GDT: Game 25: Red Wings vs sharks 7:00 pm et 12/7/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I don’t think I can take this teams claims to be trying to contend seriously until edvinsson is on the team over some of these defenders. It was that way before the season and it’s still a problem now. Also I feel like you gotta send husso down or you’re just not serious. Lalonde needed to pull him and call a timeout, pretty awful game from him behind the bench.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The Lalonde hate is crazy

They need to learn how to hold leads BUT they're getting leads... that's step one and a massive step for this team

It was a wacky game. Drawing emotional conclusions from it is silly
This has been an ongoing issue since Blashill was here...Buffalo just a few nights ago?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Now that you mention it - I believe you're right - breakdowns by the Wings led to goals.
The 5th goal was not an odd man rush, it was a bank pass off the endboard. Ghost stayed on his side and never helped out Seider who had to cover 2 guys, Husso got down on his knee even though the puck wasn't headed to the goal. Made it impossible for him to recover.

This is the moment the puck hits the endboard:
capture.png

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sorry you’re right, we have a 3 goal lead against Montreal.
We also never lost the lead against Buffalo.

But I do agree with the underlying point. This team is bad about allowing other teams to claw their way back, sometimes from very deep holes. That’s a sign of a team that still hasn’t fully matured in terms of being truly competitive. But I do think they’re getting closer… a lot of other deficiencies have been cleaned up so far. Still a few to go.

Reactions: jkutswings

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
We also never lost the lead against Buffalo.

But I do agree with the underlying point. This team is bad about allowing other teams to claw their way back, sometimes from very deep holes. That’s a sign of a team that still hasn’t fully matured in terms of being truly competitive. But I do think they’re getting closer… a lot of other deficiencies have been cleaned up so far. Still a few to go.
They got lucky in Buffalo...This isn't a team full of rookies or guys with a few years experience...Coaching, or lack thereof is a primary reason why we see them starting late, or allowing a rival back in the game.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
In THAT game, how the HELL did Lalonde never find it appropriate to use his timeout? That is incredible.
At this point, it's becoming more and more clear that Lalonde is good at prepping and systems, but absolutely clueless with adapting on the fly. Just awful. Zero feel for ebbs and flows and when to fix something that isn't working. Maybe he's just a good assistant coach that needs to stay an assistant...

Reactions: FMichael

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
At this point, it's becoming more and more clear that Lalonde is good at prepping and systems, but absolutely clueless with adapting on the fly. Just awful. Zero feel for ebbs and flows and when to fix something that isn't working. Maybe he's just a good assistant coach that needs to stay an assistant...
Or just demote Husso.

What in the world are you talking about ?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Or just demote Husso.

The team looks and plays lost out there on many nights - either starting late and giving up a few early goals and/or allowing a rival back into the game...Don't get me wrong - this is a better team on paper than what we've seen in recent seasons, but still 'above average' or borderline playoff team IMHO...Right now it seems our quality of coaching hasn't improved since Blashill has been here.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Or just demote Husso.

Guess who tapped Husso on the shoulder to start the game and left him in there the entire time?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It takes weeks for Lalonde to adjust things. He may as well not even go behind the bench during games. He doesn't do anything anyway...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Wings are currently in 10th overall and in a playoff spot and people are bitching about Lalonde?

This loss sucked but let's look at some big picture here of where the Wings are at in the standings and what the talent level of this roster actually is.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wings are currently in 10th overall and in a playoff spot and people are bitching about Lalonde?

This loss sucked but let's look at some big picture here of where the Wings are at in the standings and what the talent level of this roster actually is.
Is that the end goal? In which case, yay. Let's ride this for a few years and see what happens. f*** calling out things that can be improved upon. We've already made it.

By the by, the reasoning provided in your post is just as valid for excusing Husso's performance thus far this year...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

What do you expect when the team losses to the worst team in the entire league?

The team has enough talent to make the playoffs, barring major injuries, if they don't it's entirely on Lalonde.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

The team has enough talent to make the playoffs, barring major injuries, if they don't it's entirely on Lalonde.
Lesson EFFING learned.

That can't be all bad.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Sharks last 6 games before this one

W 4-3 vs. VAN
W 2-1 vs. WSH
L 0-3 vs. BOS
W 6-3 vs. NJD
L 5-6 vs. NYR
W 5-4 vs. NYI

Their only losses came against top 3 teams in the league..

You’re right in terms of big picture, but I am with @norrisnick on this one. The overall success doesn’t give Lalonde and Stevie a pass for not doing the right tweaks to make it even better. There is no doubt in my mind that we would be breathing down Boston‘s neck right now, if

1. Lalonde wasn’t in love with Husso
2. Lalonde had a better feel for situational play
3. Stevie and Lalonde weren’t married to the idea of letting Edvinsson over-marinade

The only reason for us bitching in here is because our expectations have changed based on the way our team has performed. Our situation is good, but could be even better. These deficiencies are costing us points.

In terms of personnel I need my Coach to be a polygamist. „Oh you can’t satisfy me? Let me call in the other one and let him try“ Lyon and Reimer better be getting starts before we see Husso again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murmansk16A

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Man... Defense. What the heck...

First two goals, imo, weak... Break-aways sure, but weak goals one Husso got a piece of and the 2nd should have been an easier glove save.

Third goal wasn't his fault.

4th goal slipped directly under his leg pad he had lifted.

All that said, those goals basically happened with really poor defense in front of him. The easy add at this point and best way to get better is call up Edvisson and to just basically off someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad