GDT: [Game #26] Dallas Stars vs. Toronto Maple Leafs - 7:30 PM CT (ESPN+)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nothing surprising about that one. At least it's the last time we play Toronto this season. Don't know why we can do literally nothing against them

Unfortunately the Sens are usually an automatic loss for us too and they're next

Reactions: The Tourist

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Oetter needs some confidence again. Not that they were all his fault, but I’ve seen him capable of stopping all of those when he’s on.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I finally saw a replay of the Matthews goal. I'm shocked Gurianov played another shift after that effort. He's skating at about half speed the entire time Matthews circled with the puck. He's such a lazy ass.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I finally saw a replay of the Matthews goal. I'm shocked Gurianov played another shift after that effort. He's skating at about half speed the entire time Matthews circled with the puck. He's such a lazy ass.
hopefully this is the last year of trying to make him work as an NHL player

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Just watched 2/3 of the game before cutting it…

Props to Murray for a great game; a mix of good saves and missed shots/no puck luck for Dallas hurt. Was really fun to see the Stars team run this wild offensively with a team like Toronto though. Game would’ve been different had we hit a goal while down 1-0/2-0.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I'd love to know why we shit the bed against Toronto every single time we play them. Doesn't matter if it's home or away, day or night, week night or weekend, whether they're good or bad that season, etc. They're the only team I just won't even bother watching when we play em, it's always a pathetic effort no matter the circumstances.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Yeah we’re the most penalized team (our own fault), Oettinger has had a bad stretch but f***ing Suter is our kryptonite; not only making his own mistakes but dragging everyone else down.

Reactions: Elysian

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I'd love to know why we shit the bed against Toronto every single time we play them. Doesn't matter if it's home or away, day or night, week night or weekend, whether they're good or bad that season, etc. They're the only team I just won't even bother watching when we play em, it's always a pathetic effort no matter the circumstances.
I wouldn’t say it was a pathetic effort tonight; Murray was just awesome.

Again I’m fired Suter still has a spot on the PP and top minutes. It wasn’t just a puck hoping over/off his stick turnover, he just gave it away, twice.

Last edited:

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I wouldn’t say it was a pathetic effort tonight; Murray was just awesome.

Again I’m fired Suter still has a spot on the PP and top minutes. It wasn’t just a puck hoping over/off his stick turnover, he just gave it away, twice.
Maybe effort wasn't the right word on my part, but the results against Toronto speak for themselves. Murray being awesome was definitely an unexpected plot twist though :laugh:

It would be nice if DeBoer was capable of benching Suter, but we all know that will never happen. Not sure why he's our go-to defenseman in crucial moments, but he just doesn't have the wheels anymore

Reactions: Dynamite Time

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They've gotten goalies quite a bit this year. Sucks happened against the Leafs

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I'm taking a week off from this team. They're just pissing me off lately with their predictable habit of absolutely falling apart vs teams that play with speed.

See y'all in a week or so.

Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Maybe effort wasn't the right word on my part, but the results against Toronto speak for themselves. Murray being awesome was definitely an unexpected plot twist though :laugh:

It would be nice if DeBoer was capable of benching Suter, but we all know that will never happen. Not sure why he's our go-to defenseman in crucial moments, but he just doesn't have the wheels anymore
Suter came on late after Heiskanen and Lundkvist had both had a long shift. I agree Suter isn’t good, but the other options aren’t either. Getting more Hakanpaa and Lindell late in a game isn’t better than Suter.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Suter came on late after Heiskanen and Lundkvist had both had a long shift. I agree Suter isn’t good, but the other options aren’t either. Getting more Hakanpaa and Lindell late in a game isn’t better than Suter.
Lindell is a better option if only because he's not as slow as Suter. Suter is a terrible option if there's even a chance he has to skate back.

Reactions: LT

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Yeah I can't really argue with that, although Lindell has his moments once in a blue moon. Only other alternative would be to have Miller fire rockets from the point into shinpads I guess. Man, after Miro and Nils our offense from the blue line is pretty shitty. Harley will be an improvement when he gets here, but when he has gotten time in Dallas in the past he never really stood out to me at least.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm taking a week off from this team. They're just pissing me off lately with their predictable habit of absolutely falling apart vs teams that play with speed.

See y'all in a week or so.
You suffered through the the 4th year of ruff, Hitchcock, Montgomery and Bowness and decided that this is the team that pushed you to the point of taking a week off?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You suffered through the the 4th year of ruff, Hitchcock, Montgomery and Bowness and decided that this is the team that pushed you to the point of taking a week off?
lmao this is so real

1670509717355.png

what a beautiful sight

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It was instructive to watch how both teams played D. Toronto had 23 blocks, most because they kept a tight diamond of D men in front of the goalies. We have certainly lost whatever defense structure we had early in the year, with D men far on the perimeters in loose formation while Taveres and Matthews are skating down the middle. If we had the firepower of TOR, we could probably have won more in Bones' system. I don't want to go back to that, but we need to perhaps glide back to the middle of the D/O balance.

While Otter is clearly off his hot streak, and down to a mid pack goalie at the moment (he will return at some point to his top form) I still place most of the recent goals against responsibility on our D. Vs. Toronto, the 3 goals against him probably totaled from 30-40 feet of distance, or an average of 10-12 feet out, and he got beat by two elite scorers from in tight, similar to the goals given up against MN. Goalies are gonna get beat from there. Yes, a few came from his lack of rebound control and those mad scrambles, but even then, earlier in the year our D (including forwards) were getting to and clearing those pucks more often than they are currently.

Reactions: Elysian

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
It was instructive to watch how both teams played D. Toronto had 23 blocks, most because they kept a tight diamond of D men in front of the goalies. We have certainly lost whatever defense structure we had early in the year, with D men far on the perimeters in loose formation while Taveres and Matthews are skating down the middle. If we had the firepower of TOR, we could probably have won more in Bones' system. I don't want to go back to that, but we need to perhaps glide back to the middle of the D/O balance.

While Otter is clearly off his hot streak, and down to a mid pack goalie at the moment (he will return at some point to his top form) I still place most of the recent goals against responsibility on our D. Vs. Toronto, the 3 goals against him probably totaled from 30-40 feet of distance, or an average of 10-12 feet out, and he got beat by two elite scorers from in tight, similar to the goals given up against MN. Goalies are gonna get beat from there. Yes, a few came from his lack of rebound control and those mad scrambles, but even then, earlier in the year our D (including forwards) were getting to and clearing those pucks more often than they are currently.
HockeyViz put out animated graphs of our 5v5 scoring and our defense, and the defense one was pretty eye opening. I can't post it here, but this is how it started:

1670513310620.png

By October 19th it looked like this:

1670513424483.png

And this is how it's going:

1670513341875.png

Your guess is as good as mine why we stopped defending the crease...

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad