Post-Game Talk: GAME #25 - Canucks @ Blue Jackets

Crows*

No we wont, common misconception, he is still viewed as an unproven goalie in the league who has yet to handle a full schedule.

Completely disagree. Luongos contract is a GIAGANTIC, issue for teams interested.

Cory is little to no risk with huge upside. Good contract, and if he doesn't pan out, only 2 more years on it.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I know I'll get bashed for this but all of you are acting like Luongo was God or something today. He wasn't tested all that much but to his credit he made good saves when he's needed to. He also got lucky with the BJ's missing the net or hitting the post. He was good and great in the shoot out but seriously don't get this talk of Lu >>>>> Schneider.

Schneider's performance in Chicago was the best goalie performance of the season. And this was only the Blue Jackets today. I like BOTH goalies but it just bugs me to see people switching over and ready to throw Schneider under the bus so fast. Luongo was good today but not amazing either like everyone is saying.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Completely disagree. Luongos contract is a GIAGANTIC, issue for teams interested.

Cory is little to no risk with huge upside. Good contract, and if he doesn't pan out, only 2 more years on it.

What do you think a goalie like that fetches? Because it certainly wont be a huge return like you claimed.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen. Organization still seems set on Schneider being the future #1.

Rightly so IMO.

Luongo's great, but his time with this team has run it's course. Gillis and him mutually agree on that notion as well. But instead of making this thread about Luongo, I'll take my comments to the thread about him.

On the game: Still hate the breakout, the PP, and the offense is suspect. 7 goals from the depth forwards is bad.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Solid road win.

Canucks were the better team for 80% of the game and deserved the W, even if it was ultimately in a skills competition.

Special teams were better, just didn't get rewarded. They'll get some eventually if they keep moving and creating chances like they did on their last PP.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
They're both great goalies but the team just seems to respond differently for each. I feel they rally around Luongo after key saves but they just keep dropping the ball for Schneider. Like I said, Luongo has a certain swagger that the team also exudes when he's on.

YouCantYandleThis*

This is a little ridiculous. Now Schneider's an unproven rookie? What about last year when he was a more proven starter than Luongo?

I'm seeing alot of moving goalposts, alot of shifting positions, now that Schneider doesn't have the sparkling numbers he's had prior to this season.

Personally, I don't mind who we trade, and I'd be perfectly happy with both. But a few of you acting like you've always known Cory was a less talented goalie/unproven/has less value were spouting off about how much better he was than Luongo last season.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good Win for a team struggling terribly. Playing a solid game is a process and getting a W is a step in the right direction.

They haven't played a complete game yet but hopefully things start turnin when Kes and Bieksa return.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The game, sir. :p:

Just confused why you singled me out... ? :laugh:

It was a decent game, I thought we played better than most games this season. Lots of interference but that's kind of the standard these days. Some good goaltending by Bobrovsky and bad luck on finishing chances.

Thought it was a decent coaching effort too. Guys coming in deeper most of the time and in general a bit more puck support than usual. Still like a million flaws but it's a step forward, so I can't criticize too much.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
we are bad but the rangers are worse.........they have freaking richard, nash, and gabriok and can't beat the Sabres who have backup goalie in net......I know their D has injuries but their forward should be able to make it up?

Crows*

There *was* huge upside.

Now he's the guy who couldn't hold on to the #1 spot.

I don't think so. Teams who aren't watching this team and following it 24/7 dont see that.

Cory is going to be a top 10 starter in the NHL IMO< but you will get more for cory.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is a little ridiculous. Now Schneider's an unproven rookie? What about last year when he was a more proven starter than Luongo?

I'm seeing alot of moving goalposts, alot of shifting positions, now that Schneider doesn't have the sparkling numbers he's had prior to this season.

Personally, I don't mind who we trade, and I'd be perfectly happy with both. But a few of you acting like you've always known Cory was a less talented goalie/unproven/has less value were spouting off about how much better he was than Luongo last season.
I'd trade Schneider for the simple fact that he returns better players IMO.

If the return is equal, you move Lu.

YouCantYandleThis*

And apologies Dado, I should have been more specific at saying, when have you ever believed we'd get back less for Luongo than for Schneider. Weren't you an advocate of buying Luongo out at one point?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I agree, and i am a big schneider fan, its just a misconception from canuck fans that we should get rid of him because he would fetch a ransom, he is not viewed by other teams as a proven number 1 yet, i do believe he will be in time, but right now i dont think he will fetch what many fans think.

YouCantYandleThis*

Regardless of goaltending, which is not an issue at all, the team needs work.

I saw a lot more hustle tonight, and a lot more effort, but I still need to see some offensive creativity for the players we have on this team. It's getting ridiculous watching the dump and chase over and over to no avail.

Not even gonna talk about special teams.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
No we wont, common misconception, he is still viewed as an unproven goalie in the league who has yet to handle a full schedule.

Different set of teams would be want a guy like Schneider vs Luongo (of course, visa-versa). By virtue of that alone, it'll be tough to decide which would fetch more.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Don't really get all the hate about the Canucks' performance. Outside of a couple of stretches (early 3rd period and part of OT) I thought they had pretty good control of the game and that was reflected in them putting up nearly 40 shots. People can denigrate the Blue Jackets all they want but they're a better team than in recent years now that they've got proper goaltending and are one of the hottest in the league right now. They're a hardworking team that isn't going to give up much defensively.

Scoring is definitely still an issue and I would've liked to have seen more good chances, but if this game was in the middle of an otherwise solid stretch of hockey I wouldn't give it a second thought. They've played far, far worse hockey so far this year than this game and hopefully it's a small step in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad