakes in 32 games is a lot. And you would for sure use that against Puljujarvi if that was the other way around.

As for the hype, it's absolutely ridiculous you always say that. Who cares about the hypes.

I comment one more thing, then I let this be, as it's not related to the thread. It's actually more difficult to shine in /60 min stats when you play with worse players, constantly changing line mates, in fear that one mistake can take you to AHL or get benched, without PP time and constant playing rhythm. These more than balance the fact that you have fresher legs with less minutes.

But why would I argue with you as I know it's not leading anywhere. Your thought patterns are too strong to be changed and so be it.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I comment one more thing, then I let this be, as it's not related to the thread. It's actually more difficult to shine in /60 min stats when you play with worse players, constantly changing line mates, in fear that one mistake can take you to AHL or get benched, without PP time and constant playing rhythm. These more than balance the fact that you have fresher legs with less minutes.

I thought Puljujärvi was given a chance to play next to the NHL point leader Connor McDavid. Too bad minor injuries, apparently suffered near the popcorn machine took away that chance... Was it the four or six game losing streak for Puljujärvi when next to McDavid? Different line-mates and fear of mistakes is business as usual. Playing with worse players... you were kinda drafted to be the better player.

I still believe in playing a role in a team. Laine, Aho and Nutivaara played a notable role last season. They continue to fill a hopscotch despite adapting to the NHL and non-meidän peli playbooks.

Puljujärvi's main forte is (and should be) his physique as in skating, (ice ball background) and perhaps even strength given that Puljujärvi has had a professional contract since the age of thirteen. He also had the rare chance of continuing in a meidän peli playbook so there should not be such an adaption period, compared to jungle ice hockey or hockey of the coniferous forests for example.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I thought Puljujärvi was given a chance to play next to the NHL point leader Connor McDavid. Too bad minor injuries, apparently suffered near the popcorn machine took away that chance... Was it the four or six game losing streak for Puljujärvi when next to McDavid?

I think they won three games out of three (could be all four, but I think they lost one game). Puljujarvi played those games at ppg and McDavid scored 4+5 after eight games with no goals. But no, I don't think Pulju is a perfect player either. I had to say these to correct your "facts" but I'm gone now. You can freely keep spreading your lies and your enthusiasm about Laine now. I know it will keep pouring.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
etupl1401SP_820_sm.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad