GDT: Game 26: Columbus vs. New York Islanders | 12/10 7PM

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Here is the part that shocked/surprised me. Early in the game, like 8:00 in the 1st, the shots were 8-1 for the NYI. About the 8-12 minute mark of the 2nd period, the CBJ began to assert themselves and established a 3-4 shot lead.

The final shots ended up 39-30 CBJ. Than means for the final 52 minutes of hockey, the CBJ gave up 22 shots All of the puck movement, think the game faster, safe is death strategies are helping get more shots. But what really bodes well for this team is THE SHOT SUPPRESSION. I know the entire league thinks of Coach Tortorella as a "block that shot - one trick pony". But what is actually occurring is the defensive spacing, the forwards back checking, and lifting of sticks (and yes, some shot blocking) that are holding down the number of total shots overall.

When you think about it, it only stands to reason. First, John Tavares is a really, really good player. And second, this was the first time this year that the Jackets had seen this iteration of the NYI. It took them a while to settle in against the NYI scheme and attack.

Scoring wins games - defense wins championships.

The other thing is the Islanders played really, really well for the first ten minutes or so. Their one goal was a fluke, but they were making crisp passes and flying up and down the ice. The Jackets weren't playing poorly, the Islanders were just playing great. And then at some point all the wind went out of their sails, and the Jackets were able to take control and dominate by the third period.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I couldnt watch on NHL.TV because I'm in the blackout zone. I was able to leave for the local sports bar in the 2nd intermission, game tied 2-2. By the time I arrived it was 4-2 Jackets, 8 minutes left.

And I still got to see 2 goals!

Speaking of 3rd periods...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad