GDT: [Game #26] Dallas Stars vs. Toronto Maple Leafs - 7:30 PM CT (ESPN+)

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Those maps look just like the contour maps I used to draw, so they make sense to me. I agree that what doesn't make sense is why we stopped playing the way that made us successful earlier. Hopefully, just a slump and not an ongoing downward trend.

Reactions: Elysian

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I remember listening to a podcast that said Oettinger's rebound control early in the season was otherworldly, like lightyears ahead of the next closest goalie at the time. So Oettinger might have been making the defense looks better then it was earlier in the season too.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I remember listening to a podcast that said Oettinger's rebound control early in the season was otherworldly, like lightyears ahead of the next closest goalie at the time. So Oettinger might have been making the defense looks better then it was earlier in the season too.
That wouldn't effect the defense charts much, IMO. Those charts are based on shot location and the danger of said shots. We're letting in a ton more shots right in the crease lately, that is pretty obvious by the eye test.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Either they take penalties trying to clear the slot or they give up shots from the slot.

Or they just get better at keeping the puck away from the places Oettinger struggles with. Which they are failing at because teams are Getting Good™.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
That wouldn't effect the defense charts much, IMO. Those charts are based on shot location and the danger of said shots. We're letting in a ton more shots right in the crease lately, that is pretty obvious by the eye test.

Yes it would? Plenty of scoring chances from high danger areas come off of rebounds.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Yes it would? Plenty of scoring chances from high danger areas come off of rebounds.
How many is plenty? I don't think Oetter is giving up so many rebounds to cause the deep red we're seeing in the crease. This is what Oetter's saving looks like this season:

1670536654329.png

That doesn't lead me to believe there's tons of high danger chances coming off rebounds.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
How many is plenty? I don't think Oetter is giving up so many rebounds to cause the deep red we're seeing in the crease.

I don't know - that would be an interesting thing to quantify (I'm assuming it's already done somewhere). I'd be surprised if it wasn't a noticeable effect, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad