Post-Game Talk: GAME #25 - Canucks @ Blue Jackets

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Different set of teams would be want a guy like Schneider vs Luongo (of course, visa-versa). By virtue of that alone, it'll be tough to decide which would fetch more.

Completely agree.

A team like philly would likely value schneider more

A team like toronto or edmonton looking for a proven number 1 who has their own unproven number 1 goalies with good potential would likely value lou more.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
As they say a win is a win. Can't say I'm over the moon with the win a lot of work needs to be done, but was by far the best game of the road trip. Lets hope Anaheim can beat the Wild tonight!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Don't really get all the hate about the Canucks' performance. Outside of a couple of stretches (early 3rd period and part of OT) I thought they had pretty good control of the game and that was reflected in them putting up nearly 40 shots. People can denigrate the Blue Jackets all they want but they're a better team than in recent years now that they've got proper goaltending and are one of the hottest in the league right now. They're a hardworking team that isn't going to give up much defensively.

Scoring is definitely still an issue and I would've liked to have seen more good chances, but if this game was in the middle of an otherwise solid stretch of hockey I wouldn't give it a second thought. They've played far, far worse hockey so far this year than this game and hopefully it's a small step in the right direction.

Defensively we looked horrible tonight, offensively we generated a lot of shots in the 2nd but we weren't really generating many quality scoring chances. This was the Columbus Blue Jackets, how are we going to be against a legitimate playoff team?

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I think some of you might be having a hard time seeing the action through your tears. The Canucks were the better team tonight and were rewarded with a W.

Solid road win and something to build off of for sure. THought the Garrison-Hamhuis pairing was terrific. Garrison has looked more and more comfortable with each game. He has completely alleviated all my earlier concerns in terms of the signing. That shot is ridiculous as well.

Dado

...when have you ever believed we'd get back less for Luongo than for Schneider. Weren't you an advocate of buying Luongo out at one point?

Although I did (correctly) predict that Luongo would lose his starting job by the end of last season, I'm not really a big Schneider fan. If I were a team needing near-term goaltending help, I'd want Luongo. And Schneider is now waaaaay behind Luongo's career trajectory, that much is indisputable.

I don't recall ever advocating a buyout, but I do recall advocating trading. But that was two years ago - we didn't pull the trigger then and in all honesty at this stage in the core's evolution I'd rather keep him and trade out some of core up front for rebuilding pieces. I think Luongo would make an awesome goaltender for an AV-flavored full rebuild.

Crows*

Defensively we looked horrible tonight, offensively we generated a lot of shots in the 2nd but we weren't really generating many quality scoring chances. This was the Columbus Blue Jackets, how are we going to be against a legitimate playoff team?

you have 35,000 posts.. holy ****.

Outside99*

Much better game from Edler, Garrison solid as usual, ditto Hamhuis. Tanev a little off defensively but with quite a few pinch ins. Barker was good offensively. Alberts was poor, just stood there on CBJ's goal.

Sedins were fine but Burr is struggling, taking too many low % shots, plus parking in front of net doesn't leverage his puck retrieval skills not to mention the uncalled abuse he takes.

Raymond with a good bounce back, Ebbett was good, smart and active, im sorry he may not be a NHL regular but is a much better option than Schroeder. Booth was good as was Higgins, Kassian struggled. Lapierre was poor.

Luongo was very good, shined in the shootout. Looks way better than Schneider at the moment.

Its amazing how depleted the depth is once a couple players are injured.

AV very un AV like behind the bench. Not sure why, he has a 3 year contract after all.

Refs suck - why bother having 2 zebras out there when they only make 5-6 random calls per game out of what is easily 50+ infractions. Save the $ and lower the price on Centre Ice.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think some of you might be having a hard time seeing the action through your tears. The Canucks were the better team tonight and were rewarded with a W.

Solid road win and something to build off of for sure. THought the Garrison-Hamhuis pairing was terrific. Garrison has looked more and more comfortable with each game. He has completely alleviated all my earlier concerns in terms of the signing. That shot is ridiculous as well.

I thought we were better team first half of the game by a mile, then we sat back as usual once the 3rd and OT started and its concerning, im not thrilled with us tonight. I dont want to pretend like I feel this was a game to get us on the right track either, because I dont think it was.

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
Hooray we won a shootout... against columbus.... a win is a win, but just like last game against columbus all it would've taken is 1 bad penalty or 1 broken play to have lost. Still not good enough, but a step in the right direction in some ways.

Positives:
Barker - He can move the puck and knows how to play offense, and suprisingly isn't a complete disaster in his own end even though he could be better.

Garrison - Just a rock defensively and has been for awhile, good to see him get a goal even if it didn't count for the PP.

Hansen + Raymond - They need a center because IMO everything that line generated was in spite of Ebbett, he really wasn't involved offensively and didn't stand out defensively, not a bad thing I guess.

Higgins + Booth - The physical play of Booth is really coming through and he is driving the play into the offensive zone unlike any of our other players right now. Higgins is playing smarter than he has all year and could easily be the defensive winger to a pass first player playing between he and Booth kind of like how Burrows comes back and takes center responsibilties for Henrik Sedin sometimes (Schroeder?)

Tanev - He has definitely developed a decent shot over the offseason, it's not in the class of Edler or Garrison, but it's not flat on the ice and it gets to the net.

Sedins - nothing needs to be said they are doing everything in their power besides kidnapping AV and shipping him to N.Korea

Loungo - More about the shootout than in game, he looked good in the game but better in the shootout even if it was just against Columbus had some good signs. Didn't flop on the first attempt, usually he seems to bite for 1st or second move then fall flat as they put it over top of him. And the poke check, I think he's doing it more this year and it's much more useful in a shootout situation than in a game, good to see him evolve.

Negatives:

Lappierre - He needs to sit if he's injured his speed just isn't what it has been, and the lack of center depth has allowed him to get too comfortable, when he knew he could be in the pressbox any given night his game was simpler and more hardnosed, it isn't that right now.

Alberts - Just lost out there, his passes have gotten crisper and less in peoples feet but he is still easily the worst defenceman out there.

Sestito - He is not a regular player, he has his moments but he should not be playing everynight, more of a coaching issue than a player issue.

The mehs:

Hamhuis + Edler - Still don't look as good as they can be, with Garrison and Tanev playing like they are, these 2 should be able to get their games together soon.

Burrows - Defensively and on the forcheck he is exactly what the Sedins need but seems to have lost a step offensively, I really think being on the powerplay is dragging down his offensive game.

Ebbett - Nothing special, still would prefer Schroeder here because Ebbett hasn't been an improvement.

Kassian - Just playing with no confidence or swagger right now, needs to be more involved or sent down and be playing 20 mins a night in chicago.

Hal 9000*

The bluejackets actually did a pretty good job of keeping the Canucks and their shots to the outside. Props for the guys sticking with it and not giving up.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I thought we were better first half of the game, then we sat back as usual once the 3rd and OT started and its concerning, im not thrilled with us tonight. I dont want to pretend like I feel this was a game to get us on the right track either, because I dont think it was.

It wasn't a perfect win by any measure but as I said, for 80% of the game they were clearly the better team and it's a step in the right direction.

Let's give the Jackets some respect here too. We just ended a 5 game win streak for them, they've been playing some good hockey.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Garrison was great tonight, Hamhuis looked better. People can say what they want about Booth and Kassian and their possession numbers and corsi and all that but they didn't get any great chances IMO and were on for the only goal against and even with controlling the play a lot still had a negative impact on the game, and many stupid decision with the puck by Booth especially. They can grind away awkwardly all game long and if they don't produce it means nothing.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site

In fairness, they were the hottest team in the league, with goalie who was #1 star of the week, and we just denied them a franchise win streak. I think its a reasonably significant win, to get us out of our slump (hopefully) and gain a little momentum ...but not much more.

I saw that the effort was there, but the larger issue still feels like personnel...we have no 2nd line and a 3rd D pairing that has no business in the nhl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad